Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your help needed! Help us to decipher the VR-4 CAPS / ASA codes!

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Your help needed! Help us to decipher the VR-4 CAPS / ASA codes!

Last updated 4th Jan 2011

Greetings VR-4 owners!

As some of you already know, a few of us are working to document the variants of the Galant and Legnum VR-4's, this will allow us to build a web-based form for club members to find out how many / which cars rolled out of the factory with which options.

Firstly, you can access the list of chassis codes for 8th Gen Galant Saloon VR-4 and 8th Gen Galant Estate VR-4 / Legnum VR-4 (EC5A-xxxxxxx and EC5W-xxxxxxx respectively) by going to this link, Mitsubishi 8th Gen Galant & Legnum VR-4 Registry, and as more information is deciphered, more information will appear on this online spreadsheet in tabs (sheets) at the bottom of the page.

This is where we need your help, if you open the spreadsheet above you'll find a list of EC5A (Galant) and EC5W (Legnum) chassis codes, please locate your vehicle in that list and look at each of the Classification Code / Option Code / Exterior Code / Interior Code columns, each will be colour coded as follows:
    • All information decoded and most likely accurate
    • Possibly inaccurate and/or missing information
    • No information available at all, help needed!

When you find your vehicle, you can look up what the codes mean in the tabs at the bottom. Even if every one of your vehicles codes are green, please double check to make sure we've got the information correct, but please bear in mind these state what the vehicle left the factory in, people do change interiors / options after they left

If you find any particular code for your vehicle is yellow or red, please let us know your chassis number and as much information about your car as possible, including photos if possible. Information we do not need to know are engine spec, gearbox type or body shape. Everything else we will need to know, such as seat kind and pattern, dash colour, wheel type and colour, window tint, etc etc.

You can either let us know by replying to this post, or you can drop me a PM with all the details if you want to keep it private.

We will endeavour to populate this further by doing research in the ASA/CAPS system, but this will go a lot quicker if everyone gives us a minute of their time to let us know what makes their VR-4 unique

Thanks in advance

Edit: 4th Jan 2011

Some people are pointing out they're not sure what information they should be giving us, and in all honesty we're not sure of absolutely everything we need to know either! People tell me I should lead by example, so to help I'll give an example of mine..

14X.jpg

This is your bog standard VR-4 interior (ignore the gauges and sat-nav cradle), it was the first one released for both Galant (Interior Code 14X) and Legnum (14J) and mine has Option Code 000 meaning it's boring as sin.

Here is a table which you can copy and paste to help you, don't be afraid to change or add anything, the more detail the better, include a picture too similar to the above if you can

Code:
    Chassis Code:

Interior Cloth Material:
    Interior Cloth Pattern:
    Seat Type and Features:
    Lower Dashboard Trim:
    Sun/Moonroof Fitted:
    Center Console Trim:
    Steering Wheel Type:
    Roofrails / Rack Fitted:
    Tinted Glass Fitted:
    Cold Spec Pack Fitted:
    Parking Sensors Fitted:
    TCL (Traction Control):
    AYC (Active Yaw Control):
    Hi-Vis Dashboard:
    MMCS Unit Fitted:
    CD Changer Fitted:
    Stealth tailgate:
    Car Mats:
    Gear shift surround:
    Handbrake surround:
    Rear wiper present:
    Cruise Control fitted:
    Original Alloy Wheels:
    Remember this list is only a partial list of options, so be as detailed as you can
    Last edited by foxdie; 04-01-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Jason, I have deciphered a lot of information as well as transcoding it, please see the files I've exported here : Lee's Mitusbishi VIN Decoding Docs

For reference the option codes are related to the classification codes so a Galant with recaros woud still have a different option code to a Legnum with the same options. I've included a document with them in, unfortunately all my documents are designed to cover a considerable number of other Mitusbishis.
    Last edited by Beastlee; 03-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Cheers mate, will integrate it
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Once we have checked our cars entry do we need to save the spreajd sheet some how or just close it. How do you know that we have checked the entry.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    Once we have checked our cars entry do we need to save the spreajd sheet some how or just close it. How do you know that we have checked the entry.
    Hi Dave,

Once you've checked your cars entry, you need to either reply in this thread, or drop me a PM with as much information about your car as possible.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

We should try and list all the options first imho. Otherwise people won't think about some of the things.

I have a brochure from May 2001 which lists these options:

ASC/TCL for Auto's only. Strangely ASA lists LYGF as Type S Auto which is fine, but it lists LYGF3 as VR-4 Type-S W/O TCL/ASC, VR-4V(99M-) 5AT. Which to me implies that a facelift Type S without TCL/ASC, like my 0200998 car should be listed as an LYGF3, but it is indeed an LYGF.
    The tcl/asc was not available from Aug 98 to April 2000 I beleive, but reintroduced as an option in May 2000 with Auto's only, also when they changed to grey seats

As I was typing the rest of the post, I found out the answer From February 1998 to the end of July 98, PFL Auto's were available with the LYGF3 code and still had AYC, but no TCL or ASC and were still called Type S. They only made 31 of these from chassis 0101052 to 0101736. This is news to all of us I beleive!!!!

