Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Okay, tested the new ROM and definitions;

The good
    • The high octane and low octane target loads were indeed swapped around, now able to set WGDC all the way up to 100%
    • EvoScan now reckons (yes I programmed all the cars details into it) the car is making 276 AWHP - I take this with a pinch of salt, the rolling road in 4 weeks will confirm accuracy

The bad
    • The Bit Mask input has either changed significantly since the alpha or the code is just totally broken
    • Speed limit appears to be broken too, despite using speed to switch maps, this requires further investigation

The ugly
    • Looking like a prick as I tried to test the new ROM by racing a Seat Leon Cupra R off the lights and hitting the 4000 RPM rev limiter I put in for Valet map because the wrong map was selected

I'm gonna do another test tonight, when I copied stuff from the alpha ROM across I didn't set the scaling, I just copy / pasted values expecting it to paste the raw hex value over the top. I'll update this thread tonight when I get home
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Okay, I updated the scaling yet something very peculiar is going on here, Bit Field map selection just simply does not work for me with the latest release. I'm happy to put my hands up and confess to being a dunce if I am so, but this just does not make any sense and I've been working with this ROM for 3 months.

This is my current setup (green / red indicates whether map is intentionally disabled);

Map Number:
    1. Valet mode (Valet Switch on, low load target, little boost, 40 MPH speed limit) (Currently disabled due to no valet switch fitted)
    2. Sport mode first gear torque limiter (Map Switch on, Speed > 4 KPH, GEAR > 120, TPS > 15%, Closed Loop Disabled) (Currently disabled to reduce testing complexity)
    3. Sport mode running (Map Switch on, Speed > 4 KPH, TPS > 15%, Closed Loop Disabled)
    4. Sport mode overrun (Map Switch on, Speed > 4 KPH, Closed Loop Disabled, Rich overrun with negative timing) (Currently disabled due to not working as intended)
    5. Sport mode Anti-lag and Launch control (Map Switch on, TPS > 75%, Clutch down, Closed Loop Disabled)
    6. Sport mode idling (Map Switch on)
    7. Eco mode running (Speed > 10 KPH, low load target, little boost)
    8. Eco mode idling & failsafe

Switches
    • B-11 = Clutch Switch
    • B-14 = Map Selection Switch

My ECU is stuck on map 6 because the ECU thinks both my input switches (clutch switch for launch control and map selection switch for sport / eco) are enabled. For those questioning if the switch is working, note that both input switches (clutch switch and map switch) are affected, and were working fine this morning with the old testing release of V2.0.

Here's a screenshot of the map selection assignments for map 6;

Screen shot 2012-03-19 at 19.56.43.png

Note that the first Memory Address test is 0xFFFF (meaning "check switches" before selecting / skipping this map) and the bitfields are configured to activate if switch B-14 is connected to ground. No matter which position the switch was in, the ECU would still think it was connected to ground.

Also, when stationary and in neutral with the clutch pedal up, if I floored the accelerator I could trigger map 5 (anti-lag / launch control). This should only trigger if both B-11 and B-14 switches are connected to ground;

Screen shot 2012-03-19 at 20.02.21.png

In that map, the first Memory Address test is 0xF07A (Throttle Position Sensor) should match above 75% and the second Memory Address test is 0xFFFF (check switches), with both B-11 and B-14 switches needing to be activated to match this map. Neither switch were activated yet this map would still activate with the vehicle stationary and the throttle floored.

It's also worth noting that Gear Calc (Memory Address 0xF640) and Force Open Loop (KS Mods Setup Bits) are also buggered.

Ken / Steve / Lauri / anyone else, can you verify these findings for me please? I'd like to know I'm not going losing my marbles
    Last edited by foxdie; 20-03-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added new info

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

I see to run antilag you have assigned one map purely for antilag/launch control is this because you cannot run it within another map like the previous KSmods rom (which i have currently) where the launch control is activated when the car is stationary and it disables when the abs rings pick up movement from dropping the clutch.

