Last Online
    29-01-2005
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    hilux

purchasing a vr4 Legnum wagon

Hey all,

I am a new member of this forum from NEW Zealand, and I joined for the reason that I am looking at purchasing a vr4 station wagon for a family car, and want to know more about reliability/potential problems etc etc.
    The car that I looked at today was a 1999 2.5 twin turbo station wagon with troptronic. It has 81,ooo km and is in nice tidy condition with a leather interior.
    The concerns that I have are.....that I have had preformance cars in the past.....I have had RS subaru legacys, and they all cost a lot of money in repairs and were never very reliable.......they did gearboxes and clutches all the time.......and I even replaced engines on some of them.
    I wondered how this particular car was for realiabilty etc etc. IS there anything that I need to be aware of when looking at it? How many trouble free kilometres of motoring can I expect? etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Cheers Duane

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to the club and good luck. If you click on the Resources tab at the top of the page, you will find plenty of useful info. On the whole the cars are reliable, but repairs if things do go wrong are not cheap!

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

The VR-4 can be reliable like most cars, if they are serviced at correct intervals and by people who know what they are doing.

e.g. The VR-4 needs oil changed every 5,000km, A,B,C or D service every 6 months or less depending on the km's you do. Be sure you get a 3 year+ warranty with your purchase to minimise any immediate problems.

With regular servicing you should be OK. Note: fuel consumption can be higher than expected, but it does have close to 300hp, so it is to be expected.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

if you look at the 99 with 81,000 km make sure the cam belt has been done, it is overdue. The car will be as reliable as you treat it, I thrashed thru the gears in mine and broke a shifter, hense I learnt not to thrash thru the gears.....

Servicing is quite expensive and fuel consumption is quite high, but like KIWITT said you are talking about near 300hp and 1700kg.