Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Hate to tell you this Garry but i think you put the engine in the wrong way round

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Kin awesome!

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Awesome Garry and Allan! Keep the ticking of the engine, so it sounds like a diesel. This will be the ultimate sleeper car...

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Hate to tell you this Garry but i think you put the engine in the wrong way round
    What do you mean? its finally the correct orientation lol

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN-NZ View Post
    What do you mean? its finally the correct orientation lol
    Well, it will probably be going sideways a lot!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Then it'll just be the engine trying to get back to it's original orientation!

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    nothing wrong with that haha

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

In my excitement to post up the video last time, I didn't get round to adding some additional photos that were taken. So... here they are!

I start this update again with another photo of the engine and gearbox out of the car - this time to finish welding up the exhause downpipes where we couldn't get to them whilst it was in the car. We also took the opportunity to begin tidying up and re-routing some of the cabling from the engine, as our work last year to route it all through the existing heater hole was beginning to look a little too untidy for my liking.

The engine and gearbox went back into the car, and we put the remaining engine wiring back on, and continued to re-route and tidy, and in the process put all of the engine wiring into waterproof plugs, so that it's easy to disconnect from the rest of the car.

Once that was done, the engine bay is looking a lot neater without all that wiring on show.

Then onto the daunting task... sorting out the rest of the wiring. We had already removed quite a lot of unneeded wiring last year by removing everything attached to the automatic gearbox ECU, but it still left a large amount, so it was time to try to plug it all together, and work out what went where in the original Galant, so we can begin cutting unneeded bits out.

Now... what goes where again?

Once everything had been laid out and identified, we began to cut out the unneeded bits - AYC wiring, Active Stability Control wiring, ABS wiring, rear doors, heated rear screen, stereo wiring... To do this, we removed all the existing spiral wrap and insulation tape, and began at the endpoints of these systems, separating the wiring into "wanted" and "not wanted". The "not wanted" bits were chopped out when we reached a connector plug, and then chased from the other side of the plug and removed.

There's probably still more to come out, but we'd identified a large amount to remove, and we were confident that what we had was sufficient to get to the final end goal of the weekend - which was to start the car! You've seen the results of that already!

On a visit to the scrap yard, we spied a nice bit of aluminium pipe which looked like it might have been perfect for the inlet tract - so we quickly knocked together the remainder of the inlet. The straight bit off the Y-piece will be replaced with a water-to-air charge-cooler.

So... what was does the un-needed wiring look like...?

That doesn't even include any of the automatic transmission etc stuff we removed last year!

And finally... the final bit of original Anglia wiring to be removed, the front-rear loom:

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    04-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Lol at the last pic.

That is some amazing work! Well done to you both.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Wow!

I just read through this thread now...The work that is put in, is incredible! Looking forward to the rest of this.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Still love the updates so keep them coming.

Really looking forard to seeing how the final car turns out
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, it's nice for me to be able to spend the time to do this properly, rather than starting a job, and being rushed to put it back together it before being made to start on the next crazy idea (and then, not being allowed to finish that, before having to start on the next thing... and rinse and repeat...) by spending the time doing this with my dad.

And, of course, with my dad's 30+ years experience in the motor trade, and being highly respected and recommended, including being headhunted by many various garages in his hometown, this will be done to the highest standard in the end (even if some of it now doesn't quite look it ) - when his Anglia was SVA'd, the tester called over his colleagues to look at what my dad had done, commenting that it was some of the best and most professional work he'd seen for a long time.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    04-04-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

ive not been on here in a while and i came across your thread, started going through it, reading & looking at the post's & pic's then.. i got a bit of a lump in my throat .. only due to the memorys of my one & only VR4. i knew that engine from a young age lol, it was me who painted the Plendium red so it kinda matched the red theme that was going on, in the inside of a Super

has there ever been any other Saloon Super on UK shores since my old one got killed?

i also must say "top work" i love seeing old classics being powered with big modern lump's, certainly makes a change from folk shoe-horning a V8 in them

how it looked when it once sat proudly in the Super VR4 Galant
    Last edited by Big Ian; 13-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    E39 BMW SPORT

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Ian,

No, it wasn't nice what happened to your old Super. I originally was hoping to repair it, but the damage was just too great.

