Last Online
    06-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

Hazard lights have suddenly stopped working

Hey Guys,

So the other day i went to go and thank someone for letting me out by flashing my hazard lights, only to find that they didn't work, but oddly enough, my indicators worked no problem. When i got back home i investigated a little and found that when the button on the dash was pressed, the relay thats located in the fuse box under the steering wheel would make a screeching noise. I tried taking it out and tested again to confirm that it was the one and it was, when i took it out it also stopped the indicators from working, so i pulled the relay out of our other car (Maxus's) and popped it in, but it had the same problem, it would still make the noise and the lights still wouldn't work.

Im really not sure what might be the issue, i haven't gone as far as ripping the button out the dash yet, so maybe thats the next step, but i just figured i would post up and see if anyone has had or heard of a similar problem.

The news gets kind of worse from here on as its due an MOT and the tax is due to run out at the end of Jan so it needs to be sorted fairly swiftly!

Cheers

Giz

The Mongrel =P

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

sounds like a dodgy switch, try pressing it a few times to see if it cleans the contacts up a bit, if not then i have a switch here if you need it.

Name
    Josh
    Last Online
    06-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by psbarham View Post
    sounds like a dodgy switch, try pressing it a few times to see if it cleans the contacts up a bit, if not then i have a switch here if you need it.
    Thanks for the reply! I will check the switch out today! =)

Name
    Josh
    Last Online
    06-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I will check the switch out today! =)
    So i removed the hazard switch from the dash and took it to bits, the contacts were clean and everything looked intact! So now im really now sure what it may be as i have checked the switch, relay and fuses. =/

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I had this problem, I used a paper clip to cross the wires/pins on the back of the hazard switch (the green casing) - if you get a volt meter and look for the live, you have to then cross that with one of the others, im sorry i cant remember which it is - but with a bit of trial and error you'll figure out which two need to be crossed.

I don't know what the route cause for this was, but it occured after i was working on my ICE.
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Josh
    Last Online
    06-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by BraindG View Post
    I had this problem, I used a paper clip to cross the wires/pins on the back of the hazard switch (the green casing) - if you get a volt meter and look for the live, you have to then cross that with one of the others, im sorry i cant remember which it is - but with a bit of trial and error you'll figure out which two need to be crossed.

I don't know what the route cause for this was, but it occured after i was working on my ICE.

I had a quick look at the switch and was going to test the pins, but with there not being any wiring diagram on it and there being about 8 pins i wasnt sure which went to which. With me also taking it apart and checking out the contacts on the inside were okay (which they appeared to be) I didnt bother to mess with it any further, however if i need to pull it out again i will.

Dont suppose anyone has a wiring diagram for the switch?