Name
    Minnaz
    Last Online
    10-07-2013
    Country
    Australia

Go Quick Bits :D

G'Day guys n girls
    So I pick up my legnum next week (am I excited or what!) I've already got it booked in to get some new shoes and a computer remap and iv been looking for some go quick bits....

So far ive sourced some big 13inch brakes off of a evo 7 I believe, will these direct bolt on or do I need a converter? also some height and damper adjustable shocks that's for my handling and braking. I've found 3" into 2 1/2" headers and a high flow cat just need to find someone to do the stainless exhaust piping that's for my sound n a lil performance. I've found bigger leads and bigger fuel pump and I've a computerized boost controller lying around somewhere at home now im just looking for somewhere to get some forged pistons n lifters n thats going to be my start.

I'd like to get some feedback on what u guys think and the kind of power that this will pull also what else should I look into doing?

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

If your VR4 is a FL (face lift) the brakes will bolt straight on. If its a PFL ( pre face lift) Then you will need the hub carriers & ABS sensors of a FL to fit them. Also make sure the new boots will fit over them. If the wheels fit a EVO 6 on wards you will be fine.

Regarding what extra power you will make it depends on the car. Best to get a dyno run when its standard to get a base line then another dyno run once you have fitted the performance parts.

You'll be surprised what an extra bit of boost will do to your car though
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds like a good start!
    I'd suggest an intercooler upgrade, as our little turbos work hard and get hot.
    Also, as our turbos are small, they will limit your power. I'd also suggest that forged internals is an unnecessary expense unless you are looking at bigger turbos too.

Name
    Minnaz
    Last Online
    10-07-2013
    Country
    Australia

Cheers guys

Its is a FL 2000 model so that's good and yeah I'm looking at some nice 17s with low pros so should be all good there. Cheers nick yeah I will look at bigger turbos on her eventually but would like to do some internals and get a feel for her before I even think about it. I've seen some front mount intercooler upgrades for a fue hundred on ebay ill look into that as well. Just curious what psi can the stock turbos handle?

[Edit] and of course I'm not made of money.. so what iv looked at so far comes in at a little under 3k so I thought that'd be a good start until I can talk the Mrs into letting me spend more money on her lol
    Last edited by Minnaz; 13-04-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

I wouldn't waste your money on forged internals, these engines as they are can withstand far more than you can throw at them, even if you up the boost to the max.
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    Minnaz
    Last Online
    10-07-2013
    Country
    Australia

So u think even if I were to eventually throw some adjustable cams and bigger turbos in it then it could still cope? I tried that with a S14 once and the outcome was not so good....

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

People have run substantial power increases on standard internals. Having said that, if you plan to increase the size of the turbos then forged is not a bad thing.
    Stock tubs will run 1.4 bar in the mid range, but will drop to under 1 bar by the red line. However, the problem is that as the pressure rises the turbos go so far out of their efficient range that temperature rises too. The higher charge temperature cancels out most of the pressure increase.

Name
    Minnaz
    Last Online
    10-07-2013
    Country
    Australia

Yeah ok cool well I may start with the other stuff then when I talk the boss into letting me spend more money on it ill get some forged internals and some bigger turbs. What is 1 bar? Sorry I know psi, most stock boost are usually set at ether 4 or 6 psi. Also im getting a computer remaped should I just let them do what they do or does anyone have some guidelines on how I should get them to map it?
    Last edited by Minnaz; 14-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

1 bar = 14.7psi, i guess that with remap, fuel cut limit is going up, as that can become an issue over 12psi ish, depending on outside temp i believe, also, this is in the wrong place in the forum lol

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN-NZ View Post
    also, this is in the wrong place in the forum lol
    Looks all right to me!

Meanwhile, stock boost will be around 8psi.

As for the internals, Gowf ran his VR-4 with substantial mods at around 400-450 bhp for a long period of time, and standard internals.

SAF68 has recently posted up power runs following his extensive modifications, with a result of around 440 bhp (IIRC), at the wheels! Again, still on standard internals.

zentac's VR-4 engine that was in his FTO poked out in excess of 600 bhp, although he did uprate the internals.

Unfortunately, a lot of this kind of work on the 6A13TT is very very expensive, due to the bespoke nature of the work, and the general lack of off-the-shelf parts for big power upgrades.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Minnaz
    Last Online
    10-07-2013
    Country
    Australia

I believe I started the thread in performance parts didn't I lol

So then I take it that these engines are built to last then. I did notice that there's not alot of after market resources for the 6A13TT unlike the stagea but for me its always mitsi over Nissan .

That being said I've found a fue of nice mods for it spark fuel handling and exhaust. Eventually ill look at getting some bigger turbs and some adjustable cams n blah blah blah... but buying the car and the parts I've ordered now pushes me up around the 15K AUD mark so I might sit on that for awhile n see how I go.

There's a street class drag/dyno day coming up next month so I'm thinking of going there just with the remap n see what kind of times she pulls then ill install all my go quick bits n see the difference in the July drags. At least then I can see what kind of gain iv gotten from the parts then maybe I can start helping people on ere n not be the noob any more lol...

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

An increase in boost on its own to about 1 bar/15 psi without doing anything else makes a massive noticeable difference. While the increase in power is probably only around 10%, the torque difference is more like 40% and hugely improves the area under the curve, as it were.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

The biggest "problem" is that the 6A13TT engine was only ever in the Galant/Legnum VR-4, and they were never sold in any of the big tuning markets such as America, and even where they were sold, they didn't sell in big numbers.

This is why there are very few off-the-shelf parts for the engine compared to other vehicles - which pushes the prices higher for chasing big power on these engines compared to others.

However - don't let us stop you!

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Looks all right to me!
    Haha, i see what you did there

Name
    Minnaz
    Last Online
    10-07-2013
    Country
    Australia

Hahah I don't think that u could discourage me at this point I've said my vows for better or for worse lmao from what I've read/seen it should be all good if I look after her and if worse comes to worse my mate is a mechanical engineer so I'll make him fix it for me (I'll just make him an offer he can't refuse) I dug through my shed last night n found a boost controller and a spare BOV I had lying around hopefully it fits.. I've ordered all the other parts I found (headers, high flow cat, coil pack, fuel pump, 7 mm leads, height n damper ajust tiens, and all round 13" brakes) n I ordered a cpl cosmetic things too lazy eye kit for headlights shoes and carbon look replacement for the ugly wood grain all came in at 4300 sound like a good start?

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Certainly sounds like a busy start! Have fun!

Name
    Minnaz
    Last Online
    10-07-2013
    Country
    Australia

Lol yeah I tend to always throw myself in the deep end.... but I wouldn't have it any other way get it all done at once then iv only gotta pull her apart once (hopefully)...

Also I was just on eBay and seen a nice front mount intercooler and fuel pressure regulator so I brought them impulsive buyer but that brings the total spent to 5k I'm happy with what I've spent for what I'm getting...

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

7mm leads??? Get some quality Magnecor leads. Its not the Diameter that makes a difference to the lead its how its constructed and out of what :-)
    1997 Legnum VR4 Manual
    BBS 16" Alloys
    LPG Converted
    8mm Magnecor Plug Leads
    Innovate AFR Meter with narrow band emulation to ECU
    DE-CAT

1994 3.9V8 Discovery.
    4" Lift with 33" tyres (12.5" wide), 30mm wheel spacers.
    LPG converted
    Koni shocks
    Mallory Ignition
    Magnecor leads
    3" Strainless straight through exhaust
    diff and steering guards
    Mud

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

You know all this is just mere words typed on a keyboard, we need pics or we will just have to assume the car doesn't exist! Lol, thems the rules!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    05-12-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    MP4 Merc

Quote Originally Posted by gazmk2 View Post
    we need pics or we will just have to assume the car doesn't exist! Lol, thems the rules!