Rob
    Last Online
    13-06-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Ralliart Lancer

Hi from Melbourne

G'day guys! Joined the site quite a while ago to research but haven't actually introduced myself. My name's Rob, I'm from Melbourne Australia and I'm looking into importing a facelifted Legnum Type S manual. Considering the import with Iron Chef who seem to have a great reputation
    Currently driving a 2009 Lancer Ralliart with about 200 kw atw which has been a very good car to me, looking at staying in the Mitsu family! I'll keep poking around the site using the search bar, but if anybody has some useful bits of information they'd like to share, I'm all ears! Particularly relating to any pros/cons of the car, as well as where you guys have sourced your aftermarket parts for the 6A13TT Legnum.
    Thanks and all the best

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Facelift Legnum type S Manual? It's a rare beast, so will take some searching. Have you already found it? I settled for an auto and then converted to manual. I can't fault you on your search criteria though!

There aren't many specific off the shelf parts for the 6A13TT so the best bet is to have a look at forums and then ask questions about the bits you want to upgrade. The stock exhaust is restrictive, the stock intercooler is not the best and whilst you can get good torque increases with boost control it is tricky to get the little tubs to increase power by much.

Have fun, keep us informed and wherever appropriate show us photos!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

a few years back there was few and far between for aftermarket parts for the 8G VR4's but the catolouge has been growing rapidly and the wealth of knowledge here and over on OZVR4.com makes modifying these cars so much easier than it used to be.

as Nick said already the best place to start is a good exhaust system, better intercooler. Being that you are looking at a facelift one it will come stock with a re-programmable ECU so if you replace the stock boost control solenoid with a 3 port aftermarket item you can reprogam the ecu to run ~1bar of boost which is about as far as you want to push the stock tiny turbos.
    the next thing you will want to look at after that is a fuel pump. a simple Walboro 255LPH in tank pump does the trick and then geting someone to tune your car. TME_Steve over on OZVR4 is a reputable tuner who has plenty of experience with VR4's and hes based in Australia.

there is plenty to do in the handling department too.
    Legnums benefit from a rear strut brace. it really stiffens the car up.
    coilovers of course,
    you can convert the rear diff from AYC to EVO RS mechanical LSD very easily.
    Evo 4-6 Front LSD's also fit into the VR4 Transfer cases.
    Cusco or Selbys do uprated sway bars.
    Being that you are looking at a Facelift car Evo 5-9 Brembo calipers and discs will bolt straight on (just need wheels that fit over the massive brembo calipers as the stock wheels wont)

I personally work with camshafts, cylinder head porting and engine machining so I can offer all of those services for the VR4 Have built a few forged engines for ClubVR4 members.

What do you intend to do with the car if you get it?

Name
    Rob
    Last Online
    13-06-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Ralliart Lancer

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I've already found the sticky for the list of available mods and have had a bit of a look on that to get an idea of what's available out there. Nick, can I ask how much a manual conversion set you back? That mite be a viable option seeing as there is a lot more autos out there on the used market.

Adam I intend to do with it more or less the mods you have listed! It would however be a daily for the immediate future after getting one, but I intend to go down a similar path as I have with my Lancer, that is, making it a quick but reliable daily. So possibly FMIC, IC pipes, fuel pump, exhaust, 3-port/EBC, wheels and coils/springs & shocks to start. Then maybe further down the path when I've seen how she runs with the mods I mite look at a turbo upgrade. e85 would be nice too if people have had success with it.

Thanks again for your advice. I know it's not the most practical car for me and where I'm at in my life at the moment, but I've always wanted one and I think now's the time!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Definalty sign up on OZVR4 man. BCX and TME_Steve are working on implementing flex fuel on the stock ecu's
    can get some decent power from the tiny stock turbos the most Ive seen is a car with a set of my cams in it, 600x300 intercooler, exhaust and walboro fuel pump. that car made ~230Kw at the wheels.
    you could possibly get even more than that if you run it on E85

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I did the conversion myself and had the parts from the previous car, so to me the only cost was fluids and a bit of time. In the UK all the parts to convert to manual coming from a breaker cost in the region of £600, depending on the condition and clutch. If I convert I charge £500 for labour and fluids. Usually the costs of converting add up to more than the difference in the value of the cars in the first place, but it does open up options. I have no idea how the parts/labour would convert to Aus$