I ask because I would ideally like to have three switches hiden behind the pop out pannel underneath the electric mirror adjusting switch, (the pannel where the tcl swich is on PFL's) hidden away from people fiddling with them and only I know where they are and what they do. but if I need a clutch switch for the launch controller to be used I will wire in 2 switches behing this pannel and one clutch switch

Name
    Trent
    Last Online
    08-11-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum (Manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    I see to run antilag you have assigned one map purely for antilag/launch control is this because you cannot run it within another map like the previous KSmods rom (which i have currently) where the launch control is activated when the car is stationary and it disables when the abs rings pick up movement from dropping the clutch.
    Adam, as I understand it:

The way the new KS MODS works is that 'anti lag' and 'launch control' are implemented by making a new map. So for example to get antilag you have a new timing map with retarded ignition in the right areas, for launch control a new map with a different RPM limiter, etc.

There is no longer any specific launch control or anti lag code.

Hence you would have to basically duplicate a map to get the AL/LC feature and use up an extra of your 8 maps.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yep, both pro and con of using KS 2.0 is you're given a blank slate to program the ECU to do specific tasks as you see fit.

People think you need 3 switches to select between 8 maps, this isn't always the case. You can activate maps based on other aspects such as what position the throttle is in. You could implement anti-lag purely without any switches if you wanted to (test to make sure the vehicle is stationary and the accelerator is above 75% and there you go, activate anti-lag, as soon as the vehicle gets above 4 KPH revert to normal operating mode). The simple answer is unless you've got 8 different modes of operation that purely need to be operated via switched, you only realistically need 1 switch dash-mounted, possibly 2 if you want valet mode, and possibly a third switch connected to the clutch.

Incidentally, I found this clutch switch to be an easy fit

You can also reuse fuelling and timing tables in multiple maps. To reinforce that point, there are 8 modes of operation (we call them "maps", I'm not sure this is the best word to use) and in addition to that, there are the following number of tables for each of the below;
    • 8x Target Load Tables
    • 8x Wastegate Duty Cycle Tables
    • 8x Load Limit (Boost Cut) Tables
    • 8x Fuel Tables
    • 8x Ignition Timing Tables

The key point here is that there isn't one table per "map" (mode of operation), you can reuse one table in multiple maps, for example you can have 3 fuelling maps (anti-lag, high octane and low octane) and use the high / low octane for most maps (ie. both economy and sport modes) with the anti-lag map only used when in anti-lag mode.

For Anti-Lag, as Trent has outlined, you use one map that activates when Anti-Lag is required, this map would use one ignition timing table with all timing retarded above a certain RPM as well as all fuel set to run stupidly rich above the same RPM. Here is a example of how both tables would be configured for 4000 RPM;

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 12.52.31.png

It's worth noting though that this is still a work-in-progress and builds boost most likely too quickly, as demonstrated in this Youtube video.

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

Some clearing questions for Jason and Kenneth:

Im planning to try the E85 soon. Is there a way I can get the switched maps work in away the maps are changed only throught the 3 switches? And how will this work? Which inputs to the ecu? Do i ground the signals. Im planning to have 8 sets of maps for different mixes eg. map number one = 98E and map number eight= E85 and the ones in the middle interpolate between those values. Will this be possible?
    -00 Galant Vr4 Type-V
    + Equipped with Type-S arches, genuine wind deflectors. only thing missing is the sunroof
    + Red interior with recaro front seats
    + Momo steering wheel
    + 600x300 FMIC, Custom hardpipes
    + Custom Downpipe+ Fujitsubo Legalis Super R slighlty modified/Custom catback + custom decat + Custom air intake with big K&N cone filter
    + BC Racing Coilovers
    + Advan RCII 17"x7,5 rims
    + Flexifuel /Gasoline + Ethanol E85, 850 cc injectors
    + Manual conversion with evo clutch (a standard clutch)
    + 2 x TD04-13T
    + Adam's 262 -cams
    + Xenon -projectors
    + Carbon fibre hood
    + About 450bhp/ 570Nm at the moment....with stock internals and clutch...

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

And another question: Has anyone tested the "fuel primer enrich" because this will be vital with the RE85 fuel....

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
    Some clearing questions for Jason and Kenneth:

Im planning to try the E85 soon. Is there a way I can get the switched maps work in away the maps are changed only throught the 3 switches? And how will this work? Which inputs to the ecu? Do i ground the signals. Im planning to have 8 sets of maps for different mixes eg. map number one = 98E and map number eight= E85 and the ones in the middle interpolate between those values. Will this be possible?
    Right, in your use case you're only going to get 7 maps, you must reserve one map for "fallback", ie. low octane.

