Last Online
    11-05-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR-4

Starter dead, Where is it?

Hi,

My starter is dead, Just a click when i turn the key in the ignition.Can someone tell me where i can find the starter motor on a Galant VR4 -98?

The lights dim when i try to start the car and then the click comes. The battery is in good condition - already tested that out.

What's the easiest way to remove it? is it accessible from the engine bay from above? or do I have to lift the car up?

-RocketD0G
    Owner of a Black Galant VR-4:
    - White Leather and carbon interior.
    - K&N Air panel filter.
    - Irdium spark plugs.
    - Seibon Carbon bonnet.
    - Sard R2D2 BOV
    -
    CLUBVR-4 floor mats.
    And more to come!
    Yellow
    light at the trafficlights means, FLOOR IT!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i would recheck the battery it sounds like the battery can't deliver enough power and the ecu says no start.

but that aside, starter motor removal is very easy.
    it is right at the front of the engine, in the middle, only accessable from the bottom.
    it is easier to remove the starter with the front to back cross member removed (5 bolts only), but i can't remember if it has to be removed or not.
    then it is just a case of unbolt wires from starter motor,
    then unbolt start motor from gear box, 2 bolts only, one from each side of the gear box flange.

but remember you have to disconnect the battery before starting the starter motor removal or risk shouting out battery.

Bye for Now!

Name
    John
    Last Online
    11-05-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    i would recheck the battery it sounds like the battery can't deliver enough power and the ecu says no start.

but that aside, starter motor removal is very easy.
    it is right at the front of the engine, in the middle, only accessable from the bottom.
    it is easier to remove the starter with the front to back cross member removed (5 bolts only), but i can't remember if it has to be removed or not.
    then it is just a case of unbolt wires from starter motor,
    then unbolt start motor from gear box, 2 bolts only, one from each side of the gear box flange.

but remember you have to disconnect the battery before starting the starter motor removal or risk shouting out battery.

I had the battery tested at the local battery-dealer who said it's in really good condition. (it's an Optima Redtop). Tried jumper-cables too but no cigar.
    I couldn't just figure out where the starter was located, I heard clicking from somewhere under the airfilter- box. And was going slightly mad when I didn't find it. I'll go back to the car and jack it up.

It's just in a bad place right now as it's standing on my workplaces parking so i have a bit of walking

-RocketD0G

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by RocketD0G View Post
    I had the battery tested at the local battery-dealer who said it's in really good condition. (it's an Optima Redtop). Tried jumper-cables too but no cigar.
    I couldn't just figure out where the starter was located, I heard clicking from somewhere under the airfilter- box. And was going slightly mad when I didn't find it. I'll go back to the car and jack it up.

It's just in a bad place right now as it's standing on my workplaces parking so i have a bit of walking

-RocketD0G
    It might just be a bad connection, i think there is a starter reply somewhere. i can't think to deeply at the moment i am still hung over.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I can confirm that the starter motor can be removed/refitted without taking the north-south cross member off.

So disconnect battery, remove the two electical connections, and remove the two 14mm bolts (they are fitted in opposite directions and are different lengths).
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.