Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

GROUP BUY! ARP 1mm Oversize Head Stud Kits

Righto. I have done some investigating into using late model evo 11mm head stud kits in our 6A13TT's

First concern I had was, were the evo studs the correct length?
    I got my hands on a stock 11mm 4G63T head bolt and did some measurements. There is a minimum of 2mm worth of head room for bolt stretch before the evo bolt will bottom out in the threads in the block which means we can use the evo studs.

I am looking at getting multiple "ARP L-19" or "A1 Technologies H11" Evo head stud kits (10 studs) to create a 16 stud VR4 kit for myself and two other VR4 owners here in NZ

The stud kits I'm looking at are

The ARP Kit
    http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...d-Package.html

275 USD per 10 studs which if we buy in multiples of 8 sets which will split into 5 exact sets of 16 (6A13TT kit) it will be 440 USD per person

The A1 Technologies Kit
    http://www.maperformance.com/map-ult...evolution.html

250 USD per 10 studs which if we buy in multiples of 8 sets which will split into 5 exact sets of 16 (6A13TT kit) it will be 400 USD per person

So is anyone interested in joining in on this?

Now I have left a few questions unanswered so to hopefully curb any queries that anyone may have here I go...

No this is not a direct fit both the heads and block require modification!
    The threads in the block need to be chased with an M11x1.25 bottoming tap so the larger 11mm studs can be screwed into the block as factory the 6A13 engines have 10mm stretch type bolts.
    The head bolt holes in the heads will need to be reamed/drilled from standard size to +1mm oversize to give appropriate clearance around the new 11mm studs (as some of the oiling to the heads passes up through past a head bolt). also the dowels will need to be removed, not that this matters as the new studs will locate the head onto the block instead.

No the stock threads in the block are NOT roll formed, they are cut, just as you would cut a thread with a tap or die, so re-tapping the block from M10x1.25 to M11x1.25 will not weaken the thread. Cast Iron is not a material that can have threads roll formed into it. only malleable steels and other malleable alloys can have threads roll formed. Also over sizing head stud threads in blocks is common practice, At work we have an 800+hp SR20 drag engine with huge over size head studs with just tapped threads, and a 930RWHP RB30DET with +1mm OS head studs.

Yes the uprated 11mm studs will be fine with the stock head gaskets, Its tight through the stock head gasket holes but they do fit.

Yes the ARP Head studs are re-useable. because the ARP/A1-Technologies studs are not "torque to yield" this means they can be reused over and over again unlike the stock bolts

Yes the L-19 ARP material is exactly the same as the A1 Technologies H11 tool steel. L-19 is just ARP's "Brand Name" for it.

Yes the L-19/H11 material is probably overkill for your average joe. I myself and the other two people already interested however are building big power motors so we need that kind of a safety factor in our builds. Making the move to 11mm studs, especially with the L-19/H11 material will mean you will Never be in danger of lifting a head and failing a gasket unless you are going to be pushing 50+Psi of boost

I will be emailing suppliers and trying to get the price down on the kits. And if there is any Interest on this thread I will run a GB thread officially later on.

please if you have any more queries, post them up and I will do my best to answer them. And I can also post photos of what needs to be done to the heads/block to make them fit.
    Last edited by Adam.Findlay; 14-05-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Thumbs up

just a random thought, as this stud swap interests me.
    does the length of the stud really matter that much, as it is a stud and not a bolt, it will just stick out futher into the head/cam area.

is the price really USD and not NZD? this will make a big difference to us in the UK.

is it really necessary to go with the 11mm stud instead of the 10mm stud. i know this is your group buy and you have chosen this option to go for, i was just wondering if it was really necessary. due to all the extra work involved in retapping and widening the head clearances, etc.
    i am asking this as i don't have all the engineering facilities to hand like you, and it adds alot more cost to the job than just changing the bolt for a stud, like for like size.
    Last edited by Davezj; 14-05-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

yes the length does matter as the studs are not threadded the whole way down. if the stud is too long you will run out of thread for the nut to screw down onto.

and yes, as per the first post the prices are in USD excluding shipping. but I am awaiting a reply from a NZ AMS dealer for a NZD price on the ARP kit

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

cheers adam you a start as always.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

can get the kits supplied to me here in NZ for 250 NZD per 4G63 kit including shipping

so thats 400NZD for 16 studs provided we buy 8 evo sets to evenly split into 5 sets of 16 studs

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i am tempted but i just dont have the spare cash at the moment

ust to let the UK people know a estimate for the final price.

400NZD is £206.55 (this is a good price for the studs)
    plus shipping, £20 ish
    plus duty (10%) on item value, £20
    plus VAT (20%) on total price of item and shipping, and possibly the duty to but i am never to sure if that is includes £50 ish

total price to UK person £295 ish unfortunately the other cost mount up. Plus the remachining cost of tapping the block and enlarging the stud holes in the heads.

or you could ask adam to drastically under value the part on the shipping form to say £40

then then it would cost the foolowing,
    item cost £40
    shipping £20
    duty £4
    VAT £13

the price would then be, actaual price £206.55 plus shipping £20, plus duty £4, plus VAT £13
    total £246ish

but you do run the risk of only getting £40 back on the part price if the package gets lost in transit.

it is just a thought.

hope i have got my sums right.

Name
    Ros
    Last Online
    23-11-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    LHD VR4

Just bought 2 sets of Toyota studs a week ago.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3308685870...84.m1439.l2649
    Strong enough even not being L19.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Cut and paste from my OZVR4 thread, have fitted the first set of 11mm evo studs to a block

As promised here are the pics of the studs fitted to the block. pardon the external links, for some reason the forum has thrown a tantrum and wont let me upload pic directly today.

Here is the block with the studs in it

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...724_175411.jpg

Here is the comparison of the bolts and studs. Stock 10mm Bolt on the bottom. Stock 11mm Evo bolt in the middle and the A1 Technologies stud on the top. Note the stud is not wasted on the shank like the stock bolts are

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...724_175440.jpg

And finally the block with studs. with the boring and honing Torque Plate ontop.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...724_180207.jpg

I didn't bother getting pics of the heads after I drilled the head bolt holes out from 11mm to 12mm because there was no real point, they look the same. but all I did was stick a 12mm drill bit in the drill press and drill down the stock holes. easy peasy!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I love what you are doing to your engine Adam keep up the good work, I am green with envy, you are doing some great work and sharing it with us on the way, excellent

Name
    raj
    Last Online
    07-02-2024
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    vr4 galant

great work ADAM......

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    I love what you are doing to your engine Adam keep up the good work, I am green with envy, you are doing some great work and sharing it with us on the way, excellent
    This isn't actually my engine, it is Carls ( @Patryn999 ) but I will be doing the same to mine.

When Carls engine build really starts coming together Ill try and grab some good pics and start a thread.

Also cheers Dave, Im always keen to help share knowledge with the club so others can better their engines.