Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What wideband sensor and gauge to buy?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Thumbs up What wideband sensor and gauge to buy?

What wide band O2 sensor and gauage to buy

LC-1, PLX ?

what sort of price am i expecting to pay.

I have a flashable ECU and cables to flash it.
    I have EvoScan to monitor.

do i remove the factory O2 sensor and fit the wide band sensors in it's place, i presume the factory ECU will now use the wide band sensor output and evoscan will monitor it as well.
    or do i add the wideband O2 sensor and leave the factory one in place for the ecu to carry on using and the only thing that monitors the wide band sensor is evoscan.
    i am not sure how it is configured.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

well which one you want depends on what you want from it and if you get a gauge for it or not

the plx is simpler to setup, and cheaper, does not require calibration, has 2 outputs wideband and a emulated narrow band and nothing more than this

the lc1 has a couple of other features on top of this , data logging and the wideband can be programmed
    it can be very sensitive earthing and setup is abit more involved, and requires manual calibration

either unit can be inserted instead of the factory sensor, and the narrow band is just wired in instead of the original sensor output,
    and the wide band is hooked upto a gauge or other suitable display

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

if you want reliability then the plx, if you want to replace everything on it every year or so then go for the lc1,

Ok the plx can do a few of the trick bits the lc can, but the plx just works, mine has been utterly reliable.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

My LC-1 has been fitted over a year nowwith no issues. Evoscan can do a calibration on it too so not as difficult as you may percieve.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The drawback of the plx is that it is more tricky to log the wideband output. However, so many people have issues with the innovate stuff I am glad I bought my plx. My map 2 allows me to log the wideband and I have the dm100 gauge that displays stuff from several sensors. I'd happily buy the plx again.

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

what sort of price would be expected for a wideband?
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Great info guy and it nice to see a wide variety of responces with the resoning behind the the choice.

So my next question is where to buy from and how much roughly.

I want to start adjusting my ecu map so i want something i can log the AFR's directly to evoscan and have visual display on the dash via some kind of gauge that will be an imediate warning if i have tweeked some wrong in the ecu and my AFR's start leaning out, and hopefully have a reliable setup so i am not having to continually adjust the wideband setup just to get a correct reading.
    I don't think i will be doing any more than this with it.
    Thanks in advance guys

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

My LC-1 is around 4 years old and i have had no issues with it whatsover.
    The Vee has 2 installed on his car for at least 2 years + and as far as i know, he has had no issues either.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Gly View Post
    well which one you want depends on what you want from it and if you get a gauge for it or not

the plx is simpler to setup, and cheaper, does not require calibration, has 2 outputs wideband and a emulated narrow band and nothing more than this

the lc1 has a couple of other features on top of this , data logging and the wideband can be programmed
    it can be very sensitive earthing and setup is abit more involved, and requires manual calibration

either unit can be inserted instead of the factory sensor, and the narrow band is just wired in instead of the original sensor output,
    and the wide band is hooked upto a gauge or other suitable display
    So for the PLX do you need something else installed in the for evoscan to monitor the wideband out, or can you connect a gauge to this output and evoscan, or it one or the other.

LC-1 how often do you need to run calibrations, evry time you log anything, evry week, month or year.

Are there any other wideband sensors and gauges i should be considering in the mix.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I calibrate by LC-1 as and when feel! Free air calibration can be done on the move. Just a matter of going a long at a reasonable speed (say 70mph) Leave in gear and take your foot off the loud pedal.. The car is now not using any fuel and only free air will be travelling through the engine and exhaust. Give it a few seconds and then push the calibration button. Job done. Continue with the loud pedal Start to finish 10-15 seconds..

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I normally fire my calibration off after the car has been sat overnight (12hrs + normally). A simple case of switching Evoscan on and hitting the option to calibrate LC-1. Again 10-15secs, then start up and dive away

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

So if you drive and don't calibrate on a normal daily basis the output will not be that accurate at all, and the AFR'on the gauge in the car will not be a true representation of the exhaust and will be way off.
    Or wil it be close enough to be meaningful but for a true reading e.g. Differentiating between 12.1 ,12.2, 12.3, always calibrate and you should get a reliable response.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    27-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I too am in the market for a Wideband o2 sensor kit, I've been leaning towards an LC-1 kit as they can be had for about 129 quid on ebay sans gauge (will post link when I'm back on my laptop).

Maybe we can get some kind of group buy on?
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    So if you drive and don't calibrate on a normal daily basis the output will not be that accurate at all, and the AFR'on the gauge in the car will not be a true representation of the exhaust and will be way off.
    Or wil it be close enough to be meaningful but for a true reading e.g. Differentiating between 12.1 ,12.2, 12.3, always calibrate and you should get a reliable response.
    ????? There is no need to calibrate on a daily basis.. Once every 6 months, once a month, once every 5000 miles ? Whichever takes your fancy. Like changing oil, some change every 4500miles, some 3000miles and some 15000miles..
    The handbook i think recommends, on installation, then after 3 months and twice a year or every 10000 miles for turbocharged car.. But as with everything it comes down to common sense and the use that the car is getting.. If it's only doing 4-5 mile journeys round town most the time, then calibration i would say is better done more frequently etc etc etc

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Thanks glenn i was a bit concerned that i would be doing it every day to get anything meaningful out of the setup.
    Wonderful info guys thank for all the input.
    Yes would interested in putting a group buy together to get a wide band sensor.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    27-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Here's the one I mentioned earlier: INNOVATE LC-1 WIDEBAND CONTROLLER + 02 BOSCH SENSOR

It's currently listed at £1290 as the seller has been away racing and only just got back, they'll put the price back down to £129 shortly, I've sent him a message asking when this'll be.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

This is link to one of many PLX kits for sale. but a lot of links to youtube and other gauges, ect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290438863988

just make it clear that both of these kits do not include gauges you pay extra for that.

does the OBDII gauge work with our OBDII protacol, i would assue not.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Well, I have Innovate, but next time I'd go for a PLX.
    Paul witnessed how PITA job is to find out what's been broken when it's malfunctioning. Apparently got my wideband running OK again, but stuck with not needed spare LC-1 controller.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Wodjno View Post
    My LC-1 is around 4 years old and i have had no issues with it whatsover.
    The Vee has 2 installed on his car for at least 2 years + and as far as i know, he has had no issues either.
    Yep, one of them is 4 or 5 years old and the other about 2. They have never missed a beat. Installation of the good earths and where earthed is the key. No short cuts, follow the manufacturers diagram and it should give you faultless service. One of mine replaced the narrow band to the ecu the other runs a gauge and the innovate digital display thing which also logs. That was an extra bit of kit though. I find it one of the best additions to the car as you can alter things on the PC. Eg the one running to the ecu, you can set it to keep the ecu happy with the right voltage switching but running an AFR of your choice (within reason) when in closed loop.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Dave - the link you posted in post #17 is for a funky gauge, not a wideband setup.

The wideband setup is here:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLX-SM-AFR-Air...item439f8666c4

The only issue with the PLX is that it is tricky to log without buying an additional bit of kit. I don't know anyone who has had issues with a PLX wideband setup, but there are quite a few that have had issues with Innovate.
    It should be possible to knock something up quite easily if you are an electronics whizz that allows you to log the PLX, as it outputs 0-5 volts depending on the AFR and as far as I know it is a simple relationship, something like 0v = 10.0 AFR and 5v = 20.0AFR. So 2.5V is an AFR of 15.0 (Don't quote me on those values, but you get the gist...) As I understand it, computers are very easily able to plot an analogue voltage output with the right simple cable and software. I don;t understand it well enough to tell you how though!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast