Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Thumbs up AMSoil unaversal ATF or AMSoil super shift ATF

thought i would share this, as many of you probably don't know the answer.
    This is the question i asked Don (AMSoil)

Hi Don,
    i have been meaning to ask you this for some time.

is there any benefit going for the super shift atf over the standard atf in a VR4 running about 300bhp.
    would it speed up the shifts, make them more of a snappy change, and if so would it make the standard shift very jerky in normal driving, rather than the lazy/smooth shift i have now.
    i would normally use AMSoil standard ATF, but last time due to money trouble when i changed my autobox i used millers ATF spIII compatable stuff which seem to be working OK.
    any advice would be appreciated.
    cheers Dave

Don's response:-

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your enquiry, the super shift is strictly for drag racing purposes and offers very little if any slip. Yes it would make for violent gear changes. I would not use it in a VR4. The 'normal' Amsoil ATF is used in dedicated drag racing cars with upto 2000BHP and wall pulling torque. in these applications the wear is reduced from a 3 times per season rebuild (special parts , kevlar plates etc) to a winters check over. The Amsoil Universal synthetic ATF will easily cope with whatever a VR4 can throw at it and more. It also cleans as it goes along being detergent based and will take 100 degrees additional heat and last 3+ times longer.
    So no, use the normal ATF it is simply the best. Other 'in spec' ATFs will do the job but will need changing very regularly. They also do not clean and so when they start to break down the box starts to get contaminated inside.
    VR4 owners used to have gearbox failures all the time which is why Kieran got us on the web site back in 2004/5.
    Hope this answers all
    Regards Don

hope this helps someone in the future!

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, that's all info that has been around here for a while, lurking in the corners now though I guess! TBH Amsoil ATF is the reason I am an Amsoil fan now. I have had a couple of iffy boxes and Amsoil made them behave much better!