Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Thumbs down Brembo Brake Squeal

Right as most of you know I've just had my Brembo's fitted. I drove back from the garage and after only 3 miles I heard this horrendous squealing noise. By the time I travelled the other 3 miles home I was absolutely threaders with the noise. Then driving slowly from the front gate to the car park almost made me want to abandon the car and walk.

Now the sound is so bad that I simply don't want to drive the car. With the windows up it is extremely loud. With the windows down it is unbearably loud. The noise just goes straight through you its simply piercing!!

Here is a link to the video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4c0...ature=youtu.be

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds just like Brembo brake squeal to me!

There are a few fixes - different pads, different discs, different shims, shaving the leading/trailing edge of the pads and different slides are just the ones I have heard of. Fundamentally, you want the pad to stay in contact with the piston as the piston releases, so anything hindering instead of helping needs addressing.

In some cases the squeal is not sortable without changing pads / discs. The only setup I have been truly happy with is Performance Friction pads and discs, but they don't come cheap.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Have you bedded the brakes in like you are supposed to do.
    There is a bedding in proceedure on the brembo website which is quite harsh but does make them work much better.

Also have you used 2 sets of anti squeel shims (one full size, one half size) and make sure they are fitted the correct way round there is arrow on them showing the disk movement when the car is going forwards.
    Also make sure the pad slider plates were greased up before the pads were fitted. I presume you have the pad sliders fitted as they are a screw in and out item, the edge of the pad should slide against the as the pad is inserted into the calliper. Abso I don't think these should be painted either.

Brembo will squeel if you do not do the above.
    It is comon issue and people gone bake to standard brakes because they can not get rid of the squeel.

I did the above and do not have any squeel.
    Jut my personal experience.

Cheap disks and mintex 1230 pads
    Last edited by Davezj; 28-07-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

I have only driven 6 miles with them on so far. I have tried looking and searching on the Brembo website but cannot find the bedding in process they recommend. Can you explain for me or show me a link to the correct page on their site?

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

Have you fitted new discs and pads? what brands?
    Bear in mind that different disc & pad manufacturers have different bed in procedures - Check the website for yours

When I got new ones fitted I was advised to drive gently for 200 miles to bed in the discs, they were noisy as Feck, then I had to perform half a dozen hard braking "events" from 60-10mph in rapid succession, WITHOUT stopping, then cruise for a couple of miles to allow the discs & pads to cool, this virtually stopped the squeal to a minor squeek during own driving,

this and this are an interesting read

edit
    this was the email info I got from Mintex

Bedding Procedure for M1144 / M1155 / M1166

1) Clean discs with brake cleaner

2) Following initial brake test start with 3 – 4 light applications from 30mph down to 0mph.

After these, follow the steps below according to Material.

M1144: 6 / 7 medium pressure applications 70mph down to 30mph

M1155: 8 / 9 medium pressure applications 90mph down to 30mph

M1166: 9 / 10 medium applications 90mph down to 30mph

When carrying out the bedding process, do not allow the brakes to drag, do not left foot brake. To do so may result in damage to, or failure of the brake system.
    Last edited by horndog; 28-07-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: additional info

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Here is one of the brembo processes page 19 of catalogue
    http://www.brembo.com/en/car/Racing/...20CATALOGO.pdf

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

hehe , when i had my evo 6 i sounded like a bus was stopping , used to make everyone turn around , was not a high light of my journey by all means.
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

I found the main issue with Brembo squeel is:
    1. different shape of aftermarket brake pads, compared to OE iBrembo tems
    2. not followed the bed in procedure

Rikki, try the bed in procedure once or twice. I bet it will work then with almost no squeel.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Cheers for the comments guys

I have tried the bed in procedure twice now and the noise is still horrendous, absolutely no change whatsoever. I put my foot down when I pulled out of a junction earlier and all I could hear for 20 metres or so was the same squeal, surely that's not right?. I will have a look at them tomorrow and see if anything can be done

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

1998 2.0 GLS>1999 2.4 GDI>2001 2.5 sport>1997 VR4 + 2000 2.5 sport
    1997 legnum (manual)
    CUSCO rear strut brace
    BILSTEIN springs on uprated shocks
    3" S/S downpipes and exhaust
    induction kit
    EVO V RS transfer box
    EVO VIII brembos
    HEL brake lines
    V6 sport interior
    laser cut engine cover
    GRP EVO style bonnet
    18" inovite redlines
    HKS SSQV
    2003 Mazda 6 2.0 TS estate

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Right, so I removed the pads from the calipers and all slide plates are in place. Greased them up and placed them back in. Went for a drive and.......amazing no more squeal

But then...........1/2 a mile down the road........there we go its back just as before!! Anybody know where I can get some replacement anti squeal shims?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

How much grease did you put on the pad slide shims and what type of grease did you use.

What pads do you have in there as some pads have a direction arrow on them for fitment just like the anti squeel shims on the back of the pads.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Check if your pads:
    - have back rubber padding
    - hole alignment for caliper pins are right one (some pads have misalign holes).
    One of those reasons is typical for Brembo squeal pads.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Right received my new CRN front discs today and at 23:30hrs after a fish and chip supper I decided to swap the discs over. Yep nothing like doing late night mechanics

Anyway car all back together and went for a quick drive, only about 6 miles in total but no squeal yet I shall see what happens over the next week or so and report back.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

do CRN disks come with the yellow/rainbow effect thin platied coating on the disk that you are supposed to remove before using then, or travel grease to stop them rusting.
    There is a proceedure you are supposed to use for the rainbow plating removal as well. Otherwise you can put youself back in the same position you were in with the other disks. Did the disks come with an paperwork in the box to say what the bedding in process should be for them.

Plating removal and bedding in proceedure from brembo.

BeDDING ProCeDure
    It is very important to follow proper brake bedding procedure following installation. This is necessary not only for optimum performance of the system, but also to avoid onset of judder (vibration felt through brake and steering).
    The discs are delivered with a thin zinc coating to prevent corrosion. Prior to beginning the bedding procedure, this plating must be removed
    from the braking surfaces by driving the car slowly (under 30mph) and performing very light brake applications in order to remove the plating without generating heat.
    With too much heat or pedal pressure, this plating can be deposited unevenly on the disc, and impregnated into the pad, further increasing the likelihood of judder development. Once a visual inspection of the braking surfaces confirms tha the plating has been evenly removed, begin with the bedding procedure as specified below.
    • Drive vehicle to a remote area and perform at least
    30 brake applications of 3 second duration. Use light/ medium deceleration with varying starting speeds. Leave at least 1⁄2 mile between each brake application
    • The purpose of this procedure is to gradually increase
    the temperature in the components without thermal shock, and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces
    • After the repeated stops, drive the vehicle for several miles with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components
    • The system is now ready for normal use
    NOTE: This entire procedure must be complete before driving the vehicle as normal. It is especially important that this process is completed before any extended same-speed driving is done (i.e. freeway travel). Failure to follow these instructions greatly increases the likelihood of judder development.
    NOTE: After installation or bleeding of the brake system, flush any brake fluid from around the bleed screws, etc, using soapy water. Over time, brake fluid trapped in these areas may cause paint damage. Additionally, do not use acidic wheel cleaners when washing your vehicle, as they can cause damage to the caliper finish and aluminum disc mounting bells, as well as to the wheels themselves. Use only soap and water when cleaning wheels or braking components.
    Last edited by Davezj; 08-09-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Name
    Gavin
    Last Online
    16-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Manual

I cured my sqeal with CRN discs and pagid pads. Completely happy , no squeal since putting them on 12 months ago. The service from CRN was fantastic.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

As far as I remember the zinc coating is an extra with CRN ie if you ask for it you get it put on but if you dont then they dont bother. I remember this from Nevs group buy last year i believe. Didnt look to be any coating on these but when I went for a drive last nite after fitting them I did the slow speed light pressure braking just in case the coating was on there and not visible. The only thing was there was no paperwork in the box with these to outline the reccommended bedding in procedure. I will try to give CRN a bell and see what they reccommend for bedding in. Failing that I will do the Brembo procedure. I had CRN grooved discs on the car before I had Brembos and they were fine with the above procedure with no noise whatsoever. Next step is to maybe replace the mintex pads with red stuffs as I know for a fact they are fine together as I had that setup with my stock pfl calipers.

Just a case of chop and change and find out what works best for me I spose lol.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

You would have seen the plating if it had been present, it is a completely different colour to the normal silver of the bear steel.
    The disks would not have been covered in transit/packaging grease either.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Yeah I did think this was the case as Ive seen the coating before on other discs and remember it standing out. But thought some light braking for 6 miles cant hurt anyway lol

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Erni902 View Post
    Yeah I did think this was the case as Ive seen the coating before on other discs and remember it standing out. But thought some light braking for 6 miles cant hurt anyway lol
    Really do hope his is a perminent fix for you, as the squeal can be a nightmare, and people have swapped back to standard brakes due to not being able to stop the squealing. Which would be a shame considering the benefit the bigger brakes make to the repeated stopping power with no fade.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast