Thread: The state of Auckland at the moment...

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

The state of Auckland at the moment...

I am speaking as a 3rd generation Aucklander who is ashamed and pissed off about the city at the moment and just want to have a rant!

I love living in Auckland. The only time in the past I have considered moving was when I got offered a job in Melbourne. Now however, I find myself looking at houses elsewhere - sell up and getting out of here.

Why don't we make Auckland a "super city" they said, that will make it better, they said..... Yeah good one. All I have seen since this happened is a massively increased rates bill!

This whole crap about rezoning suburbs so high rise apartments can be built is an absolute ****ing joke. Our mayor is a moron. Way to devalue hard working people's properties *****r. Areas that they want to do this has old character villas which will be knocked down by developers if this goes ahead.

Also, raising fuel tax and tolling roads just for auckland because of congestion - what a stupid idea! We don't have the public transport system (well a reliable one at least) as an alternative, so we will still just have to sit on the same ****ed roads, and be poorer for it! If Len Brown just gave up on his stupid inner city rail loop which will NEVER happen, and concentrated on making the public transport system we have reliable, maybe people would use it!!

Now, I have an easy way to elevate the predicted growth in the city. It may seem racist (which I am not), but hey.
    When people immigrate to NZ now on, don't allow them to settle in Auckland! Go to Hamilton, Wellington, Dunedin, Palmerston North. That will help elevate the strain on Auckland, and help share the load.

But I think the saddest thing was when Jess went into town last Saturday night with a friend for the first time in a while. When she came home she said she wouldn't be doing that again as she didn't feel safe. She felt safer walking around New York and LA at night by her self then she did in Auckland City. I'm talking fights in the middle of intersections on Queen St and arseholes grabbing her arse as she walked down the street. She said the cops were doing there best with the fights, but since our government likes to cut police funding, there is only so much a couple of cops can do!

Well, there is my rant. Time to go earn some money so I can afford to use the motorway!!
    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Reece
    Last Online
    14-04-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Manual Super

New Zealand is a joke. Our government is run by a bunch of ****wits that don't give two ****s about the people, they only care about the money that suck out of us. Hence why rates keep going up, its not just the Auckland council doing it, its our government pushing the councils to raise everything.

Oh and I love the fact that they are going to pretty much add in a toll to use the motorways... Not. They think that by doing this it will reduce traffic. Yes that is true, it will reduce traffic on the motorways but then everyone will be using the roads that were used before the motorway was built. Making traffic jams and more accidents happen on the older roads. Awesome. They shouldn't have to do that it everyone knew how to drive, the main cause of all these stupid traffic jams is dumbasses not knowing how to frigging merge.

I've never gone to town just because of what happens there, its a waste of time. You look at someone and they think you want a fight. Bunch of ****ing monkeys.

Lol
    Manual Super #143/283

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

I have to say, I have not for an instant regretted moving to Cambridge. Rural life beats city life all day, every day in my opinion.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

David, Reece, come here to Watford, you will feel at home !
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    05-12-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    MP4 Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I have to say, I have not for an instant regretted moving to Cambridge. Rural life beats city life all day, every day in my opinion.
    lerl, you enjoy living with old people?

i lived in cambridge for 2 months.. enjoyed it for a lil bit.. until i couldn't find a job! whatsoever!

so i moved down south to canterbury.. got a job within a day. love it down here..

what was this thread about again?? oh yeah jafas

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
    lerl, you enjoy living with old people?
    Haha, I live well outside the town so no worries running over old people. Only thing I seem to run over is rabbits. My best is 2 between my house and state highway 1B Was nearly 3, but it swerved the other way after trying to out-run me down the other lane.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Having emigrated from another "super city" 9 years ago (Johannesburg), I can empathise with Dave to a degree. Prior to all surrounding municipalities being amalgamated under the JHB metropolis, my municipality had a fully equipped fire station with the latest appliances, rescue helicopter etc.

Most of the appliances and the helicopter were "reallocated" and a lot of the skilled staff who were fed up with the situation in SA prior to this, simply thought it the last straw and packed their bags for overseas or relocated within the country.

I have to disagree on the tolls. Roads are expensive and New Zealand simply cannot afford to build the roads it requires based on the income tax derived from its citizens. I'll use South Africa as an example, that country has a highly developed highway network, top quality surfaces conducive to high speed driving, good drainage and well designed interchanges, 8 and 10 lane highways (to/fro) and how is it built?

Tolling.

I can drive from Pretoria central all the way to Durban, a journey of nearly 700km and not leave the highway. Along the way there are at least 9 tollgates, some comparatively inexpensive, others not so... more expensive if you're driving a double-articulated truck but hey... It's there, it's good and the tolls pay for the continued maintenance and expansion of the network.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Badger_01 View Post

New Zealand is a joke. Our government is run by a bunch of ****wits that don't give two ****s about the people, they only care about the money that suck out of us.
    Yup, thus defines a government

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    05-12-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    MP4 Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Haha, I live well outside the town so no worries running over old people. Only thing I seem to run over is rabbits. My best is 2 between my house and state highway 1B Was nearly 3, but it swerved the other way after trying to out-run me down the other lane.
    suicidal rabbits

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Pretty much. If they didn't run under the car, I wouldn't have hit any so far.

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

suicidal is right, had one sitting on the side of the road, just as im about to pass it, the stupid thing runs under the car with its head up, safe to say i dont think it got up lol

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

Quote Originally Posted by Badger_01 View Post
    Oh and I love the fact that they are going to pretty much add in a toll to use the motorways... Not. They think that by doing this it will reduce traffic. Yes that is true, it will reduce traffic on the motorways but then everyone will be using the roads that were used before the motorway was built. Making traffic jams and more accidents happen on the older roads. Awesome. They shouldn't have to do that it everyone knew how to drive, the main cause of all these stupid traffic jams is dumbasses not knowing how to frigging merge.
    they keep coming up with the same idea here. toll the motorways and they cant see that they will put all the traffic on the side roads creating a 2 tier system of people who can and will pay to use the motorways, and those who cant afford to or refuse to pay more to drive a car. motorways = safest roads. force more traffic onto less safe roads, that makes loads of sense!
    1998 2.0 GLS>1999 2.4 GDI>2001 2.5 sport>1997 VR4 + 2000 2.5 sport
    1997 legnum (manual)
    CUSCO rear strut brace
    BILSTEIN springs on uprated shocks
    3" S/S downpipes and exhaust
    induction kit
    EVO V RS transfer box
    EVO VIII brembos
    HEL brake lines
    V6 sport interior
    laser cut engine cover
    GRP EVO style bonnet
    18" inovite redlines
    HKS SSQV
    2003 Mazda 6 2.0 TS estate

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Haha, the side roads are just as bad already!

Name
    Shane
    Last Online
    11-02-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 Galant VR4

How many of you voted National in the first place?

You want to drive on ****ty roads come to Chch!

"The
    KOKENATOR Sent back in time to destroy all inferior tools!"

Name
    Dennis
    Last Online
    08-04-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum 25ST

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Having emigrated from another "super city" 9 years ago (Johannesburg), I can empathise with Dave to a degree. Prior to all surrounding municipalities being amalgamated under the JHB metropolis, my municipality had a fully equipped fire station with the latest appliances, rescue helicopter etc.

Most of the appliances and the helicopter were "reallocated" and a lot of the skilled staff who were fed up with the situation in SA prior to this, simply thought it the last straw and packed their bags for overseas or relocated within the country.

I have to disagree on the tolls. Roads are expensive and New Zealand simply cannot afford to build the roads it requires based on the income tax derived from its citizens. I'll use South Africa as an example, that country has a highly developed highway network, top quality surfaces conducive to high speed driving, good drainage and well designed interchanges, 8 and 10 lane highways (to/fro) and how is it built?

Tolling.

I can drive from Pretoria central all the way to Durban, a journey of nearly 700km and not leave the highway. Along the way there are at least 9 tollgates, some comparatively inexpensive, others not so... more expensive if you're driving a double-articulated truck but hey... It's there, it's good and the tolls pay for the continued maintenance and expansion of the network.

I hear what your saying. I live in a smaller city, still large for the area, and we are connected to the lower mainland via a mountain pass. Up until 4 years ago, you were required to pay 5 bucks to go over this pass. Not a lot, right? Well our government opted to remove the tolling station in order to grab votes. So now people like me, who use the pass once in a few years have to help pay for the massive upkeep costs(snow removal, avalanche control, etc.) on a regular basis, while the out of province commercial trucks get away scott free. Boggles the mind....