Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed - Easter Weekend Run From Wellington with Overnight Stay in Whangamomona

Name
    Wynn
    Last Online
    31-03-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR-4 (x2)

Confirmed - Easter Weekend Run From Wellington with Overnight Stay in Whangamomona

At the last Wellington Mini Meet a suggestion was made that we should have another Club run together to 'somewhere', much like we have done a couple of times in the past...............

But where to go?................... well 'Whangamomona' is somewhere and it's also in the middle of nowhere.

Whangamomona is located, for those that have no idea, approximately between Wanganui and New Plymouth, up the 'Forgotten World Highway', otherwise known as State Highway 43. Google 'Streetview' seems to indicate most, if not all of SH43 is now sealed so people needn't worry on that account.

At this stage we are looking for EOI from people interested in going for a little sojourn into the 'back of beyond' for a drive like no other................

The suggested preliminary itinerary is to leave Wellington Saturday morning 30th March (Easter Saturday), drive up to Wanganui for lunch and top up fuel, then on to overnight at the Whangamomona Hotel. And next day to head north to Ohura and loop back to Taumarunui, and maybe back down SH4 to Wanganui and on home. This return route is still to be finalised, and may change

The drive will be a 'cruise', not a race with partners welcome and encouraged to attend.

The cost of the Hotel room is $65 per person, twin share. Now this place is popular with car clubs and bike clubs on club trips through this area, so we need to move quickly if we are to be able to get rooms there. As of today (Wednesday 13/02/2013), there are 6 rooms still available for Saturday 30th March. We will need to book rooms by early next week at the latest I suggest and to do that a $35.00 per person deposit will need to accompany each booking made.

More detailed information about route and distances etc will follow soon...............

So who's up for a 'good drive' then.......... ??????

Last edited by CANDEE; 19-02-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Name
    Pierre
    Last Online
    27-02-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR-4 Legnum

Count me in on this thanks Wynn.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

I'll have to ask my wife, am keen though

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

As you know Ness and I are in. I know that there are a few jobs that need to be done on cars beforehand including making one legal again...

Ken, will be good to see you there and make sure if you come that you bring Jo with you.

Name
    Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

I is keen too...just need to work some stuffs out first (wife/kids & money) before I can commit
    Should get that all worked out tonight and post up later.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

Count me in :-)

Name
    Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

Im in!

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

Awesome re Ray & Ben.

Ray, are you bringing the other half?

Name
    Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

Quote Originally Posted by CANDEE View Post
    Awesome re Ray & Ben.

Ray, are you bringing the other half?
    It depends if my parents can look after the kids, too young to enjoy the trip yet.

Name
    Wynn
    Last Online
    31-03-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR-4 (x2)

Right everyone. Thanks for the interest in the event from those who have indicated they would enjoy a drive to places off the main roads. Especially to those from up north who I didn't expect to be interested or want to join us.

Here are a couple of maps showing the route up from Wellington and a proposed return route which may change based on what people want to do on the day.

The route up is 372km and about 4hr 54m driving without stops. See map below:

CVR4 2013 Wellington Run_1.jpg

Return route is slightly longer at 439km and about 5hr 25m or so driving, again minus stops back to Welington. See below:

CVR4 2013 Wellington Run_2.jpg

So here's where we are at.

Last Wednesday there were still 12 places available for the Saturday night 30th March and we have had interest from what might be 9 people if partners do come along.

I have just spoken with Penny at the Hotel, booked my own accommodation and there are only a further 7 places available now, so get in quickly. Having said that she is expecting you guys to be in touch soonish so we are expected but until the deposits are paid the rooms could go to anyone else. The next 7 club people to ring and book get the rooms. Just say you are part the 'Club VR4' group. The Hotel number is: 06 762 5823 and ask for Penny.

Below is a link to the terms and conditions for bookings at the Whangamomona Hotel, just so people are clear about what is required. Everyone should book there own accommodation and pay the $35.00 per person deposit to secure their room.
    Here is a link to the Hotels booking terms and conditions. People, please read them, though there's nothing sinister ................

So get moving people so you don't miss out........................

Would people please post in here when they have booked so we all can see who is and isn't going.

Last edited by VR4 MAD; 17-02-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

Ive booked for Ness and I.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

I'm booked

Maybe or maybe not be in a vr4 as mine might be sold.
    Last edited by Bender; 17-02-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Name
    Wynn
    Last Online
    31-03-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR-4 (x2)

BUMP....................

Come on people................ chop chop. Time is a wasting. Get those bookings underway people.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Booked for two.

So who is hosting us northerners in Wellington on the Friday night?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Oh, also something worth telling you is that Penny was thoroughly chuffed that so far we have all introduced ourselves with just first names in a really relaxed manner

So first impressions are

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by VR4 MAD View Post
    Whangamomona is located, for those that have no idea, approximately between Wanganui and New Plymouth, up the 'Forgotten World Highway', otherwise known as State Highway 43. Google 'Streetview' seems to indicate most, if not all of SH43 is now sealed so people needn't worry on that account.
    Is there any way to tell how old the street view images are? I just spoke to Jo and she went that way in the latter half of last year and says the road was pretty bad then. She was in a rental and the thought of going over that in my car doesn't appeal to her one bit

I need an alignment anyway, so the thought that comes to mind is whether I would need to go back to standard suspension.

Name
    Wynn
    Last Online
    31-03-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR-4 (x2)

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for that info Kenneth.

The StreetView images are dated February 2010.

Now I've not driven this road for some 25 odd years, and believe me, way back then it was, in parts, literally a goat track with grass growing in the middle strip of the road. Definately not for the faint hearted or those with a lowered car. But I'm only suggesting this road for our trip, because Google StreetView appears to show that most (if not all) is now sealed. Yes it will be a narrow, twisty Class II road and the tunnels are still unlined I believe (yes unlined tunnels) but these should not be too much of an issue.

Kenneth, could you get Jo to be more detailed about which bits she thought might be a problem. The run up to Whangamomona from the south isn't, from memory, anywhere near as bad as the section North from there to Ohura and beyond.

I'm going to revisit StreetView again and check a little more closely and post up some screen shoots of what it shows to help allay any concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Is there any way to tell how old the street view images are? I just spoke to Jo and she went that way in the latter half of last year and says the road was pretty bad then. She was in a rental and the thought of going over that in my car doesn't appeal to her one bit

I need an alignment anyway, so the thought that comes to mind is whether I would need to go back to standard suspension.
    Last edited by VR4 MAD; 18-02-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

Haha look like i will have fun drive to whangamomona. I will meet everyone at the hotel and will be coming sh43.

Name
    Wynn
    Last Online
    31-03-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR-4 (x2)

I wouldn't be too worried. I've just had a closer look at the roads in Googe StreetView again and there appears to be one 15km stretch of grave through the Tangarakau Scenic Reserve which is North of Whangamomona and will be on your route down to meet us and on our route out on the Sunday. It looks a little narrow but is smooth gravel through a gorge. See the pictures below.

SH43_9a.jpg SH43_10.jpg

And the Whangamomona main street:

SH43_6.jpg

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Haha look like i will have fun drive to whangamomona. I will meet everyone at the hotel and will be coming sh43.
    Last edited by CANDEE; 18-02-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

Awwww carp you know what my car and gravel mean..... lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast