Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

German Fuels-Good News and Bad News

On the way back from the Chinese we pulled into the local Aral (BP) filling station to top up the Delica with Diesel. I was daydreaming whilst fillin gthe tank and it suddenly dawned on me that they had changed the Ultimate pump......to 102! Same price as the 100 but some extra oompf to boot. Initially I was elated, I should really see a benefit from the extra RON and I'm almost back to the Jap spec fuel but my elation was short lived! To compensate they have re-introduced the Super Plus at 98RON which is all I can buy with my coupons.
    As it stands I can still use the V-Power 100RON but I am now severely limited as to where I can fill up and retain my 99+ RON since owning the car. I can choose to fill with 102 but I will have to pay the full whack if I do which kind of negates the benefits of being over here.
    Time to work on the BFG coupons people as I can see a lot of peeps filling up on Ultimate only to be a little put-out when they get slapped with a bill for the full amount
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

do they still do the super vpower out there that was 102 i think
    been a while since ive been over though

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Haven't seen the Super V-Power so far but then I haven't exactly travelled much of Germany in my car.

My biggest concern is the Nurburgring trips, there's no Shell garages nearby, only an Aral in Adneau and I'm guessing that will upgrade to 102 if it hasn't already! That blows my holiday budget out the window. Better buy a few 20L jerry cans!

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

i cant think of a shell garage with in miles of the ring last time i was there i had a 580l tank i hate to say it but maybe a few cans is the way forwards

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Town.......................Street................. ............Area code

ALTENAHR...............ROSSBERG 91..................53505
    UNKEL..............UMGEHUNGSSTR. 6.........53572

nearest to the ring!!!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    On the way ... I was daydreaming...

Happened to me 2 yrs ago near Dresden. I pulled to fill my VR4, bit tired, got nozzle, filled up and whilst paying at till... doh!
    I filled up with... 91RON

Was so surprised they have in Germany such low grade RON...
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Quote Originally Posted by swinks

Happened to me 2 yrs ago near Dresden. I pulled to fill my VR4, bit tired, got nozzle, filled up and whilst paying at till... doh!
    I filled up with... 91RON

Was so surprised they have in Germany such low grade RON...
    Still see some of that around. i'm just glad I never mix the Ultimate 100 and Ultimate Diesel up otherwise it could get expensive!

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

The good news is that my coupons are perfectly valid for the 102 now, so I can use 100 or 102 as necessary. So far the Ultimate 102 seems a much better product.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Is there a large percentage of ethanol in the 102?
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Not sure Brad, nothing mentioned on the website but it does mention a blend of 'active ingredients'. It's the fule they use for DTM races so may be more info there.

Name
    Windsor
    Last Online
    22-10-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo IX GT Wagon

My Legnum LOVES the ARAL 102 superjuice. I will really miss this when I return to the UK next year :-(

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

You managed to BFG it OK then?

Name
    Windsor
    Last Online
    22-10-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo IX GT Wagon

Yeah, went through first time, even with the decat fitted. My wife's FTO on the other hand is going in for it's 3rd attempt on 4 Jan lol.
    I really can't think of a better car in the current conditions, the VR4 is just awesome - I took it out for an hour and a half yesterday just to drive round the range roads - haven't just gone for a drive for the sake of it for a while. I also didn't appreciate how good these cars sound from the outside.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ9-EZ86OTg

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Glad to hear it, strange that the FTO has issues.
    I think the VR4 is fantstic on the snowy roads, especially once the winter tyres are on. It does make you realise how the AYC can make you a lazy diver though!

Name
    Windsor
    Last Online
    22-10-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo IX GT Wagon

Yes, I think I now understand the value of AYC, having played quite a bit with power oversteer coming out of slowish corners. I find it works best with around 90% throttle - after a second or so the back end just realigns itself with no real counter steering. Gives you a lot of confidence when putting the boot in when powering out of corners. Am I right in saying that they didn't get the VR4 Galant in Germany? I've seen a few 'kombi's around and for sale, but no VR4s, so I really don't think most locals know any difference. I've had some epic moments blitzing some of those uber arrogant Audi/BMW/Merc drivers - much to their annoyance - after they've tried to bully me out of their way. In these conditions, there probably isn't a quicker A to B vehicle, less an Evo. I hope the snow stays for a while!!

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

The VR4 was only available in Japan and none of the AWD variants came over to Europe. You're right, it's great fun to see the faces of the Germans when the Japanese estate car gives at least as good as it gets. Mine is a little less subtle but it also means I can give them a bit more of a show!
    We also have an RVR Hyper Sports Gear R (if you don't know it seach the forum for 'The Fridge') which is the only one here and really confuses them, it looks like a mini 4x4 with rear wheel on the boot, etc but with an Evo III engine and drivetrain it is even more shocking than mine for them

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

I do not like all the money making with V-Power and Ultimate and stuff like this. There was an article in the local motor press once, which says thet the average RON is about 99, not more.

Additionally, from 2011, the german government will start "E10". So the amount of bio-fuel must be 10% at least. I personally think, that there can not be much difference to normal 98 RON fuel. How do you recognize the "difference"? With the normal V6 there is no difference at all...
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

i get better economy for sure and I can confirmt eh engine is definitely 'smoother' on the Ultimate 102. Obviously I can't provide direct evidence without doing controlled tests but I'm as it doesn't cost me anything more for 102 than 98 so I just get the best I can

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Not read the thread, but loving the vid :-)