Thread: Which is more accurate - GPS or Speedo ?

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Question Which is more accurate - GPS or Speedo ?

I thought my speedo was pretty accurate. I would drive along those odometer test counters and look down at my odometer and it would be dead-on. So I naturally assumed that the speed indicated on the dash would also be accurate.

Well as a retirement present, the company gave me a Tomtom 250 XL GPS. I placed this the window. I noticed it would also read the speed that I was traveling at and it would go red if I was driving too fast. It was then that I glanced at the actual speed and noticed that my indicated speed was even faster.

So while my speedo was telling me I was going 110kph, the GPS was telling me I was going only 105kph. I checked this about a dozen times and the difference would always be 5kph regardless of speed.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

For steady speeds, GPS will be accurate. The speedo will vary with tyre size and wear, as well as with any factory overreading built in to the speedo.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

An 8g speedo does overread a bit, while
    the odo is perfectly accurate. Considering your 225/40/18 tyres I would have expected you speed at 110 indicated to be about 108 actual
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Andy Dustin
    Last Online
    06-11-2013
    Country
    New Zealand

As the GPS is coming from a satellite.. they typically have a little bit of lag to them as far as I know. As Nev said, steady speeds, GPS will be great, but during accelerating, it will be slightly behind what you're actually doing I believe.

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

My speedo always runs lower than GPS, at steady 40mph Speedo I usually get 43/44mpg on satnav (I checked on two different types)
    using 225 45 17

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm surprised it's that far off Marc, but the effect gets a bit more noticeable as the tyres wear down. Pretty much every car speedo will overread slightly. Don't suppose a manufacturer wants someone to try and claim that because their speedo was underreading, they get clobbered for speeding and it is partially the manufacturer's fault!