Last Online
    29-08-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    TVR Cerbera 4.2

Performance Statistics on the 2002 Legnum VR4

Morning All, and a Happy New Year.

I have recently procurred my VR4 legnum and have been attempting to research the model, with little success. It would appear that back in the day very few, if any road tests were undertaken, therefore performance figures are a little scarce.

My question therefore (and it may have been covered in other threads on the forum that I have not been able to locate), has anyone attatched a performance meter to a standard tuned Legnum VR4 and posted a set of comprehensive performance figures? Barring that, Qtr mile figures from a dragstrip?

The only figures I could locate were for the Galant VR4 variant (estimated) at 1450kg, 0-60 in 5.9, 0-100 in around 15 and the qtr at 13.9. Suspiciously quick?

As a precursor I had the car weighed at a local weighbridge, which resulted in 1600kgs with the tank empty and no driver.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Name
    Reece
    Last Online
    14-04-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Manual Super

What the f**k haha, sorry waaaay to inebriated to comprehend what your question/post is about lol
    Manual Super #143/283

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Plenty of people have taken their cars, both standard and modified, to places like Santa Pod.

The performance figures you noted sound just about right for a standard vehicle.

The launch from a standing start is amazing with the full-time 4WD system, and the twin turbos are perfectly suited to giving a decent amount of torque from a very low RPM - a standard manual VR4 will be producing around 0.8 bar of boost from about 3000rpm, and will begin to tail off around 6000rpm, reaching about 0.6bar at the ~7600rpm redline.

Around 1600kg is about right for a Legnum VR-4, they are a little heavier than the saloon, and heavier than the non-VR4 models due to the extra weight of the 4WD system.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There is a gtech thread somewhere. A standard auto vr4 will hit 60 in 6.5s and do the 1/4 in around 15s at 90ish mph. The same car well tuned with some choice supporting mods will hit 60 in under 5s and do the 1/4 in under 14s with a terminal just below 100.
    I hope that helps!

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    29-08-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    TVR Cerbera 4.2

Thank Confused/Nick. Agreed. the step off the line feels very good due to the low gearing in 1st/2nd, the 4WD and the small turbos spooling up quickly. It appears to 'hides' its weight well until you hit third (55 mph), then that initial surge abaits. If it could duck into the high 14's on the quarter I will be happy. I guess 100 comes up in around 17 secs and 120 in around 26. From then on its pretty leisurley taking an age to get to 140mph. I ran out of road by that time. I thinks I will buy a meter that gives 10mph increments and measures standing qtrs and standing Kilometers.

Nick, as a 'next step' is it worth a remap (how much is that?) and what is the average yield over the published 276bhp and 268 ft/lb?

Thanks again in advance torque figures.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Check out this thread:
    http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?7200

I eventually did manage to cross reference the G-tech I was using with Santa Pod figures. The 1/4 et was usually within 0.1s but the terminals were very optimistic with the G-tech.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

It depends on how many mods you want to do.

For best results, check out threads by Foxdie on tuning/mapping. I'd suggest you want a free flowing exhaust, including downpipes. A good (not necessarily big) intercooler. A fuel pump and adjustable pressure regulator. Potentially a three port boost solenoid - Jason ( @foxdie ) has had good results with the Perrin, but it isn't the cheapest!

You don't tend to get big HP increases with the VR4, not often above 300bhp on UK dyno dynamics 4WD rolling roads. However, good torque increase is much easier, with up to 100lbft increases being seen.

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    29-08-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    TVR Cerbera 4.2

Thanks for that Nick, interesting read. I will get a GPS based meter (most are nowadays) for accuracy. Back in 2009 I ran my TVR Cerbera 4.2 at the POD with a 12.71 @114.8 which equated well to a Racwe Logic AP22 (using accelarometers) reading of 12.78 @114 on the road, so I am keen to discover how the leggy performs.

Would a remap get me to 300bhp at the crank?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

With the supporting mods I listed above, yes, you should get that. The tubs on the VR4 are SMALL so they run out of puff at high revs very quickly. When you increase boost to increase the power the tubs are not able to supply the boost you want to the redline, so power tails off as boost tails off. But they spool so quickly that you can get massive mid range torque increases. I hope that makes sense - it should tie in to / help explain what I have written above.

Name
    Rob
    Last Online
    31-03-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4 Type S

I love threads like this
    Tell me more ways to spend money lol

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    29-08-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    TVR Cerbera 4.2

Thanks Nick, all makes sense. I will get a baseline, then have a think about what to do.