Ultra Violet 'cutting glass' (translation that was so funny I thought I would leave it. This is on the side windows other than the drivers and front passengers
    Tail Gate Spoiler - optional on Type V's only, standard on Type S (valid from Aug 98 onwards)
    Roof Rails (all years)
    Moonroof (all years)
    Recaro Seats + Momo steering wheel - note this could be two designations because from Aug 98 to April 2000 they are red and black seats and red steering wheel like Supers, then they change to Suede Grey from May 2000 onwards
    MMCS with TV Tuner
    MMCS with CD Stacker and TV Tuner - note, this strikes me as a strange setup because every car I've seen with mmcs has had a cd changer, but it is rarer to have the tv tuner, maybe this is a 2000-2002 thing from this brochure, it may be different for earlier cars?
    DSP Audio system with CD Stacker, 2 DIN Headunit and 7 speakers - this is the factory sub option I beleive.
    Tan Leather seats with wooden Nardi wheel, leather centre console cover, wooden shifter, wooden handbrake, wooden dash (I think earlier cars with tan leather didn't get the shifter or handbrake?)
    Side Air Bags (not available with Recaro seats, I'm unsure if they are available on coty's or tan leather cars?)
    Cold Area Spec

Note that some changes won't reflect in different option codes. IE all PFL's (apart from Super's) came with the wood dash. I *think* the grey Ralliart dash was an aftermarket option, but I would be keen to hear from someone that got their car with that if they have an option code (KiwiTT, I'm looking at you!) All early facelifts from Aug 98 to April 2000 had the carbon dash, unless they had leather and all facelifts from May 2000 to Aug 2002 had the silver dash unless again they had leather.

All Type V's from Aug 98 to April 2000 left the factory with the boring dash, all Type V's from May 2000 to Aug 2002 had High Vis. I've checked in ASA and none had the option either way for their respective dates.

Most PFL's had a non-tinted rear screen. My Turquoise car is option code 00J and as far as I was aware had no options. It has the non tinted rear screen. My COTY had the tinted screen though, but it had 000 as the option code.

Talking about COTY's, some COTY's do have option codes. The very first one was B2Z, but that was probably special because it was the first one! After that they only have 000 and 100, 000 is standard and 100 is the cold spec with a 120a alternator and various other things. I can't see anything different about the B2Z one. They also have the 17J interior code, implying black leather.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Brad, this echos my sentiments on Andy's thread. If you look at my spreadsheets linked above I have listed a few thousand option code variations because the option codes are specific to a classification.

Do Mitsubishi even have a way of telling what the option codes mean? If they do can we find out through someone with contacts there? I'd be happy to ask my dealer in the UK if it helps.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Figured out my option on the Turquoise car, it had BBS wheels, but no other options which makes it 00J

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Brad, was it manual by any chance?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Yep!

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Call me thick if you like Lee, but why does your link in post 2 take me to my sisters gmail account in south Africa !!

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM View Post
    Call me thick if you like Lee, but why does your link in post 2 take me to my sisters gmail account in south Africa !!
    Because you're signed in with your sisters gmail account to Google?

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Brad, having gone looking for your 00J option code in my data there were actually three references to it, putting paid to my theory, albeit they were all variations on LY[]F(3). I'm now having second thoughts on my idea that they are unique to classifications, which reduces the number of combinatins a little

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    Brad, having gone looking for your 00J option code in my data there were actually three references to it, putting paid to my theory, albeit they were all variations on LY[]F(3). I'm now having second thoughts on my idea that they are unique to classifications, which reduces the number of combinatins a little
    Thank f*** for that, I was dreading putting that into the spreadsheet

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

The only shared option code that means different things will be for 000 for Super's, COTY's and normal cars, where 000 will mean no options for a Super, whereas a normal facelift would have option codes if it had Recaro's of course.

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Because you're signed in with your sisters gmail account to Google?
    Your probably right Jase, but I have never emailed my sister & didn't even know the addy??

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM View Post
    Your probably right Jase, but I have never emailed my sister & didn't even know the addy??
    Has she been to your house and used your computer recently?

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bradc View Post
    The only shared option code that means different things will be for 000 for Super's, COTY's and normal cars, where 000 will mean no options for a Super, whereas a normal facelift would have option codes if it had Recaro's of course.
    Sorry Brad, can you reword that please? Trying to get some "truth" (as in a truth table) out of it

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

000 in a Super means no options, for a Super. IE recaros, etc etc. Same in a coty, it has 000 but has black leather and so on. The coty's have interior code 17J, supers have 29J
    000 in a standard facelift (or any other vr-4 however means no recaros, they would have come with standard seats for that year). For a facelift to have Recaro's it would have an option code of course.

The only options for Super and COTY's appears to be 100 for both, which is Cold Spec. (apart from the first coty with the B2Z code)

Name
    Pierre
    Last Online
    27-02-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR-4 Legnum

Good work brad, a quick query of my database shows there were 67 PFL Legnums with LYGF3 code, 36 in the range of 5102049 to 5102953, the rest in the range you listed. There were also 11 PFL Galants with SYGF3 code.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradc View Post
    We should try and list all the options first imho. Otherwise people won't think about some of the things.

As I was typing the rest of the post, I found out the answer From February 1998 to the end of July 98, PFL Auto's were available with the LYGF3 code and still had AYC, but no TCL or ASC and were still called Type S. They only made 31 of these from chassis 0101052 to 0101736. This is news to all of us I beleive!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast