Last Online
    02-10-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4 -97

“Back pressure” Manuel Boost Controller

Hi guys!

After having some problems maintaining the boost level at high speed, I have installed a Manuel Boost Controller.

Before, the boost pressure when accelerating from 0-140 km/t was around 1.0 bar between 0-90 km/t and at 90-140 around 0,8 bar.
    But when traveling at 110 km/t and then accelerating “hard” but still in 5 gear the boost pressure was only 0,3 - 0,4.

After installing the MBC, the boost gauge shows peaks around 1,8 bar when accelerating in 3 gear, and easily hitting 1,3-1,5 bar when accelerating in 5 gear at 110 km/t.
    Of cause, I let go of the throttle instantly at those readings.

However, in my opinion this is not possibly with my current setup with standard turbo.

I therefor search through the web, and found this video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0lxBJ4k8mk

At 2:50 – 3:45 in the video, it states that the boost showing on the gauge is much higher, than the actually boost level.

I do not want to ruin my car, and would like a steady 1.0 bar at max. – But how do I get that?
    If I turn the nob, so the gauge is showing 1.0 bar, it reached 100 km/t at around 8 second. Telling me, that it is not “enough pressure”.
    I have checked the gauge with my compressor, and the readings is fine.
    My installation is the same as on the video.
    Help or comments is appreciated.

Alternatively, is the best way to simply by a Tactrix 3 ports plug and play? – Or other?

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?opt...hk=1&Itemid=53

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

“Back pressure” Manuel Boost Controller

My guess is you have connected it wrong and the wastegate actuators are not seeing any boost pressure, so giving you absolutely max pressure the turbos can give. Just like if you disconnect then completely.
    I have bought one of these MBC before and they are real crap if it is one of the £12 versions.
    Many people have said they have fitted this type of mbc correctly but most have not.

My version of this mbc did not work at all it was so badly made with swarf and globs of paint on the inside of the mbc it was blocked. It have max boost all the time.

I threw it away and bought a mbc that worked.

As for the 3 port boost solenoid this will not do anything for you with respect to boost control unless you can reprogram your ecu. If you have standard boost pressure set in you ecu changing the boost solenoid will not change the boost pressure.
    Last edited by Davezj; 06-06-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Troels
    Last Online
    02-10-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4 -97

What did you bought?

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

Turbosmart do a very good one.
    You are wasting your time trying to get a steady 1 bar as you just won't, especially using a MBC
    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Trolkar View Post
    What did you bought?
    I ended up buying an EBC so I can change the pressure as and when I want to from within the car. It took a little bit of playing with to setup but it works great.
    I can't remember the name off the top of my head but it was only £100.
    Turbo smart is quite a good mbc as stated above and I did have one, but I let someone borrow it and never got it back, and I can't remember who I loaned it to.
    But the turbosmart one I had cost about £60. @elnevio nev's bought a very good mbc for less and found it to be very reliable he can tell which type he bought. I am sure he will read this post and respond.

But this topic has been covered many many times before and a bit of searching will come up with the bad and good mbc (daws device).

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I got one from 3 Bar Racing in the States. Home of the original Dawes Device.

The Dawes Device website is the place to get one now, at http://dawes-devices.com/collections...ost-controller

I had excellent results with mine, no spiking, just lovely smooth boost!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    15-01-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Leg vr4/9-5Aero

I have a dawes device with the ceramic ball bearing, cant fault it, holds boost well , very small boost spike of .1 bar for less than a second on WOT gearchanges.

Name
    Troels
    Last Online
    02-10-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4 -97

Problem solved for now

It turned out, that the ”cheap crap” had the labels done wrong. – Therefore, the “T” piece with a one-way valve did not allow air to pass to the waste gate, causing the boost level to peak a 1.5 bar.

I have turned the “T” piece around, and it now boost 1,1-1,2. For an extremely short time, it may hit 1.3.

And it holds the pressure between 0,9-1,1 up to 130 km/t. (Haven’t been able to test on highway yet)

Therefore, for now, I am happy. – But the thought of a “cheap thing” in my engine bay is killing me.
    Should I buy a Dawes MBC or the Tactrix Solenoid? – OR just accept the fact that it is working for now?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

It's a bit of a personal choice. Personally I have a 3 port solenoid controlled by the ecu.