keith ian wood
    Last Online
    28-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    2.0 Galant Spor

Coolant leak ?

Hello everybody not been on here for a while as nothing as been wrong with the car and as I need the old girl for my photography run abouts its a case of its not broke, dont mess with it. she as just got though the MOT but needed a bit of work doing this time but the old girl still hangs on in there. I am really busy with college so dont have time to spit. I hope everyone old and new in the club is well and the meeting are as good as they used to be and you are all having a good summer. Now to business.

Not sure what the hell I have here. Just come back from a run to Manchester and everything was fine till I got to a set of light 1 mile from home and saw steam coming from the bonnet. The temperture gauge was fine. got home and there was no dripping or leaking, thought I had boiled it dry, but temperture gauge was still nornal. I have left it for a few hours to cool off and when I checked the rad it was needing about just short of a litre to top it up and I have refilled the plastic overflow tank. I have run it again and built pressure up, the fans kicked in to cool it down and no leak. I am just off to check if it is leaking now and ill report back. Cheers

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

is there a crack in the radiator on the top at the front, to the left of the rad cap?

I thought so!

worth a guess it is the most common place for the rad to crack.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    11-04-2019
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, GTIR, Mini

If no cracks or burst hoses are evident, I'd change the radiator cap first. Chances are is letting fluid through & pumping out of the expansion bottle....

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mike74 View Post
    If no cracks or burst hoses are evident, I'd change the radiator cap first. Chances are is letting fluid through & pumping out of the expansion bottle....

Cheapest place for a decent cap is surprisingly Halfords. I have got one off the shelf for a fiver before.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    keith ian wood
    Last Online
    28-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    2.0 Galant Spor

Cheers guys for getting back to me on this. Ive just been running it local over the last few days. Each time I bring the car back to the front door I have let it cool down. The expansion bottle emties each time and I have had to put the same amount of water into the radiator to top it up which as been 450 ml and than the other 550 in the expantion tank. Each time its the same result. Iam beginning to think it is not a leak but as you guys say the rad cap being under to much pressure and must be worn.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by valleyforge1 View Post
    Cheers guys for getting back to me on this. Ive just been running it local over the last few days. Each time I bring the car back to the front door I have let it cool down. The expansion bottle emties each time and I have had to put the same amount of water into the radiator to top it up which as been 450 ml and than the other 550 in the expantion tank. Each time its the same result. Iam beginning to think it is not a leak but as you guys say the rad cap being under to much pressure and must be worn.
    Rad cap.
    I had the same issue.
    scared me for a bit as There were no leaks, nor could I see any steam when engine was up to temp, thought it was head gasket. turned out rad cap rubber seal was split and blowing all pressure through overflow.

As Mike said, get a new cap for a 5'er to see if its the issue. if not your only 5 bucks down