Gary
    Last Online
    30-11-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    Volvo V70R

Not been on here for awhile.

HI Guys, i was on here a few years back as i wanted a VR4 at the time, i ended up going for a V70R AWD auto, nice car but full of problems and economy was crippling me, I am still into my Volvo estates at the moment i have a V70R fwd manual 98, best car i have owned by a mile,
    A few weeks back a kind gentleman didn't give way to me from the right on a roundabout at Bluewater, so now my insurers have decided my car is a total loss all for a bumper, headlight and indicator, so looks like i will be buying back the R from the insurance company and breaking her for spares,
    I owe my wife ££££s on the R over the years so i might be able too squeeze £2k-£2.5k for another fast estate, i don't really want to go backwards with the Volvo as i have the best of the bunch from the Volvo's made in the 1990's, so a 850/V70 T5 is out of the question, hence why i am looking at a Leggy/Galant estate, plus which is a downside i always modify my cars, Is it best to get a Galant VR4 so i don't have to pay import insurance? as at the moment i am paying £450 fc for my V70R Ilford Essex,
    Now is it best to get a tip tronic? as manuals will be out of my price range, are they any good? i can't handle another auto, plus the other trouble i have with my last auto i cooked the box, as the Volvo's don't have a additional cooler for the gearbox,
    What is the max power from a VR4 without breaking the bank. As in the Volvo's remap/decat and 3" exhaust gives another 50 fly bhp for under £500,
    Sorry for all of the questions but i am a complete novice on the VR4's so i will be doing a lot of reading and searching,

regards Gary
    In between cars.

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Sorry to hear about the V70R being written off.

£2-2.5k is plenty enough budget to pick up a decent VR4. It'll be tricky to find a manual in that range as they do tend to command a higher price. The autos are very capable and provided they are well looked after, will last a long while. There are many around that have over 150k and are still going. Adding an auto transmission cooler will help the longevity of the box.
    Insurance-wise, they are listed as group 20, but generally command a much lower premium than other similar Jap-estate group 20 cars (Legacy, Stagea etc).
    You can comfortable reach 300bhp or thereabout with some decent mods, but if you want BIG power, the VR4 can get very difficult and that will mean big money.

There is a lot of info round here, so have a thorough read of stuff and work out if its the car for you.
    The autos will average anywhere between 17-22mpg depending on driving conditions/styles, and manuals tend to be 25+mpg.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

The auto's are great, it is almost a manual without a clutch........ there dosent seem to be a single common failure for them, mine recently went but it was all sorted for £770 by Eurospec in Guilford........ fantastic work and brilliant customer service..........

All round these cars are excellent at everything they do, big comfy cars, loads of boot space, capable of 150mph, AWD, AYC etc etc....... there's not much that can out pull them or out handle them.......... Face lift Auto's are slightly more powerful from the factory, 280 rather than the 260 of the pre face lift....... there are cosmetic differences (I personally prefer the pre face lift...)......

Have a look around coz there are a few different models:

All are either Pre face lift (PFL) or Face lift (FL)

PFL came as Type V and Type S, I think that the type S has AYC and Traction control......

Also there was the COTY (Car of the year) model, which had the top spec...... Black leather etc.....

There was also the cold spec which has heated window wipers and wing mirrors etc........

Then there's the Super which was a top spec model with additional body kits.......

The car in your other thread looks like a super, not sure it was a super to start with but iot was a CVR4 up until about a year ago....... Happy hunting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_2008 View Post
    The auto's are great, it is almost a manual without a clutch........ there dosent seem to be a single common failure for them, mine recently went but it was all sorted for £770 by Eurospec in Guilford........ fantastic work and brilliant customer service..........

All round these cars are excellent at everything they do, big comfy cars, loads of boot space, capable of 150mph, AWD, AYC etc etc....... there's not much that can out pull them or out handle them.......... Face lift Auto's are slightly more powerful from the factory, 280 rather than the 260 of the pre face lift....... there are cosmetic differences (I personally prefer the pre face lift...)......

Have a look around coz there are a few different models:

All are either Pre face lift (PFL) or Face lift (FL)

PFL came as Type V and Type S, I think that the type S has AYC and Traction control......

Also there was the COTY (Car of the year) model, which had the top spec...... Black leather etc.....

There was also the cold spec which has heated window wipers and wing mirrors etc........

Then there's the Super which was a top spec model with additional body kits.......

The car in your other thread looks like a super, not sure it was a super to start with but iot was a CVR4 up until about a year ago....... Happy hunting
    PFL only came as a VR4 ie had all the gubbins on it regardless of manual or auto, where as the facelift came in the Type V which is the poverty spec and the Type S which is the top spec

COTY model was black leather, wood interior, chrome gear plate, pfl alloys but polished with black and came in pearlescent white.

The Super VR4 wasn't the top spec model per se, it was a run out limited edition model which came with
    Recaro interior
    Red carpets
    Red steering wheel
    Red gear knob
    Red handbrake
    SVR4 carpet mats
    Purple hi vis dash
    Chrome gear plate
    Splitters on the front
    Deeper side skirts
    Splitters on the rear bumper
    Massive spoiler
    Colour coded headlights
    Extra body work is black
    Came in Red or Silver only

Gearboxes, well the TC seal is the downfall of the tipbox but that can happen on any car, the only real problem you will get with the tip box is that if you get one with the wrong oil in it, they can die prematurely.

HTH

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Close, PFLs came as either VR-4, or VR-4 Type-S. All VR-4s were manual, all VR-4 Type-Ss were auto. All got AYC.

Facelifts came as either VR-4 Type-V or VR-4 Type-S, and were a lot more complicated on what came with what. Some without AYC, some without High-Vis dash, etc.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

I'll see your PFL and raise you 1 COTY!

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    I'll see your PFL and raise you 1 COTY!

It's still a Type-S though, just with Galaxy White paint, black leather interior, polished alloys and special badging!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

why do you all not just look for my thread?
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason