Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Kenneth's ECU Mods V1.03

Previous Versions Thread

Version 1.03
    • 3D NLTS - 3D map of where to cut RPM to when shifting
    • CEL on KnockSum - Will light up the CEL when knocksum exceeds a pre-set value (defualt = 3)
    • Tidied up the XML and grouped modifications.

NLTS
    Below is the NLTS map which I made for testing.
    NOTE: It is configured for my gear ratios which are not standard for 1st and 2nd.

On the left, the Gear units are a calculation which generally work out around what gear you are in.
    The calculation is done as follows: (speed * 256) / (RPM / 10)
    Be aware that speed and RPM are the RAW values as logged for RPM2Byte (?) and for speed in kph ( kph / 2)

You can log the results of calculation this by modifying some place in the MUT table to retrieve F641.

Because of the lack of precision in a number of factors (speed for one is very coarse) it is very difficult to pinpoint exactly what gear you are currently in, so this calculation gives a range. That range changes per gear.
    This number is used as the lookup for Gear on the NLTS table.
    The other used is speed.
    The result of the lookup is the desired RPM limit.
    The result is checked against Normal RPM Limit. If the greater than the normal limit, the normal limit is used. I implemented this after an error gave me an RPM limit of > 20,000 RPM

To build up the NLTS table, you log speed, rpm and the gear calculation. You put them in a table as above, then move the gear scaling down one to account for the fact you want the RPM to drop so you can change UP a gear.

I have given positions for 9 gear calculation points. nearly 2 per gear. You shouldn't need them but they might be useful for something. If not, ill cut them out down the line somewhere.

Again, the NLTS map in the ROM by default is the one I used. I calculated the RPM limit values on a spreadsheet using gear ratios and other stuff. You can do it this way, or log the real values. I don't think high precision will make much difference so this might actually work out of the box for some.
    I did just mess around to find the gear calc values though, so they probably need some work.

CEL on Knock
    You can set the Knock threshold at which the CEL will illuminate. Currently set to 3. So, when knocksum = 3 or more, the CEL will illuminate. It will stay illuminated while this condition remains true. I noticed it when it illuminated for less than 1 second.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Setup is per the previous thread. You will need the switch wired up and to setup the input bit mask. Please read the previous thread as per linked at the top of the first post.

When I tested this, I used a TPS qualifier value of 10%. This pretty much meant that any time I had was touching the clutch in and tried to use the accelerator I had the limiter operating. Quite fun, but a pain in the backside when I initially didn't realise that I have a tendency to just rest my foot on the clutch when going through an intersection.

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

How do I turn off NLTS and launch?
    -00 Galant Vr4 Type-V
    + Equipped with Type-S arches, genuine wind deflectors. only thing missing is the sunroof
    + Red interior with recaro front seats
    + Momo steering wheel
    + 600x300 FMIC, Custom hardpipes
    + Custom Downpipe+ Fujitsubo Legalis Super R slighlty modified/Custom catback + custom decat + Custom air intake with big K&N cone filter
    + BC Racing Coilovers
    + Advan RCII 17"x7,5 rims
    + Flexifuel /Gasoline + Ethanol E85, 850 cc injectors
    + Manual conversion with evo clutch (a standard clutch)
    + 2 x TD04-13T
    + Adam's 262 -cams
    + Xenon -projectors
    + Carbon fibre hood
    + About 450bhp/ 570Nm at the moment....with stock internals and clutch...

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

And btw, has anyone yet tested this on EM2428 ecu?

Name
    Gerard
    Last Online
    07-01-2021
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    2001 jdm evo 7

hey guys, i tried to load this map in a 7202 ecu case id340289 internal id EM2005 (this is the current rom it is using) and i keep getting an ecuflash error. any ideas why? please?

evo_gerard

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by evo_gerard View Post
    hey guys, i tried to load this map in a 7202 ecu case id340289 internal id EM2005 (this is the current rom it is using) and i keep getting an ecuflash error. any ideas why? please?

evo_gerard
    I had this issue with v1.02, you apparently have to remove an "F" from the XML definition someplace.

Edit: This is incorrect, see next post!
    Last edited by foxdie; 25-07-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Gerard
    Last Online
    07-01-2021
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    2001 jdm evo 7

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    I had this issue with v1.02, you apparently have to remove an "F" from the XML definition someplace.
    i figured it out. its like u said i had to remove the A in H8539FA.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by evo_gerard View Post
    i figured it out. its like u said i had to remove the A in H8539FA.
    That's the daddy!

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quick question, does this ROM support 2byte load & RPM logging? If not, is it possible to have that feature please?

Name
    Edmund
    Last Online
    18-03-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    91 Galant

They should be enabled on this rom

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

v1.03 is up and working in auto. Only problem is that it seems to fetch the ignition advance from 180 column when it should fetch it from 200 or bigger.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post
    They should be enabled on this rom
    Yep lateshow filled me in, need to change the formula in EvoScan for "Load MUT 2Byte Mod" from "0.3125*x" to "0.2326*x" to make it work though.

Also, related question, has anyone thought at upping the MUT baud rate in the ROM for faster logging? I'm not sure how practical this would be (higher baud means ECU devoting more time to "answering queries" than "preventing engine going bang") but perhaps there's a sweet-spot someone may know about?

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Panic time!

I tried flashing this ROM before setting off for work, it didn't work as it was pulling in an old EMKS11.xml (memmodel was set to 7203) and the flash failed, so I reflashed my backup and drove to work, dropping my other half off at their work on the way.

Because the ECU was flashed, it reset the IAC meaning the car stalled when I took my foot off the accelerator, when I got to work I fixed the xml and managed to successfully flash KS Mod v1.03 on my 7202 with the launch control features disabled, the car started fine so I thought "that's great, I'll reset the IAC and test the ROM out on my lunch break", turned the car off and went into the office to start work.

Not 5 mins after I get into the office, Chris (my other half) texts me saying he needs to go home urgently to collect some files from his laptop at home and that he's coming to get my car.. oops!

He's now driving the car home with an untested (by myself) ROM with the possibility of it stalling when you put the clutch down and try to brake. He knows it's doing this and I told him how to handle the situation (ie. don't put the clutch down when braking, change down a gear as quickly as you can) but I'm still concerned he's gonna prang it x.x

Edit: Didn't prang it \o/ Roll on Lunchtime!
    Last edited by foxdie; 27-07-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yay even more nippy! Using the extended map means it's leaned out slightly, still hitting 9.7:1 though, will tune that out soon.

I do have another issue now that'll stop me using LC but I'll start a new thread for that.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    22-07-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    99 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
    v1.03 is up and working in auto. Only problem is that it seems to fetch the ignition advance from 180 column when it should fetch it from 200 or bigger.
    Really? Is this resolved?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

How was this tested? I'll need to verify it before going any further.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Just some usage notes, managed to lean mine out to 11.5 and f*** me does it rocket along!

I got a little bit of knock (so I can confirm the CEL does indeed work ), so I'm going to back off the boost a tiny bit, invest in some downpipes and remove the strip at the back of the bonnet to hopefully keep everything running a little cooler to prevent further knock events.

Incidentally, managed to hit load 178, not sure what everyone else is achieving but it's certainly the highest I've ever seen

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

You should be achieving up to about 220. That starts getting difficult above about 4500RPM though.

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    How was this tested? I'll need to verify it before going any further.
    Haven't had time to test any further. But with old rom It definetely used the column 200-220 when i got such loads (3000-4500) but with my latest run it was straight from the 180 column all the time, i can post the evoscan file here. My 180 column says

from 3000 -> onwards

For example @ 5000rpm im doing load 200 and i'm getting 17 for ignition advance and i have 16 in the column of 180 and 12 in the column of 200. This COULD be a logging problem, Kenneth are you doing same kind of loads, then you can tell? But it seems that it can take values from column 200 or 220 but then the load must be close to 240. 2byte load is now quite accurate and the boost tells about the same.... But car feels good. With that kind of advance and boost I should be getting nicely over 500Nm My friends car has about the same mods, but it is doing much less advance there where it really hits the boost and he got 492 on a VERY warm day But thanks to you Kenneth, I dont think there actually is a problem here...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah, I am exceeding 220 load fairly easily so should be able to test it.
    Logging 2 byte values are always going to be questionable because the logger has to request the data as 2 bytes. So it asks for byte 1, then byte 2. There is always the chance of the data changing between the requests. It is usually fairly reliable though

I think I changed the ignition map between this and the previous version, make sure that isn't the problem.

You will also find it difficult to get EXACTLY what is in the cell due to the interpolation on both axis.

Another question is whether the cells correspond to another place in the map (i.e. different RPM point) which could indicate there is something wrong with the load or RPM values being logged.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast