James
    Last Online
    16-09-2011
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    v6 galant

hi new galant owner

Just swapped my v6 vectra b for a galant estate v6. Its not as quick as the vectra. What sort of power do the galants put out? Its a lovely big car with full tan leather climate cruise electric seats heat seats everything and already starting to like it. Is there anything I should do asap how do i keep it good?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Not much needed engine/electrical. But protect the rear wheel arches with sealant & bodyprotection! As long as they are not rusting protecting it these is a must or they will start to rot from the inside out (the 2 pieces of folded metal are spot-welded to each other, but there's some space where water and dirt can build up which will creep inwards starting rust and then there's no stopping it. Many, many galants (both estates and saloons) have this unfortunately.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi & welcome to CVR4. The V6 has 176 bhp IIRC.
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    16-09-2011
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    v6 galant

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSanne View Post
    Not much needed engine/electrical. But protect the rear wheel arches with sealant & bodyprotection! As long as they are not rusting protecting it these is a must or they will start to rot from the inside out (the 2 pieces of folded metal are spot-welded to each other, but there's some space where water and dirt can build up which will creep inwards starting rust and then there's no stopping it. Many, many galants (both estates and saloons) have this unfortunately.
    unfortuantly the rust has already started on the arches and is in a grey sealant so hoping to get that looked at asap. It must just be a different power deliver then as feels quick off the mark.

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    31-01-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

welcome to the club mate

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The stock V6 power in the UK is supposed to be 161 bhp. The difference will obviously depend to some extent on which V6 Vectra you had, as they weren't all the same!

The first thing I would do with it is give it a bit of a service. To me, this would involve: changing the plugs for some NGK Iridiums (BKR6EIX-11), changing the air filter, and changing the oil and filter (using a good synthetic oil), as a minimum. I would also consider changing the fuel filter, gearbox oil, and possibly the coolant. A lot of this depends on how long you're intending to keep the car though, as I would also be looking at things like cambelt & water pump.

Also, one of the easiest upgrades for the V6 is to fit a VR-4 strut brace. It bolts straight on, and will transform the handling.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    16-09-2011
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    v6 galant

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post

The stock V6 power in the UK is supposed to be 161 bhp. The difference will obviously depend to some extent on which V6 Vectra you had, as they weren't all the same!

The first thing I would do with it is give it a bit of a service. To me, this would involve: changing the plugs for some NGK Iridiums (BKR6EIX-11), changing the air filter, and changing the oil and filter (using a good synthetic oil), as a minimum. I would also consider changing the fuel filter, gearbox oil, and possibly the coolant. A lot of this depends on how long you're intending to keep the car though, as I would also be looking at things like cambelt & water pump.

Also, one of the easiest upgrades for the V6 is to fit a VR-4 strut brace. It bolts straight on, and will transform the handling.
    Cool thankyou for the tips. The vectra was running 214bhp as I had done some work lol. Where can I get the strut brace. The galant has 146000 miles should i worry about that?

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

For a brace, look through the uk parts for sale, theres a couple of cars being broken, or theres always ebay.
    Standard factory fit vr4 will suit

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The galant is pretty robust. The non-turbo V6 is very strong. The weakest things on the galant are gearboxes (They aren't weak, just that the rest of the car is very strong!) where the auto is known for stripping splines on the input shaft/torque converter and the manual is known for wearing it's input shaft bearings.

If yours is an auto, that could explain the sluggish feel, the manual feels a lot brisker. Also, as per Elnev, a service is always a good plan.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    16-09-2011
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    v6 galant

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    The galant is pretty robust. The non-turbo V6 is very strong. The weakest things on the galant are gearboxes (They aren't weak, just that the rest of the car is very strong!) where the auto is known for stripping splines on the input shaft/torque converter and the manual is known for wearing it's input shaft bearings.

If yours is an auto, that could explain the sluggish feel, the manual feels a lot brisker. Also, as per Elnev, a service is always a good plan.
    Its a manual bud. I mean the galant is just as quick as the vectra I mean.