The switches I know to work perfectly are B-11 and B-14 that switch to ground, I tried using D-1 but had a bad experience (this signal goes live when the engine is cranked, triggering all injectors firing at the same time).

As we know B-11 and B-14 to be good, I would try the next GND switched pin which would be B-16, or if that's in use, try C-2.

As for actually switching between those maps, you could have 3 switches to select between the maps, but that's clumsy and easy to get wrong. I started to look into either a rotary binary switch or a microcontroller such as an ATMega85 with a LED output to indicate which map was active, maybe there's an idea there for you?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

hmm thats a shame as you must have an individual map for antilag for each fuel but thats ok just more fiddling to get setup, will go buy a clutch switch soon and wire in. cheers for clearing that up jason

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    hmm thats a shame as you must have an individual map for antilag for each fuel but thats ok just more fiddling to get setup, will go buy a clutch switch soon and wire in. cheers for clearing that up jason
    How many fuel types are you creating maps for??

Just for the purposes of Anti-Lag, I don't foresee you needing multiple versions of the Anti-Lag maps per fuel type, the ignition timing table will be applicable to all fuels (you need to retard the timing to negative figures, that's a certainty), the fuel table is questionable, however as this map doesn't do anything under load you could set the non-antilag parts of the fuel table to averages of all the other fuelling tables in those matching cells, this should hopefully cover all fuel types

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

As Jason said.

Besides, if you run multiple fuel types with high/low octane maps, you will run out of maps before you run out of configurations. As such, adjust your injector scaling on a free configuration to get loads of fuel and then use the same ignition map across all anti-lag setups.

Name
    Trent
    Last Online
    08-11-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum (Manual)

Can someone show me a photo of your clutch switch setup on the pedal?

I stole a brake switch off my wrecked PFL VR-4 but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by lathiat View Post
    Can someone show me a photo of your clutch switch setup on the pedal?

I stole a brake switch off my wrecked PFL VR-4 but I'm not sure what to do with it.
    Oh go on then... this is an animated gif from 2 slightly different perspectives to help you see how I installed this brake switch (click to open / animate)...

clutchswitch.gif

Name
    Trent
    Last Online
    08-11-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum (Manual)

Ohh you just replaced the factory stopper.. I see.. that should have been obvious.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by lathiat View Post
    Ohh you just replaced the factory stopper.. I see.. that should have been obvious.
    smugmode.jpeg

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Right, in your use case you're only going to get 7 maps, you must reserve one map for "fallback", ie. low octane.

The switches I know to work perfectly are B-11 and B-14 that switch to ground, I tried using D-1 but had a bad experience (this signal goes live when the engine is cranked, triggering all injectors firing at the same time).

As we know B-11 and B-14 to be good, I would try the next GND switched pin which would be B-16, or if that's in use, try C-2.

As for actually switching between those maps, you could have 3 switches to select between the maps, but that's clumsy and easy to get wrong. I started to look into either a rotary binary switch or a microcontroller such as an ATMega85 with a LED output to indicate which map was active, maybe there's an idea there for you?

We are trying to build a device that converts the ethanol % sraight into a mix of three outputs that can be grounded?

What about low octane fuel, how does low octane fuel and ignition work in KS 2.0. If i get knock what does ecu do, which map number it uses for interpolation?

Jason: are we still using chat, if so, log on someday and we can discuss this matter?

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
    We are trying to build a device that converts the ethanol % sraight into a mix of three outputs that can be grounded?

What about low octane fuel, how does low octane fuel and ignition work in KS 2.0. If i get knock what does ecu do, which map number it uses for interpolation?

Jason: are we still using chat, if so, log on someday and we can discuss this matter?
    Will answer these soon, making a flowchart

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

@foxdie what metal inserts did you use to insert into the blank pin holes of the green ecu plugs.
    I installed my clutch switch today and removed my ecu but couldnt pull one of the stock connectors out. hopefully scott still has his cut loom lying around so i can poach some inserts off that

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

@Adam.Findlay I took them from an old wiring loom, far easier and accessible in quite a few Mitsubishis / Toyotas / Hyundais / Possibly even Mazdas

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

sweet i tried pillaging some from the spare loom from my flatmates mk3 supra but they were the wrong size. will go and get some from scott has he has a loom in bits. Thanks!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast