Thread: Where to buy head gasket set (all gaskets for top of engine)

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Where to buy head gasket set (all gaskets for top of engine)

Well I can get a set from camskill, but can you get a set for less the £300?

Bye for Now!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Did you actually ring camskill and ask them if got this set in stock? When I was changed my HG they say that is not more available (still in online shop), I got my HG and turbo gaskets off the shelf from mitsi Warrington, if you not in great rush, try order via http://www.amayama.com they are WAY cheaper (sure you need to pay postage and customs) then main dealer, but be prepare for loooong wait. If you decide to order parts via amayama pls let me know I may share with you some postage cost.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

I was quoted less than $600NZD for a full engine overhaul gasket kit which includes valve stem seals from Ralliart NZ Part number: MD975559

I got prices for other sets but the price difference made the whole set the only economical way to go. (something like $20 less for just the upper set, $300 for just the valve stem seals etc)

Name
    shane
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    fto with 6A13TT

Mitsubishi part no MD342320 (need 2) I got mine awhile back now $200aus is what i paid for both. Hope this helps you dave

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Cheers Guys much appreciated,

i am after the top half of the engine set, so it would be all gaskets from the head gasket up MD975558 (the MD975559 is full engine as has been said above.)
    i will take a look at the links, thanks again and i will check both part numbers.

i will try mitsi warrington to see if they can do a better price than £300 from camskill.

Mitsi Warrington
    MD975558 (top engine head gaskets up) £250 +vat = £300
    MD975559 (full engine gasket set) £260 + vat = 312
    plus £5 delivery 10-14 working days which will be about 20 day total.

http://www.amayama.com
    MD975558 (top engine head gaskets up) £227 +duty +vat = £300
    MD975559 (full engine gasket set) £235 +duty + vat = 310
    plus £??? delivery 20 days

mitsu warrington are not looking so bad.
    i would be silly as kenneth has said not to get the full engine gasket set considering the price difference.
    I think the MD975559 (full engine set) will only have the 2 crack seals and possibly the oil sump seal on top of the MD975558 set but it is still worth it, if i am going to buy the full set. camskill do the head gaskets at £86 for the pair on there own.
    Last edited by Davezj; 19-10-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

well i just ordered a a full engine gasket set MD975559 and i am now £312 lighter
    it will take a while to turn up but should be here befor the end of november.
    then the fun begins.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Are you going to re gasket your engine or you will try to get 'new' one?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i am going to replace the heads on my engine with the ones i have in the shed.
    as long i have not damaged the sureface of the head while they have been in storage for the last 5 years. i will get them skimmed but i am in two minds whether i just fit them as is or get new cams and springs and head studs.
    to do a proper job on it.
    i am very confident these are heads are in good order when i put them in the shed, they came off a peach of a 2003 engine that i stripped myself. So unless seals have failed in stroage then all should be good.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

regarding heads,IMO, if thinks are not broken, do not try to fix it.

To send cams to NZ and get them regrind is a long wait job, so if you prepare for waiting, go for it, next thing to consider is cost, I think is close to 500£ all in???

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i think that is the killer punch the total cost of getting the cam regrind. my car was running quite well before i had the combustion gases in the cooling system. but my current heads i will have to replace the lash adusters replace cam shaft oil seals (at leas 2 of them). then there is the potential of it not being the head gasket and it is one or both of the heads cracked.

so i think the sensible way forward is to use the spare heads, check for valve leaks, get them skimmed (same place you got your done hopfully), then if all is good fit them. i know before the doner engine was stripped the lash adjuster were quiet.
    i will have to swap the turbos at the same time, and while i am at it the torque converter seal needs doing as well so i think it will be an engine out job.
    as long as the gear box comes off the engine first (torque converter can stay on the engine) then the engine should come out the top of the engine bay with the crane, and then it can sit on one of the trollies, this should make the head and turbo swap easier.
    the only bad bit of doing it this way is holding the engine still while i swing on the spanners to get everything apart.
    maybe an engine stand will be usfull for this, i feel an ebay trawl coming on.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by adaxo View Post
    regarding heads,IMO, if thinks are not broken, do not try to fix it.

To send cams to NZ and get them regrind is a long wait job, so if you prepare for waiting, go for it, next thing to consider is cost, I think is close to 500£ all in???
    If he want cams and springs I can do it on exchange (ie send him cams and once hes put them in he sends back stock ones) which will half the time hes waiting on them in the post. but its still a week or two wait for them to arrive in the UK. also if you are changing the valve stem seals changing the springs seems the logical thing to do but its all dependant on how much money he wants to spend.
    cost of cams is 600NZD for the regrind and ~300 for the valve springs so 900NZD all up

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    If he want cams and springs I can do it on exchange (ie send him cams and once hes put them in he sends back stock ones) which will half the time hes waiting on them in the post. but its still a week or two wait for them to arrive in the UK. also if you are changing the valve stem seals changing the springs seems the logical thing to do but its all dependant on how much money he wants to spend.
    cost of cams is 600NZD for the regrind and ~300 for the valve springs so 900NZD all up
    I wasn't far off (900.00 NZD=465.369 GBP today's ratio), I assume that price is plus delivery and possible duty/vat/standing charge??, what about that 'fancy' cam gears pulleys?? is that necessary addition to regrind shafts?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by adaxo View Post
    I wasn't far off (900.00 NZD=465.369 GBP today's ratio), I assume that price is plus delivery and possible duty/vat/standing charge??, what about that 'fancy' cam gears pulleys?? is that necessary addition to regrind shafts?
    Yeah plus delivery (cost to send tomasz (swinks) cams to poland was 160nzd) and can get around VAT/Import tax if your game enough to send the goods undervalued.
    Gets expensive when you add it all up. but if hes wanting to go down this route at some stage, upgrading the valvesprings would be a good idea considering the stock ones have to come out anyway to change the valve stem seals. then he can just drop a set of cams in at a later date. (especially as installing valve spings while the engine is in the car is a prick of a job)

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

and no the cam regrind works fine with the stock cam gears. only tomasz has used the works engineering cam gears with my cam regrind, myself and carl running the cam regrind here in nz both use stock gears

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

it is an interesting thought to change the valve springs now and get the cam regrind later, but i don't really have the spare cash at the moment.

Name
    Ros
    Last Online
    23-11-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    LHD VR4

Sorry for digging this thread from the death.
    Well the question is Does the standard OEM head gasket fit on a rebored 81,5 mm. cylinder?
    In other words what is the best gasket option for a new engine build with larger TD04's, running some 400 bwhp. Didn't find any Cometic or other after market gasket suitable for rebored 6a13 TT.
    Thanks

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

The stock gaskets are multi layer steel shim (MLS), so provided you have appropriately strong head studs (ARP, A1 Technologies etc) and the block and heads have been machined to the correct finish for a MLS gasket the OEM gaskets will be good for more than 400whp
    Also they should be safe for the 0.5mm oversize but I have a couple of pairs of brand new OEM MLS gaskets at work so I can measure the bores in them for you just to be sure.

Name
    Ros
    Last Online
    23-11-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    LHD VR4

Just fantastic! Thanks a lot.
    I definitely need stronger head bolts; it's on the list already. Decided to give TD04L-19T Kinugawas a try.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

As per my PM to you, the bore diameter of the stock gaskets is 82mm, posted here in case anyone else needs that info

Name
    Ros
    Last Online
    23-11-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    LHD VR4

So the conclusion is if need head gasket, take 1mm. Oversize. Still thinking on OEM gasket 82mm.kit.
    Thank you Adam!