Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car is starting to feel its age ... I suspect a replacement is coming.

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Car is starting to feel its age ... I suspect a replacement is coming.

My 1996 Galant VR-4 which I have owned now for over 11 years, is starting to feel its age, with the odd rattle here and there, electric windows playing up, due to internal fittings I suppose wearing out. The engine, transmission and chassis are still good and reliable - still starts on the first turn of the key, has lots of grunt when needed and handles in the wet well, but some hesitancy from time to time, especially when the AirCon is on.

My heart says just keep pouring money in to keep it on the road (less than $1,000 p.a currently), because I just love looking at the styling and it looks real good, even when dirty. Every time I seriously consider replacing it, it brings tears to my eyes, the thought of letting it go. 11 years is a long time to own one car, and especially one as good as this.

However, I still see myself having to replace it in a couple of years time and still not decided what kind of car to buy as a replacement.

I have given up all hope choices, and just need a basic runabout for the next 10 years or so.
    Mazda 2 - I just love the styling of these
    Mini Cooper - Cute little coupe
    Suzuki Swift - no comment required
    Mitsubishi Mirage - No!, just No!

I am still getting a Mitsubishi choices and these are good options.
    Previous generation - Lancer 2.4 VR-X - All that power in such a light car, wheels spun a lot in rental I had
    Current generation - Lancer 2.4 VR-X - No longer made anymore, but a lot heavier than the previous generation
    Japanese Import - Galant Fortis 2.0 Sport - Hey it is a Galant at least (would be my 5th)
    Brand-new - Lancer 2.0 SEi - All the luxury of the Lancer VR-X, but a little less on power, but 'brand new'

Possibly also consider a Mazda 3 - 2.3 or VW Golf GTi at this level

There is still some life in me still
    Lancer 2.0 Ralliart - Almost an EVO X, but a little more sedate.
    Porsche 968 - It's the ultimate 944, probably one of the best drivers car of it's day
    Porsche 911 (993) - It's a real Porsche, but still very much 'mid-life-crisis' choice
    Toyota GT-86 / Subaru BRZ - Wow!, just Wow!, who cares if it can only carry a couple kids in the back (just)

... may still consider a Lancer EVO X, but it really only a VR-4 replacement ... but maybe just a bit too hardcore for me now.

Time to retire gracefully, but oh so heavy cars
    Jaguar X-Type 3.0 AWD - Classic front end, but probably too much like my VR-4
    Jaguar S-Type V8 - I just love the classic look of these, the XF will never grow on me ever, I like the 'retro'
    First Generation BMW 540i - Last non-Bangalised model, my brother-in-law had one, maybe quite expensive to keep running though
    Current model Ford Mondeo 'Titanium' edition - These just look so good.

Still lots of time before I need to decide and have to make a decision. But the next car will have to last me again another 10+ years, so I want it to be the right one for me, and one I will love as much as I do the VR-4. I need to remember I am 53 soon, so lots of 'boy-racer' stuff is nearly gone. Which is one of the reasons why I still love the VR-4 - The Gentleman's EVO.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

my experience with a mazda 3 2006 (well an axela, but the same haha) nice car to drive, decent power, handles well, comfy to drive, my sister has one, in manual, the 2.3l, was pretty cheap to drive to christchurch from tuaranga, would easily do over 700k from a 55l tank, and the petrol gauge wasn't retarded haha, i'd day its a good car, but i cant compare to the others, i'd still rather have the legnum though

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

My opinion is if you want a 10+ year car, don't buy euro!

Toyota 86 handles well, go reasonably well, but I would hate to think of the up keep in 10 years time (keeping in mind it's engine out to replace the spark plugs!)

Out of your list I would go for the mitsis or the mazda 3. Mazda 3 you have the mps option if you want a go fast car (2.3 turbo) or you can go mazda 6 mps. Only thing is that they only come in manual.

If you want something that will hold its value, go corolla.

Another alternative that you haven't mentioned is lexus is250. Nice to drive and can get one for a reasonable price.
    If you want to go fast, lexus isf. You can get a second hand one for less than evo money.
    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    07-10-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2009 Evo X

I'm biased, having just made the jump to the evo 10. They're an amazing car, lots of power but really light and easy to drive. They also come with 6 speed twin clutch auto transmission if your that way inclined.

But out of the rest of your list I would have to say mazda 3. Cheap economical and reliable With all that said its somehow not boring to drive either.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

wouldnt touch a euro car, if you cant afford a new one, you cant afford the upkeep on a 2nd hand one.

no comment on the other cars as i have no experience with them,

and after having my legnum so long, i dont miss it... was too expensive to keep on road for the little kms i did in it each year.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

We've had a 2006 Mazda 3 for 6 years now, 2.0 petrol 150 bhp 6 speed manual flavour. It's a nice car, plenty of toys, quiet, reliable, much cheaper to run than the Legnum. It's negative is that everything is over assisted. The steering is too light, you find yourself braking and accelerating harder than you want to and even the stereo volume goes from slightly too quiet at volume level 2 to slightly too loud at volume level 3. Bear in mind that the Mazda 3 has changed twice since then so those problems might have been addressed. Also, if those issues were really a problem then we wouldn't still have the car!

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

I've driven a 2006 (2007 model year, so facelift) Mazda Axela while I was selling it for a relative.

It was a fun car to drive, but the steering is quite light and it spun up the tyres really easily (they weren't useless tyres either). Fuel economy was quite good too.

I would get one to use as my daily work car, but to be honest - nothing can really replace the VR4 in terms of power for the money.

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Gave the car a comprehensive nose to tail professional valet - feels a like a 'new' car again. Extends the love for it. Did a browse around new cars while it was getting done - The 2015 Subaru WRX w/tiptronic is certainly an option one day.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT View Post
    First Generation BMW 540i - Last non-Bangalised model, my brother-in-law had one, maybe quite expensive to keep running though

I remember reading a front cover story on a BMW mag a few years ago about Chris Bangle with the headline:

"The Cars Bangle Spannered"

Given the American's unpopular new designs, it must hold the record for most puns ever in one headline!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

I see reasonable options in you list and in the comments made. Also I can confirm: don't buy a euro! They are not nearly as reliable as the Japanese cars and therefore expensive and annoying to spend time and money on fixing. Keep that VR4 rolling, throw a bit of money into it to keep it in proper shape, quickly forgetting those starting little things! There is simply no substitute for this car looking at cost, looks and performance.

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    15-01-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Leg vr4/9-5Aero

2007 on 350z....im looking at one of these

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS
    My Garage
    Visit

Go drive the Evo X...you will be pleasantly surprised in standard form how refined it actually is!

Other than that its between the Porkers and as mentioned above the 350Z
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Ok ... next year my VR-4 will be 20 years-old. In that time, I feel this is a car that still has not been surpassed, in the value for money stakes. However, next year is also when it will need the full 'D' service, where all the fluids get replaced and anything they find needs fixing and replacing. The last time I had this done a few years back, they found a few things and the whole cost was over $5,000. Now while that cost is high, it is still not as high as a replacement car would cost (~$15,000 for a Lancer VR-X - my preferred replacement). My mechanic has said it maybe time to consider getting a newer car, as it is getting to the point where lots of things start to break, e.g. MAF, A/C control unit, Water washer bottle, New set of 4 tyres (~$1,600 so far this year). So if I go ahead and get the full 'D' service, which includes, the cambelt change, new spark plugs, new fluids, new water pump, etc. etc., am I throwing good money after bad. It may only be worth ~$2-3,000 in the open market, but it is worth a lot more than that to me. I still feel proud walking up to it, and I seriously think I will genuinely cry my eyes out if I have to let it go for my aforementioned replacement.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Three options I guess Richard.

1. Keep running it as before, no expense spared and see how long it goes for. It would be another five years before the next big service.
    2. Sell it and move on. The next car won't be the same but maybe you can enjoy a different mix of qualities, say refinement and economy?
    3. Keep the car but stop servicing it. At some point it will die and force you to move on. I suspect that there is a good chance that it will keep going for a few years anyway, hopefully allowing you to build up some extra cash towards the replacement.

It's always going to be a personal choice, and in the end it will be very difficult if not impossible to keep choosing option 1.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm in the same boat with mine, although I've only had mine for 7 years.
    However, mine is also starting to let itself down with bodywork, so my choices also include a bodywork and paint refresh.
    I've not really found anything that is within my budget as a replacement.
    Maybe I don't need the power now I have the Anglia, but it's always nice to have, and I'm not sure if I could cope without it!
    I don't think you can ever really take servicing costs into consideration when thinking about replacements, as every car has servicing costs (well, unless you buy new every time, but that's throwing money away in another way). Certainly for me, if I get something different, it's likely my servicing costs will go up massively - lack of a great community and collective knowledge from here, and it's possible (in the case of say, an Audi RS6, which is a potential thought for me) that my dad doesn't know my replacement car as well as the Legnum, so I'll have to go elsewhere for knowledge, which I'll have to pay for!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

I have the Lancer Ralliart 2.0 with SST box - veyr nice with Ralliart seats, cruise and other niceities plus 240 bhp/lsd

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

I have discussed with my wife to see how it goes for the next year, and if a pattern of small breaks develops over that year, than we will probably need to replace it.

This what it will be - If I go for it.
    2007_mitsubishi_lancer_vrx_5690123451341210935.jpg

2.4 Litre, Paddle shifters, Blue, Sedan.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Vicky has a 2015 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol. I actually really enjoy driving it and rarely miss the power. But then if I want or need more power I just use my car.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Vicky has a 2015 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol. I actually really enjoy driving it and rarely miss the power. But then if I want or need more power I just use my car.
    Haha, my work and daily is mazda 6 2.5 and I like everything, comfort, stiffness, interior, exterior, toys ect but lack of power killing all joy. Up to this stage that I consider turboit as apparently its plug and play bolt on job using MPS bits.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    15-01-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Leg vr4/9-5Aero

I have just bought a 2007 Forester 2.5 XT, they are not the best looking cars but there is so much to do to them as its a shared WRX/STI platform, I intent to keep it ultra sleeper and make it handle and perform like a dream

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast