Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Kenneth's ECU Mods V2.0

WARNING and Disclaimer

Using these mods is for Racing only and they should NOT be used on the road.
    There is no warranty either express or implied as to the sutibilty or correct operation of these mods. I do NOT reccommend the use of this ROM in any car for any purpose.
    I will not be liable for any damage or injury, including death, relating directly or indirectly to the use of this ROM.

By continuing to read (and subsequently downloading the ROM) implies that you have read and agree with the above statements.

This release if my ECU mods is a significant change from the previous version (hence 2.0) and please note that it is in no way compatible
    As such, the ROM that goes with this is accompanied by a new XML ECU Flash definition set (including the base XML due to some changes to base functionality)

If you use this XML definition on your standard ROM, your ECU will not work correctly.
    If you edit this ROM using standard definitions, your ECU will not work correctly

A number of features previously available have been removed but are able to be better achieved with the use of map and limit switching.

The switched items are
    • 8 Fuel Maps
    • 8 Ignition Maps
    • 8 Target Load Maps
    • 8 Initial Wastegate Duty Maps
    • 8 Load Limit maps
    • 8 Injector size values
    • 8 Speed Limit On values
    • 8 Speed Limit Off values
    • 8 CEL on KnockSum values
    • 8 Max Ignition Retard values
    • 8 RPM Limit values
    • 8 Mod Setup option values

Note: Where a map (such as fuel and ignition) is needed for high and low octane values, using different maps for high and low octane results in the use of 2 maps.
    This will be explanied a bit more thoroughly later.

There are essentially 2 categories of configuration that you need to get your head around.
    • Map selection
    • Selected configuration setup.

I will describe these in the next few posts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kenneth; 25-05-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Adding ECU image

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Map Selection

Map Selection

Map selection can be further broken down into 2 parts of which you can use either or both to have a map selected.
    • Condition matching
    • Switch settings

To select any one map, the ECU will perform condition matching followed (if needed) by switch settings. Once it makes a positive match, it will stop looking and use that map.

Condition Matching
    Conditions are in the ECU Flash definition under each map configuration and are labelled
    Activation Lookup 1
    Activation Lookup 2
    Activation Lookup 8

When selected, you will get a little popup as follows
    Activation Lookup.jpg

The shown lookup gives the memory address for TPS (can be found by cross referencing the MUT table with loggers such as Evo Scan or Open port 2 standalone logging).
    NOTE: You need to give a 16bit address, most MUT addresses give only the LOWER byte of a 2 byte address.
    As an example, TPS is item row MUT01 column 7 (request id 0x17) which gives 0xF07B. This is the lower byte of a 2 byte address and so you can see the screen shot has 0xF07A as the memory address (all comparisons are 16 bit)

By editing the Map definition (right click Edit Map) you will want to change the scaling to reflect the comparison you are doing.
    The following screen shot shows that I have changed the scaling to be TPS_Percent_16Bit. This is so I can modify the values in terms of TPS percentage, rather than having to manually do the conversion and enter the value in Hex.
    Activation Lookup Map Edit.jpg

There are 8 available comparisons.

To select a map, the ECU will follow the following logic. Excuse the paint flow chart
    At the top right shows an example of the address setting which will cause the comparison loop to move to the switch settings. Only the address matters, the value could be anything so long as the Address = 0xFFFF.
    Map selection flow chart.jpg

If you use all 8 comparisons, the ECU will continue comparing with the NEXT set until it finds 0xFFFF. So in effect you can stack them. This would complicate things though, so I would recommend using only 7 maximum and leaving the 8th to signify compare completion.

Switch Settings
    If the comparisons are ok (or the first address was 0xFFFF) then the switch settings will be checked.

This is done using the bit masking you might be familiar with from previous ECU mod versions.

This firstly checks the Activate Bit Mask On table and where Enabled is selected, it makes sure that switch has been switched (either to ground or +12v as specified on the table)
    If that comparison passes (or you have Disabled on all items) then it will check the Activate Bit Mask Off settings.
    This specifies which switches must NOT be switched.
    In this manner, you can specify all sorts of combinations.

You COULD switch all 8 maps with a combination of 3 switches (you can get 8 different combinations of on/off from 3 switches) or alternatively, switches can be used to group sets of maps.
    I.e. you could have 2 configurations with the exact same comparison settings and have the switch setting choose between which one is going to activate. That switch could indicate fuel type (E85 vs Petrol) for example.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 27-11-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Selected Configuration Setup

This section is fairly straight forward. There are a couple of things that are important though.

Most of the settings are value based and straight forward. For each map configuration, you set that value and when that configuration is active, that value will be used.

Assigning maps is a bit different. It is not done by value, but by map address.
    The screen shot below shows a number of things. First it shows the maps and, in brackets, their address.
    Also shown are the high and low octane Target Load map settings for Configuration 8.

As you can see, the values are literally the address values for the map to be used. It is also very important to note that there are 8 maps and 2 have been used here, one for low octane and one for high octane. This is important because although you have 8 configurations, there are not enough maps to have a separate high and low octane fuel, ignition etc. map for each.

Map pointers.jpg

To change the map you want to use, find the correct map type from the list and update the address to that map. You can quite literally use the same map address on all maps (I.e. low octane fuel)
    Last edited by Kenneth; 28-11-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

At present I have not attached the ROM. I am waiting for some testing feedback before I post it up. I may re-name definition sections too, so don't be alarmed if the released version doesn't quite match with some of the screen shots.

For now, I am after constructive feedback on the instructions and any ideas for making it more user friendly.

I am aware that this level of configuration is fairly complicated and, for most people, unnecessary. If you feel the urge to remind me, the chances are that this isn't for you and I would appreciate if you didn't post.
    From time to time I may delete posts which are no longer (or never were) relevant. Please don't be offended if this happens to one of your posts.

Later, when I get some more time, ill add some examples of configuration for things such as Launch Control and No Lift To Shift.

/edit: Thread is now open

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Righto so the parts I am still foggy on are exactly how the maps are switched.
    I flashed the ROM to my 7203 ecu and set varying rpm limits on each of the 8 "maps" and once the car had warmed up gave it 100% throttle and in all instanced it immediatly reverted to the 8th and final map. even though the activation lookup in map 1-7 were all set to FFFF.
    from whats written above am I right in saying when the ecu sees FFFF in any of the first 7 maps, it stops searching and runs the 8th map?

Accually changing between maps only takes place after you have installed 3 physical ON/OFF switches (grounded or +12v) into certain pins in the ECU? or can you set certain adress values to act as the switch such as TPS>50% activates high octane map where TPS<50 activates low octane and so on

correct me if I am wrong here just trying to get my head around it all before I go changing fueling maps and not fully understanding what map it should be running and why

apoligise for my lack of computer know how but im learning slowly

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

One point to mention, the flow chart is not very clear how it works. You need to have arrow in the lines between the box to define direction of choice. It is not a biggy but it would help.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

The ECU is looking for the first map configuration which matches ALL of the given criteria. If none of the first 7 can be fully matched, then the 8th is used.

So, the activation lookups are the first matched criteria. If FFFF is found, it will stop trying looking at activation lookups, but still retains the "ok" status and moves on to check the switches.
    If an activation lookup has a proper memory value in it, the ECU will compare that and if that criteria is not met, it will abort checking and move to the next map. (Skips the switch check)

So to activate a map configuration, you need to match the activation lookups AND the switches. If the first activation lookup address is FFFF, then the activation lookups are ALWAYS going to match and you will be relying on the switches to set the maps.

On the other hand, if the switches are set to Disabled for all, then you will be relying on the activation lookups to change maps. Alternatively you can use a combination of both.

Does that clarify things?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    Righto so the parts I am still foggy on are exactly how the maps are switched.
    I flashed the ROM to my 7203 ecu and set varying rpm limits on each of the 8 "maps" and once the car had warmed up gave it 100% throttle and in all instanced it immediatly reverted to the 8th and final map. even though the activation lookup in map 1-7 were all set to FFFF.
    from whats written above am I right in saying when the ecu sees FFFF in any of the first 7 maps, it stops searching and runs the 8th map?

Accually changing between maps only takes place after you have installed 3 physical ON/OFF switches (grounded or +12v) into certain pins in the ECU? or can you set certain adress values to act as the switch such as TPS>50% activates high octane map where TPS<50 activates low octane and so on

correct me if I am wrong here just trying to get my head around it all before I go changing fueling maps and not fully understanding what map it should be running and why

apoligise for my lack of computer know how but im learning slowly

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Good point, thanks. I am sure I meant to put some arrows on there, just ran out of time Took me longer to do the posts than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    One point to mention, the flow chart is not very clear how it works. You need to have arrow in the lines between the box to define direction of choice. It is not a biggy but it would help.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    27-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Here's a better flow chart to help describe the process of map selection.

You start at map one, you then start doing tests to see if this is the correct map to use, those tests are outlined here:

ksmod2flow.png

Just to clear things up in different / simpler wording;
    • Setting the Memory Address to "FFFF" (aka 0xFFFF to computer programmers) means "Skip doing anymore memory tests, do the switch tests next"
    • You don't need to have switches installed, you can tell the switch test to always match as TRUE by not setting them
    • If you just want to test for switch settings, always set the first Memory Address to check as FFFF, this is useful for hard-coding a map to come on with a switch

Hope this helps clear things up

Ps. Ken, sorry bud I didn't get to test the ROM this weekend, It had slipped my mind that it was mine and Chris's 5th anniversary this weekend when I messaged you, hopefully I can test gear selection in the coming days
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

That is a much better diagram, thanks Jason.

Thanks for the simplification too.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

right I understand now. so for testing purposes can you advise which pins on the ecu I need to wire switches into? this way i will know which map shoule be selected and can test if the ecu is registering and reading the correct map.
    think in the end only using 2 switches (00, 01, 11, 10) four combinations as 8 maps is a bit excessive.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    27-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Adam,

Please refer to the pinout diagram located here: Definitive EFI ECU Pinout

Any pin with a yellow arrow (apart from pin D-5) can be used as an input, the little number beside the arrow signifies whether this is a GND switched or +12V switched input.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

cheers foxdie.
    also @ kenneth with the new definition files do you think your enlarged maps will be tuneable via evoscan now. as the way I retune my fueling and ignition is using evoscans map tracer function

Name
    Pierre
    Last Online
    27-02-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR-4 Legnum

Hey Adam,

I was using Kenneths 1.03 rom with extended maps in Map Tracer ok, are you referring to the 2.0 rom?

Cheers
    Pierre

cheers foxdie.
    also @ kenneth with the new definition files do you think your enlarged maps will be tuneable via evoscan now. as the way I retune my fueling and ignition is using evoscans map tracer function

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Adam, I would advise talking to Pierre as I have no idea what you are talking about...

cheers foxdie.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaron View Post
    Hey Adam,

I was using Kenneths 1.03 rom with extended maps in Map Tracer ok, are you referring to the 2.0 rom?

Cheers
    Pierre

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    27-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I think he's referring to getting the Map Tracer functionality working with EvoScan on the KS Mods 2.0 ROM like thus;

ksmod and evoscan maptracer.png

EvoScans map tracer will let you view any logged item (Knock Sum for example) on a RPM vs LOAD table, you can then load in the ROM and it'll pull up the timing / fuelling cell where you click (see the highlighted cell, I clicked on the top, it autoselected the one on the bottom for me).

Once you've done that, you can tune it as you would in EcuFlash using the square brackets and then save the ROM or even flash it (although I doubt EvoScan can flash to our ECUs).

Unfortunately Adam I'm not sure it's possible without a LOT of effort, I'll take a quick look but I doubt that the 30+ tables will sit nicely with EvoScan

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Pierre how did you get 1.03 to work in evo scan I could not manage to get it sorted. I can imagine if you can get extended maps working via 1.03 then you can get them to work via 2.0 Although making sure you have the correct map selected could be an issue.

Foxdie thats the way I have always tuned used map tracer to adjust the values in the rom, save it via evoscan then flash that saved rom via ecuflash.

Not a great issue yet just once Kenneth has ironed out any kinks we may find in the testing stage be good to know how to use map tracer as its much easier to tune out knock with it when we do get to the tuning stage.
    getting the shivers thinking about tuning to a tank of E85

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Mounted a few switches today on the removable plastic panel underneath the wing mirror adjuster panel.

now to wire them in and test it
    IMG058.jpg
    IMG057.jpg

Name
    Pierre
    Last Online
    27-02-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR-4 Legnum

Hey Adam,

Map Tracer is picky about the names used in the tables, I found that removing the # characters from the names of the two hi octane ignition and fuel tables would allow them to load correctly.

I would load up a copy of the xml def file I was using but it is modified significantly from what Kenneth originally published to attempt to tidy it up and remove unused scalings. Just tweak the table names and see how you get on.

Cheers

Pierre how did you get 1.03 to work in evo scan I could not manage to get it sorted. I can imagine if you can get extended maps working via 1.03 then you can get them to work via 2.0 Although making sure you have the correct map selected could be an issue.

Foxdie thats the way I have always tuned used map tracer to adjust the values in the rom, save it via evoscan then flash that saved rom via ecuflash.

Not a great issue yet just once Kenneth has ironed out any kinks we may find in the testing stage be good to know how to use map tracer as its much easier to tune out knock with it when we do get to the tuning stage.
    getting the shivers thinking about tuning to a tank of E85

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

choice thankyou pierre

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast