Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    29-02-2016
    Country
    Other

Lucky Find

Hi All,
    I just wanted to say Hello as a new owner of a 2001 VR4. Luckily my son had seen the add for Dan's VR4 as seen in the for sale section here, as my son (19) couldn't insure the car, I jumped at the chance to buy it. Afterall it would have been just plain rude not to buy this very low mileage (25,500), one owner, genuine UK car, with a superb service history Inc. C.belt for a great price (£3400) I just had to have it.
    http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...002-Wallington
    There were a few things that let down an otherwise perfect car, the rear wheels had some corosion under the lacqure, the tires (NEXEN) felt really bad in the wet on the drive home, even though they were nearly new and there were some chips on the rear bumper, looked like the garage door had been closed on it. Easily fixed as Dan gave me a paint stick when I picked up the car, a few drops of thinners and it was ready to go. A bit of prep and everything was as good as new. While touching up the paintwork on the back end I decided to remove the badges (apart from the VR4 logo) and original dealer window sticker. Next up were the wheels, two were like new, but the other two needed to be sorted, I had a quote to renovate the wheels, but at £264 I decided to look at other options. I looked at changing the colour, tried a few drifferent options on the laptop and settled for black as I knew I'd soon be painting the calipers red. I painted one with a rattle can (bad idea but at least I could see the effect), after putting the wheel back on the car I still wasn't sure it was the right choice. I was amazed when I found a set of new boxed Gulf alloys with perfect dimensions (16x7 - 114.3 - 67.1 bore (no spigot required) 40mm offset) for just £160 (thank you eBay) even the colour was right. Don't get me wrong these aren't top shelf wheels, and judging by the about of weight they needed to balance them not the most refined manufacting process in the world, but for the money it just seemed to be a no brainer. New tyres were next and another great deal, 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE002 Adrenalin 205-55R16W91 for £259 fitted and balanced. These are an older design but still get good reviews as a performance street tire. They're pretty odd in the fact that they're not directional but do have a directional pattern, so the left looks different to the right when fitted to the car, but this is correct. I've also fitted a Pioneer double din head unit with MP3 and Bluetooth, new alloy gear knob (another eBay bargain) Momo alloy for just £7 although I don't think it's a genuine Momo, but the packaging was sealed so who knows and lastly a set of alloy pedals to make heel&toeing a little easier. A good service including fresh brake fluid (Dot5) and a coolant flush and I'm nearly done. Just need to get a nice weekend to under seal it and replace the front pads (EBC Yellow Stuff - unless anyone thinks that's a bad choice) and paint the front calipers red (done the back already).
    Anyway Just wanted to say Hi and hope to meet up at some shows

How it looked with red wheels - just thought I'd see how it looked - thank you Paintshop
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00691-red_zps73250147.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	69521

With the Gulf GT2 alloys fitted

Name:	PIC_7043_zps429df9f5.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	69520

Filling the arches nicely (yes I know it need lowering)

Name:	PIC_7051_zps912f49a7.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	69523

Back end

Name:	PIC_7046_zps2bdb493e.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	69524

Inside

Name:	PIC_7044_zps6644fc69.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	69525

Name
    Justin
    Last Online
    27-01-2019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 vr4 legnum

Oooo, that's a nice one. Welcome to the forum Carl.

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Welcome to the forum. Whatever you do don't cut the springs!

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

Welcome to ClubVR4
    1997 PFL Legnum VR-4 "Super Replica", White, Manual
    2001 FL Galant VR-4, Type V, Black, Manual

Past Owned
    1997 PFL Legnum ST-R, Pearl White, Tiptronic
    1998 PFL Legnum Super VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1998 PFL Legnum Super VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1999 FL Legnum VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Very nice car indeed. Enjoy
    I think you owe your boy a drink for finding it.

Those wheels look good for the money. I'm amazed you can buy a new set at that price regardless of who made them, but if they crack when you hit a pothole do let us know.

I've only tried Red Stuff but hear good things about the Yellows.

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    29-02-2016
    Country
    Other

thanks all, I'll put new springs on my Xmas list if you think that's best. went for some standard Pagid pads for now. I'll replace discs and pads together sometime in the future, as I,'ve read that the yellow stuff pads can take an age to bed in on used discs. As I do so few miles, it might take a year before they're fully bedded in. Never done a track day (yet) so I'll be OK for a while with standard pads. Gotta say feels even better now with new new tires and pads fitted and looks even better now all the calipers are painted too. loving it. Just need to find some time to underseal now.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    31-05-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

My legnum is lowered but I'm putting it back to standard ride height as it keeps grounding out. I had to put a new sump on it as the previous owner had grounded it that hard it was buckled. You'll have to be very careful if you do lower it.
    1997 legnum vr4 owner.
    She will now get the love and attention she deserves after previous owner neglect.

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    29-02-2016
    Country
    Other

Thanks, not planning on going that low.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    05-12-2016
    Country