Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

VR-4 model information

Introduction:

Over the 6 years of 8th Generation VR-4 production, the primary mechanicals stayed the same - the drivetrain, including engine, gearbox and brakes, were constant however the specifications and options were changed over time, with the primary upgrade occurring in August 1998.

August 1996 to July 1998 (prefacelift):

There were two main models available with two limited run special editions. All prefacelift VR-4s have AYC along with the High Vis dash. Almost all options such as sunroof/moonroof, colours, tan leather or fabric, cold or warm spec and side airbags were available on standard models, with the exception of the COTY and Super VR-4s.

The various models and their differences are listed below:

VR-4

This was the manual version with 206kW (276bhp/280PS) at 5500rpm and 363Nm (268lb-ft) at 4000rpm. An AYC differential was fitted at the rear, but there was no option for stability or traction control. Standard equipment from factory included multispoke BBS forged wheels, although these were often changed for the standard 5 spoke Enkei wheels. Both designs were 16x6”, 46mm offset and came with 205/55/16 tyres. The BBS wheels are 1.5kg lighter than the Enkei wheels. The standard interior was a dark grey fabric with various highlight colours woven into the main grey and black colours. The steering wheel was the standard 4 spoke design. Original price in Japan was 2,980,000 Yen for Galants and 3,060,000 Yen for Legnums.

VR-4 Type-S

Only available with an automatic gearbox and included stability control (ASC) that cannot be switched off and traction control (TCL). The TCL turns itself on with the car but can be turned off via a switch on the dashboard. The ASC can apply the brakes individually to help bring the car back in line with its intended direction by using G-sensors, steering wheel angle sensor and wheel speed sensors. The TCL simply limits engine power by closing the throttle and in turn limiting the power output. When either system is functioning a ‘skidding car’ icon lights up on the dashboard and flashes. Again, all prefacelift VR-4s came with the AYC diff including the Type-S. The standard interior trim and steering wheel were the same as the manual cars. To help protect the automatic gearbox the engine was slightly detuned by setting it to run at a lower turbo boost setting of approximately 7PSI (0.48bar), whereas the manual version was set to approx 8PSI (0.54bar). This resulted in the car being rated at 191kW (256bhp/260PS) and 343Nm (253lb-ft), still at the same engine speeds as the peak outputs in the manual cars. The engine is identical and an increase in boost via an aftermarket boost controller will ‘fix’ the power output. Due to the gearbox, the Type-S is 40kg heavier than the standard VR-4. Original price 3,094,000 Yen for Galants and 3,174,000 Yen for Legnums.

First Special Edition – COTY model – beginning to middle of 1997

The entire 8th Generation Galant and Legnum range won the Japanese Car Of The Year (COTY) award for 1996-1997. Mitsubishi created a special edition to celebrate this victory. The COTY VR-4 model was only available in Legnum form, and with only one specification (there was also a 1.8 GDI Galant COTY model released). All were VR-4 Type-Ss with the intent of showing off all of the technology available in the range, coming standard with AYC, ASC and TCL. The only interior option was black leather with matching door trims. They were the only VR-4s ever to come with black leather interior, other models were only available with tan leather. The steering wheel was the standard wood and leather combination that came on the tan leather cars. The exterior colour scheme was limited to Pearl White, paint code W75. Few prefacelift VR-4s were optioned with this colour code, most came with solid white, this same Pearl colour became the standard white on facelift VR-4s. The other exterior features unique to the COTY models were two badges on the D pillars with COTY writing on them, and the stock 5 spoke wheels came in a polished finish with dark edging. None were available with the moonroof optional on other VR-4s, or the MMCS system. These were still tuned to 191kW (256bhp/260PS), 343Nm (253lb-ft).

Second Special Edition – Super VR-4 – middle of 1998

These were a limited run of approximately 500-800 VR-4s to simply get rid of the old prefacelift chassis for the introduction of the facelift models due in August 1998. They were only available in two colours, Redma, a bright red, and Hamilton Silver. Both these colours were standard prefacelift colours. The Super VR-4s were all Type-Ss and as such were rated at 191kW (256bhp/260PS), 343Nm (253lb-ft). There are a number of exterior and interior features unique to the Super VR-4 which make spotting them very easy. For the interior they were the only prefacelifts to come standard with Recaro seats for the driver and front passenger as well as the 3 spoke Momo steering wheel that was standard on some FTO models and Evolution 4 through 6. These would become options for the facelift models. The door cards and rear seats were black with a red fleck pattern on them to match the Recaro seats. The exact same colours were standard on early Facelifts. The gear shift cover plate was coloured silver, this became standard on facelifts too. Lastly the centre console came in a yellow/grey carbon fibre imitation weave, all other prefacelifts had a plastic wood grain centre console. The completely unique features to the interior were the red floor carpet with matching red and black floor mats, red leather on the gear stick and hand brake lever and finally the numbering on the Tachometer and Speedometer had a purple ring around their arc. Externally the chassis was the same but there was a new body kit consisting of Canards on the front bumper, much larger side skirts and rear skirt. All of these parts were black in colour, contrasting with the primary body colour. The rear wing on Legnum Super VR-4s was body coloured and stood up in the airflow above the roofline it also had a separate section underneath making it a bi-plane wing. The Galant Super VR-4s came with a large wing resembling the wing on Evolution 5s. The sides and base of the Galant wing were body coloured but the large centre section and middle divider were black. Legnum Super VR-4s have the centre section of the tailgate where Legnum is written in silver (the brochures refer to it as Titanium). The inside of the headlights were body coloured on both Red and Silver Super VR-4s. Lastly the tip of the exhaust was changed to a circular tip with the Ralliart emblem on it. No Super was available with a moonroof or sunroof (Legnum and Galant respectively), or MMCS. The Supers all came with the standard Enkei 5 spoke wheels.

August 1998 to April 2000 (facelift):

VR-4 models became more complicated with the August 1998 Facelift, there were now VR-4s available with and without AYC. The ASC and TCL system was now optional on Auto VR-4s, it was a rare option though. New options were available, the Momo Steering wheel and Recaro seats from the Super VR-4 could be optioned on all models, while the tan leather option was still available. The centre console was the yellow/grey carbon fibre imitation weave from Super VR-4s as well. The cars with tan leather still had the woodgrain centre console. The standard seats were the same as before but wore the black and red fleck coloured fabric from Super VR-4s. All facelift automatics have 206kW (276bhp/280PS) and 363Nm (268lb-ft) just like the manual VR-4s. Stock facelifts tend to run slightly higher boost than prefacelifts, at around 9PSI (0.6bar) even though they are rated at the same power and torque figures. The small increase in boost is only apparent in the middle of the rpm range increasing torque. By 5000rpm the boost has dropped down to the same level as prefacelifts. The overall difference is small and would only result in 10Nm (7lb-ft) or less increase in torque. New colours were introduced, including a very dark blue called Indigo Blue and medium burgundy colour called Roanne Red. Mechanical changes were few, the primary point of difference is that Brembo brakes from an Evolution 5-9 will bolt straight onto the facelift cars. The MMCS system was also updated to a widescreen 16:9 version over the 4:3 version on prefacelifts. Legnum VR-4s were the only ones to undergo structural sheetmetal changes, the tailgate was modified along with the rear bumper to modernise the appearance of the car. The body kit on facelifts was updated too with new front and rear bumpers, side skirts, grille and the bonnet bulge was made substantially larger.

Galants:

VR-4 Type-V

The Galant VR-4 Type-V was available with both automatic and manual gearbox options. The primary difference between a Type-V facelift and a prefacelift VR-4 was that AYC had been dropped for a standard open differential at the rear. The dashboard style had also been changed to a standard style of dash that was on normal non turbo 8th Gen Galants and Legnums, the other interior change was that the auto gear shift cover plate was black, the same as prefacelifts. The wheels were the standard 5 spoke carried over from prefacelifts. These were the lightest of all VR-4s, with the manual weighing in at 1460kg and the automatic at 1500kg. The rear wing remained the same from prefacelifts. The manual version was 2,643,000 Yen and the automatic was 2,767,000 Yen.

VR-4 Type-S

The Type-S was still available with AYC as standard equipment, however ASC and TCL were now options. Galant VR-4 Type-Ss were only available with automatic gearboxes. It is not possible to buy a facelift manual Galant with AYC. The Type-S model had the same front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper as the Type-V, the only external differences were the addition of wheel arch flares and slightly wider 16x6.5” 38mm offset Enkei wheels which wore 225/50/16 tyres. Internally they had the same High Vis dash as the prefacelifts but strangely the indicator lights for AYC operation were made slightly smaller. The auto gear shift cover plate was silver, like on Super VR-4s. The price was 2,981,000 Yen.

Legnums:

VR-4 Type-V

The Legnum VR-4 Type-V was only available in automatic form. Specification wise it was largely the same as the Galant Type-V with the same dashboard style, open rear diff without AYC, and the same wheels. Curiously, the Legnum Type-V was the only VR-4 to ever ship without a standard rear spoiler, externally looking similar to a non turbo Legnum. The price was 2,850,000 Yen.

VR-4 Type-S

Again, largely similar to the facelift Galant Type-S. From August 1998 it was also only available in automatic form, but in May 1999 a manual Type-S became available. Because there are no Type-V manual Legnum VR-4s, all manual facelift Legnums are Type-Ss. The Legnum Type-S has the same wheel arches and front as the Galant Type-S but has its own rear wing unique to facelift Legnums. The automatic was 3,099,000 Yen and when the manual was introduced in 1999 it was 2,975,000 Yen.

May 2000 to August 2002 (minor update):

This update was across the board for all VR-4s. The interior trim pattern changed to a softer grey fabric on the standard seats and the Recaro option, resembling Suede on the door cards and on the Recaro seats. The Momo steering wheel which had carried red sections on the side since its introduction became black all around. The Type-V Galants and Legnums now came with the High Vis dash and their wheels changed to the polished style of stock wheels that were on the COTY VR-4s. The tan leather option was still available and still came with the wood centre console and steering wheel, while the cars with standard seats or Recaros now came with a Grey centre console. The pricing changed slightly, the Type-Vs went up 30,000 Yen, while the Type-S models stayed at the same price.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Reserved
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Couple of small errors in the sticky, I think. There was an all red leather interior called a D spec or something?There was also the black perforated leather with red piping, although I think that this might not have been VR-4 spec.

Lastly, I thought that the Super red was known as "Palma Red"?

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I thought that too Ryan, although Redma was a Mitsubishi paint colour. All I did with Brad's original post though was tidy up a few bits of punctuation, add the power/torque conversion figures, and change the formatting/spacing a little, nothing else really at present.

The list is indeed in respect of the VR-4 options. The D spec red leather and the perforated black leather with the red piping (a Viento option, IIRC) were not available on VR-4s.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i think the type-v legnums at least, did not come with the arch flares.
    well the only type -V i have seem did not have arch flears.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I can't see where it says type Vs's have arch flares, Dave? I agree with you that they don't though!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

all facelift have arch fares as standard don't they.
    the Type V is would be the odd one out not having them so worth mentioning. if it is correct, and not just the case the only Type-V i have seen the owner took them off after the car was purchased with them on.

i see what you mean nick, i have reread the section and it does read correct not mentioning the arch flares until the type-s section.

was there not a black leather option as well as the tan?
    Last edited by Davezj; 15-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

All type S facelifts have them. Which is mentioned in the stuff above. Type V's don't as far as I know, but then it doesn't say they do in the stuff above. Are you saying you want a double negative in the type V listing?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    All type S facelifts have them. Which is mentioned in the stuff above. Type V's don't as far as I know, but then it doesn't say they do in the stuff above. Are you saying you want a double negative in the type V listing?
    yep seen that, i was edit my above post when you typed this

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    The D spec red leather and the perforated black leather with the red piping (a Viento option, IIRC) were not available on VR-4s.
    Are you sure about that? The red leather I mean, I'm pretty sure that I saw a white VR-4 with that interior which I guess could have been retro-fitted, should I be wrong. It's horrible anyway and I don't know who'd want it.

Name
    Steven
    Last Online
    01-02-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    99 Legnum VR-4

elnevio, are you sure all facelift type-v Legnums came without rear spoiler or do you mean some didn't? I have 1999 facelift type-v with recaros, moonroof and rear spoiler that I believe was on the car when it came from Japan.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Spoiler could have been retrofitted or even specced from the factory as an optional extra. Do you have the lo-vis dash and no AYC?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The spoiler could be added for the type V, I'm sure. I have seen a few with them on the Japanese auction sites. I've never seen a type V with recaros though!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    17-11-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ra99iart Legnum

Ok Gentleman,
    Help me out, As this is my first ever Jap car.
    What is my exact model/name?
    Cheers
    Mark

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by markysparky View Post
    Ok Gentleman,
    Help me out, As this is my first ever Jap car.
    What is my exact model/name?
    Cheers
    Mark
    Just seen this!

Yours is a facelift Legnum VR-4 Type-S!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    17-11-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ra99iart Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Just seen this!

Yours is a facelift Legnum VR-4 Type-S!
    Thanks Nev
    With additional cold pack

Name
    Niran
    Last Online
    30-05-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 VR4 Legnum

Hey guys!

I read the initial post and am slightly confused as to which model i own. Model no - GF-EC5W LNGF, Chassis No - EC5W-0300720 - 1999 VR4 Legnum Manual Type s (to my knowledge)
    Its got the yellow and black carbon fiber looking console trim. The red and black momo steering wheel, red and black recaro seats, red and black door trim. Its got AYC, and the High vis dash. It doesn't have any switches for traction control that im aware of. Has the extra trim on the body work, wider guards and extra bits on the front and rear bumpers.

I think its a type S? But i read somewhere that type S models don't come in manual? Any help will be appreciated

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Niran View Post
    Hey guys!

I read the initial post and am slightly confused as to which model i own. Model no - GF-EC5W LNGF, Chassis No - EC5W-0300720 - 1999 VR4 Legnum Manual Type s (to my knowledge)
    Its got the yellow and black carbon fiber looking console trim. The red and black momo steering wheel, red and black recaro seats, red and black door trim. Its got AYC, and the High vis dash. It doesn't have any switches for traction control that im aware of. Has the extra trim on the body work, wider guards and extra bits on the front and rear bumpers.

I think its a type S? But i read somewhere that type S models don't come in manual? Any help will be appreciated
    Yes, the facelift Legnum VR-4 Type-S became available in manual form from May 1999.

Name
    Niran
    Last Online
    30-05-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 VR4 Legnum

Awesome! Cheers Elnevio!

Name
    lee marvin
    Last Online