Last Online
    03-03-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum vr4

Thumbs down My 1st car crash

Hi Guys newish newby here.
    I have had my vr4 for a few years now and have learnt a lot through ghosting around on this site. All was well until unfortunately 6ish weeks ago i managed to jump it over a hardwood old power pole at roughly 85 k's doing what i definately shouldnt have been doing particulary since id replaced the diff less than 4 weeks prior to this latest bout of foolishness.
    Anyway down to business.I've been quite busy and stripped the front, sourced a bare nose cut and stripped that back then gave it a nice coat of meister blue F**K that stuff is expensive. The shop reckoned retail was $180ish a litre managed to get away with $145 and thinners thrown in. So I've ground my old nose off back to the factory folds and offered the new nose up to it, everything lines up beautifully with the chassis rail needing to be pulled in less than 5mm
    Now a few questions

The front, bottom cross member is it vr4 or v6 specific or will any old galant/legnum do?

Who do i talk to about coughing up funds for full membership?

And did anyone else realise just how tough these cars are? my car sustained minimal damage more cosmetic than anything and thats after hitting a 300mm diametre post and landing over 3 metres away must admit to being bloody impressed. My missus always says I'm going to kill myself in it but I think she has that wrong.

Anyway this has gotton far to long winded so for those of you who made it to the end of this sorry tale any answers will be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance

Cheers

Cheers

Name
    Alistair
    Last Online
    24-03-2013
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1996 Legnum VR4

For full membership pm richard(onboost) he can sort it out for you

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

Kenneth crashed one a while ago pretty hard, they seem to be a fairly safe car in that respect, scary damage but the passanger compartment seemed somewhat in tact.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, they're pretty tough, it seems - probably a little ahead of its time when first produced.

I think the cross member is VR-4 specific, due to the different downpipes (because of the turbos) and the 4WD transmission. Q (VR4WGN) might be the man to tell you what the differences, if any, are, though.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    charles
    Last Online
    03-03-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum vr4

Cheers for help so far guys have sent a message to both Quentin and Richard so if all goes well i had should be able to get moving on this.
    Also is anyone in the Wellington area wrecking a pfl vr4 or have a garage load of bits and pieces? Just message me or contact 02102343435
    I will post pics of damage once girlfriend gets home and can post them up for me if anybody is interested.
    Cheers again.