10-10-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

heater problem

help, just noticed this weekend

my heater does not work unless with aircon ON and temp set to 32 degrees

anyone else had this problem and a solution please ?
    DRIVE SAFELY

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Huh?

If the car is at 31 degrees then that is right. Can you give more information? How long were you driving, what was the outside temperature, was the car cold inside, was it day/night etc.

I assume you have checked the coolant level?

Name
    Dixon
    Last Online
    10-10-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

hi Nick, drove about 8 hours and temp outside about 10-15 degrees (left Auckland about 11-30am and home in wellington at 7pm for dinner).
    coolant in radiator bottle all good.

could it be a blockage in the heating hoses?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've noticed on longer journeys that the air from the vents gets cooler and I have to turn up the temp to keep the car warm. I think that there is an internal temp sensor on the climate control unit that warms up with the lights etc. There is a hose that attaches at the back of the temperature knob that I assume is there to try and keep everything under control. Certainly the issue seems worse if that tube is not attached. I have considered wiring in a small fan to move the air through that tube to see if the cabin temperature is better controlled on long journeys.

Certainly first I would check if the car is behaving normally now everything has cooled down and I would be checking the tube on the back of the climate control unit.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

In addition to what Nick says, I think it is worse if you have an aftermarket stereo. The extra heat from the non-standard stereo also causes the internal temperature sensor in the climate control module to read higher than usual.

Some BMWs have a similar issue - they placed the temperature sensor above the cup holder - so if you put a hot drink in there, the temperature drops, and if you put a cold drink there, the temperature increases!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    22-11-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

You need to swap the tray with the stereo, so that instead of this:

A/C ECU
    Stereo
    Tray

you have this

A/C ECU
    Tray
    Stereo

I had the exact same issue (cold air out of vents when I wanted it warmer in the car) in my V6 N/A Galant, and the swap solves it. Also did the same swap on the Legnum.

Name
    Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    You need to swap the tray with the stereo, so that instead of this:

A/C ECU
    Stereo
    Tray

you have this

A/C ECU
    Tray
    Stereo

I had the exact same issue (cold air out of vents when I wanted it warmer in the car) in my V6 N/A Galant, and the swap solves it. Also did the same swap on the Legnum.
    Interesting, I have mine A/C, Stereo, Tray with no issues (so far...). I had one issue in the previous galant where a plug under the glovebox had burnt out but that was giving me constant heat.
    1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 - ProSport Oil Pressure/Oil Temperture/AFR/Boost/Volts Gauges - TSW Nurburgring w/ 235/40/18 - 600x280x60 FMIC - Turbosmart Boost Tap - EVO Style Bonnet - Ganador Mirrors - Keyless Entry & Start - 1x4 Channel Amp (60W RMS) - 1xMono Block (500W RMS) - Broken Speakers & Tweeters - 12" Sub (400W RMS) SOLD

2001 BMW 320I - Light Upgrade Kit (Amber Removal) - Carbon Badges

2006 BMW 325i E91 - 20" BGW INTRUDER (MATT BLACK) [Front: 8.5 Rear: 9.5] - Lowering Springs

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Pull off the console trim and check that the yellowish plastic pipe is connected correctly to the back of the AC control unit. This goes downwards and exits somewhere behind the dash just a little above the transmission tunnel. This is where the AC unit gets its internal temperature reading from and if it is disconnected, you can get the problems you have described.

Name
    Dixon
    Last Online
    10-10-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Pull off the console trim and check that the yellowish plastic pipe is connected correctly to the back of the AC control unit. This goes downwards and exits somewhere behind the dash just a little above the transmission tunnel. This is where the AC unit gets its internal temperature reading from and if it is disconnected, you can get the problems you have described.
    thanks Kenneth (and everyone else) for your input to this problem, l will check it out when time is available before the next cold long drive

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Aye, if the pipe is not connected it makes the issue much worse. The pipe can be black as well as yellowish and sometimes nearly clear. My pipe is connected and driving for more than 2 hours with the lights on means I have to start increasing the temp on the controller.