The various bits from it live on in other cars, for example the red carpet is now in Kryton's saloon, the Super front canards and skirts live on another Super that had been "de-Supered“, as well as being used to make a mold so that others can make their car look like a Super.

And, obviously, the heart and brains has gone to my Anglia!

The sacrifice of your old car has been noble, and its untimely death has been the savior of many others.

It should be commended... now, what's the highest honour that can be bestowed upon an individual... who can PM the Queen to find out?

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    04-04-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

TBH i mainly got rid of it as i had a feeling it may have had a shunt before i got it, on the same area it was hit when you got it, i removed the rear drivers side light and found traces of filler, then on the boot floor i found hammer marks!

good to hear it saved more to continue rolling along
    out of interest.. do you know if there are any of the copy parts still available? mainly the super saloon rear spoiler & front canards? i had someone asking me a few weeks ago as he would like them for his Galant VR4 (it's an ex members car)

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Not sure on the canards, but... I do have the *actual* rear spoiler still... awaiting either myself getting a saloon (which probably won't happen, not with having my Legnum and the Anglia) or someone offering the right price, given its rarity

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    04-04-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    I do have the *actual* rear spoiler still... awaiting either myself getting a saloon (which probably won't happen, not with having my Legnum and the Anglia) or someone offering the right price, given its rarity
    i passed on to the fella that asking about a super/saloon rear spoiler, he say's he got in touch with you but said you only have a rear spoiler for a super Leggie?

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

After managing to get the engine up and running last time, we had a small issue - any touch of the throttle would cause the engine to stall.

We didn't run the engine much past what was shown in the previous video, as we had no way to cool the engine. So, we spent some time putting together a cooling system, which would allow us to run the engine for longer than a couple of minutes, and perform some troubleshooting.

With some pipework made from some large bore pipe, and a loop of pipe on the heater circuit, we hooked up an old Mini radiator we had sitting around, to be able to get some coolant into it.

We refilled the "petrol tank" with petrol, hooked up the battery again, and I hooked up my laptop to the engine ECU to run EvoScan, and to the MAP-ECU to run the MAP-CAL software.

Upon starting the car, we could see that the RPM within EvoScan was around 700rpm, but it was showing at just 200rpm in MAP-CAL. The MAP-ECU was previously attached to a 6A13TT engine, and in the configuration it had been set to "6 cylinder". The RPM wiring had obviously been on the signal to the tacho in the dash, rather than how we've now wired it - direct into the signal from the ECU to one of the coils. Changing the MAP-ECU configuration to "2 cylinder" then showed the correct RPM - and instantly we were able to rev the car properly.

The MAP-ECU "mimicks" the Kármán Vortex Frequency given out by the standard MAF by utilising RPM, manifold absolute pressure and intake air temperature - with the RPM incorrectly set, it wasn't moving out of the correct RPM/pressure cell and adjusting the VKF frequency output correctly - this was then not telling the standard ECU that the amount of air had changed (increased), so was not adjusting the fuelling correctly - hence the immediate stalling.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Great job again guys!!! I have no idea how the sideways movement of the engine would feel like once you actually drive it, but if it's a bit too shakey you'd might need one of those cool looking absorbers that are sometimes installed on tuned engines/cars!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I've got 2 of those already - as my left/right engine mounts/roll-stoppers.

I think the majority of the movement is coming from the original Nissan gearbox mount - the 200SX had done 150k miles before the gearbox came off, and this is still the original rubber mount.

I've got my eyes on a polyurethene one - just need to get around to buying it!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast