Last Online
    02-02-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 galant vr4

performance engine build help please

Hi all
    I've just managed to get hold of a 1996 6a13tt engine in bits that I'm hoping to build strong and fast from bottom to top, upon completion I'll get hold of a rolling body for it to go in.

To start with I'm looking for a list of parts and upgrades any of you think I will need just to strengthen the motor enough to handle any external upgrades I decide to put on it ie. Two times TD05's running upto around 30 psi boost..... Also I expect the lag will be rather bad with turbos so large so how do I go about setting up anti-lag???
    Also if anyone knows of places in NZ with upgraded/aftermarket parts for these and if any other engines have parts that are better and can be installed with not much effort or machining???

What I'm hoping my final vehicle to be is a full standard looking late 90's model Galant VR4 that sounds standard and also rides and idles smooth like a day to day sports car until....... foot goes down, revs go up, wastegate screams and I'm hitting 250k+ with ease.

Thanks people I hope some of you can point me in the right direction.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Heres your best start for info on building what you require.. As for sound and feeling standard

http://gearboxmagazine.com/richard-b...s-fastest-fto/

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Well firstly you will need forged pistons and rods. The standard crank should be fine for up to around 600hp.
    Twin TD05's will be very laggy, you will be better off with a set of larger TD04s. They will spool much better and are more suited to the engine size.
    If you want fully built heads Adam has a set with reground cams, these would be a really good place to start.

There aren't many aftermarket parts specifically for these cars - in particular your manifolds will need to be custom. There's a place in Christchurch that sells a set of TD04 manifolds for the 6A13TT - I think it's Racefab. They're not cheap though.

Name
    cade
    Last Online
    02-02-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 galant vr4

Thanks, this is exactly the type of info I'm after, how difficult is it to install anti-lag and would that work well with the TD05's or would I still be better off going for the TD04's? I'll be making the manifolds myself out of scheduled stainless so that'll cut some costs, forged and balanced pistons, rods and forged crank hard to come by? I would like to make a stronger bottom end and crank even if it's not really needed as I'd rather be safe than sorry....just incase.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

basically there is nothing off the shelf for the 6a13,

rods and pistons will be made to order,

i have a set of forged rods from a group buy but im not going down that road anymore $1300 and there yours.

pistons will cost you another pretty penny think it was another $1100 or so in the NZ group buy (wisco pistons from IPP $830USD + shipping and tax)

adam can do you a set of cam regrinds also around 1K with a set of uprated valve springs, or billet custom if you feel super flush,
    he also does customised heads

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Im currently selling custom billet cams here
    http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...fs+custom+cams

and ported cylinder heads here

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...fs+custom+cams

for 30PSI boost you will need forged rods and pistons which as GLY said are made to order parts as no manufacturers keep shelf stock for the 6A13TT engine. but a few places do have the blueprints for them. PRISM and Pauter machine have the designs for the rods and CP and IPP (wiseco) have the designs for the pistons.

as for the turbos daniel is right TD05's will be quite laggy at aproxx 4.5k rpm spool up. but a set of "trademe special" TD04's wont cut the mustard at 30PSI boost.
    a set of 19T TD04's will see you up to 5-600ish hp worth of air flow.

then there are all the other bits like ARP head and main studs as the stock ones will most likely stretch at that boost/power levels, Clutch able to handle that power, ARP rod bolts, gaskets, seals, cambelt, proper fuel pump, Injectors and all fuel lines and fittings, and intercooler and piping.

also Ive never seen a VR4 pushed to those boost levels on the stock ECU so I dont know if the stock MAF sensor will maintain resolution up at those load levels. so you may need to go to the likes of a Link G4 ECU or similar

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

also with the LINK G4 ecu you can set up motorsport functions like antilag, ignition cut rev/load limiters, boost control etc etc

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

and as per your post in your other thread. forged cranks are unavailable for these motors. I have looked into it in depth and it will be a damn expensive exercise ~5K AUD. and unnecessary unless you are shooting for 600+hp.

Name
    cade
    Last Online
    02-02-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 galant vr4

Adam.... you sir are the man, I was planning to be using a link g4 for my cpu but at this early stage I'm just trying to obtain all of the internal parts of the engine.

Ok so I think I'll skip the ultra expensive forged crank for now but maybe come back to it some time down the track if I fall on a lot of cash. I would still like to find tougher than standard bearings if you know of availability in nz?

I got your number from another thread and am very interested in your machined heads and billet cams, can't afford to purchase right now but provided you keep making them I can guarantee that when I have the readies you've made yourself a sale (will talk about performance expectation when I text you). Intercooler and piping is no drama, I'll do all that myself upon installation of engine.
    What are your thoughts on all the work I'm planning to do with making the car look and idle like a standard vr4? Look will be easy I expect but I'm thinking I might be defeating the purpose of all the work if I'm trying to keep it sounding smooth and quiet, as an exhaust system that will allow me to do that will have to be rather narrow, therefore restricting flow. Any ideas on how to combat that?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by t0rq it up View Post
    Adam.... you sir are the man, I was planning to be using a link g4 for my cpu but at this early stage I'm just trying to obtain all of the internal parts of the engine.

Ok so I think I'll skip the ultra expensive forged crank for now but maybe come back to it some time down the track if I fall on a lot of cash. I would still like to find tougher than standard bearings if you know of availability in nz?

I got your number from another thread and am very interested in your machined heads and billet cams, can't afford to purchase right now but provided you keep making them I can guarantee that when I have the readies you've made yourself a sale (will talk about performance expectation when I text you). Intercooler and piping is no drama, I'll do all that myself upon installation of engine.
    What are your thoughts on all the work I'm planning to do with making the car look and idle like a standard vr4? Look will be easy I expect but I'm thinking I might be defeating the purpose of all the work if I'm trying to keep it sounding smooth and quiet, as an exhaust system that will allow me to do that will have to be rather narrow, therefore restricting flow. Any ideas on how to combat that?
    ACL don't make Race series bearings for our engines. your best just using stock mitsubishi bearings from Bill at ralliart, they will be Ex japan. or you can let your local engine builder source them for you.

cool when it comes to the heads and cams you can give me a ring and we can discuss what sort of cam profile you want etc etc.

as for the exhaust you will never have a nice free flowing exhaust to be as quiet as stock. but a good muffler shop should be able to put something together which is semi quiet and flows decent ammount.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    08-06-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    96 Galant VR-4s

One thing to look into for exhaust is varex mufflers. I'm planning on getting one for next summer.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA_RAZER View Post
    One thing to look into for exhaust is varex mufflers. I'm planning on getting one for next summer.
    varex mufflers are illegal for road use in NZ due to the Certification and other rules. as far as I am aware...
    plus adding restriction to the system is a yuck way of making it quieter. best just getting a exhaust made to meet your needs

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    08-06-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    96 Galant VR-4s

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    varex mufflers are illegal for road use in NZ due to the Certification and other rules. as far as I am aware...
    Ah, did not know that.

Name
    cade
    Last Online
    02-02-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 galant vr4

Thanks guys, plenty of ideas to take into account, will look into all options and make sure everything's done right. I'm not going to be rushing things and ''skimping out'' on certain areas just because I'm overeager and can't afford or can't wait for a quality part.

Once underway I'll be posting plenty of pics and asking plenty of questions, glad there's people around that are willing to share knowledge and offer advice.

P.s. Adam I pickup the engine next Friday so will be in touch between then and the friday following regarding the cams and what not.
    Also does anybody know of a link g4 cpu going at a good price?