Thread: Some confusion about TPS, Idle switch and pedal position switch for Auto TCL cars

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    15-01-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Leg vr4/9-5Aero

Some confusion about TPS, Idle switch and pedal position switch for Auto TCL cars

I have been having problems with my TPS and after reading information here on the forum there is a lot of confusion for us guys with the TCL twin sensor throttle bodies.
    The Throttle position sensor is on the front of the throttle body reference the workshop manual pdf 13-2 for fuel , take a look at page 13A-208 for the tech drawing, this makes the rear sensor the pedal position sensor and Idle switch.

Which means the Idle switch adjustment is a bit different as well, if you look at pages 13A-186/187 for us TCL guys you place a .5mm feeler gauge in the throttle body for setting up the Idle switch not a .65mm or even the 1.4mm which is information I have seen thrown around then you set up the idle switch by loosening the bolts multimeter pins 3 and 4 on the sensor for ohms and turn the sensor all the way counterclockwise then back clockwise watching your multimeter until the multi shows no continuity ( idle switch has just turned on ), tighten up the sensor now.
    TPS adjustment is by checking the output of the TPS on the sensor on the front of the throttle body , should be 580mv to 690 mv with the throttle closed and the ignition on ( black wire and white/black wire) , if its not in that range loosen the bolts and move it till it is, then tighten up, you can check its functioning right by moving the throttle fully open and the voltage should climb cleanly all the way to just around 5 volts.

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    15-01-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Leg vr4/9-5Aero

as an add on the tcl cars have a twin spring throttle plate, the lever which operates these allows the tcl part of the throttle and the pedal side of the throttle to operate seperately, when they do the plate behind the throttle body opens and this is where you put the .5mm feeler gauge in

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    25-10-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum

Sorry to revive an old thread but I need some help with this.
    I have a manual conversion that has retained the TCL throttle body and hence the two TPS setup.
    I have read from other posts that at idle the value of the TPS should be around 13% of the value at open throttle (I've measured resistance but proportions shouldn't change when switching to voltage)
    the 4 pin TPS behind the throttle plate checks out but the 3 pin TPS in front of the throttle plate is at about 21%
    also the absolute values of the 2 are different 3pin (0.9-4.2kohms) 4pin(0.65-4.8kohms)

How similar do the 2 TPS need to be ( like just proportions or absolute values too)

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

13% relates to an evoscan reading through a laptop, not a multimeter reading.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    25-10-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum

Does anyone have the range of normal values for a 2 TPS setup

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

it is in the workshop manual in the library for paid up members to access.

Bye for Now!