09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

fair enough, it must have been the ozvr4 kit that used the ep3 coil packs.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-06-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    Galant VR-4

Here in Russia become popular to install 6 coils from Colt, 4g19 engine. Its pretty cheap and easy to find, almost bolt-on

Name
    Anders
    Last Online
    23-10-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR4-19T&Legnum

That sounds interesting Any pics of an install?

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

got it all sorted civic coils, direct plugs for the legnum coil plugs and plugs for the civic coils all in fitted to the engine for just 125 all in, my only prob was getting the coils fitted to the rear that's now sorted a bit of ally tube wiith 6mm thread in tig welded to the rocker cover just used the stock locations on the front even the engine cover fits so you wouldn't know it was done all plug and play, did look into Toyota ones but was the 4 plug wasn't happy with if there is 4 its designed to have 4, so used civic ones others have used these and were fine.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

nice job sounds like you are get there pretty quickly.

it would be nice to turn it from a wasted spark to a single spark and fire the coils at half the frequency, because they can be and this would probably improve reliability and longevity of the system.

the only reason i say this is at say 7200rpm the coil on a wasted spark setup will be firing every about 8.3ms as each of the pair of coils is firing on every revolution of the engine instead of every two revolutions on a none wasted spark system.
    i know the coils will have enough time to charge before they are fired but if you can fire the coils at half the frequency it would be worth doing.
    not sure how i would do it, but it is worth thinking about, it would probably work ok in hardware with a D type or RS type flipfolp. but i am not sure what latency this will add to the control.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

the toyota's 4th pin is for individual cylinder misfire detection. the coils will operate perfectly fine with only the remaining 3 connected, power ground and signal wires. its purely for toyotas on board diagnostics.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    20-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    nice job sounds like you are get there pretty quickly.

it would be nice to turn it from a wasted spark to a single spark and fire the coils at half the frequency, because they can be and this would probably improve reliability and longevity of the system.

the only reason i say this is at say 7200rpm the coil on a wasted spark setup will be firing every about 8.3ms as each of the pair of coils is firing on every revolution of the engine instead of every two revolutions on a none wasted spark system.
    i know the coils will have enough time to charge before they are fired but if you can fire the coils at half the frequency it would be worth doing.
    not sure how i would do it, but it is worth thinking about, it would probably work ok in hardware with a D type or RS type flipfolp. but i am not sure what latency this will add to the control.
    hes running a aftermaket ECU I think so provided its not a crap ECU he should be able to run sequential ignition and not have to dual fire the coils or have external hardware to make them skip fires, although there is no reason to do so anyway as you won't underdwell one of those coils at 7200rpm, even firing them every 360deg instead of every 720deg. the OZVR4 boys have people pushing 350+wheel horsepower on those COP kits naughtika sells firing them on a wasted spark interval

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    hes running a aftermaket ECU I think so provided its not a crap ECU he should be able to run sequential ignition and not have to dual fire the coils or have external hardware to make them skip fires, although there is no reason to do so anyway as you won't underdwell one of those coils at 7200rpm, even firing them every 360deg instead of every 720deg. the OZVR4 boys have people pushing 350+wheel horsepower on those COP kits naughtika sells firing them on a wasted spark interval
    sorry yes went the cheapest ecu I could find hks fcon vpro gold, did look into others and swap it but the hks is one of the best for tuning only down side is only tuneable by hks dealer.

the coils are good for 9-10k rpm as there civic and s2000 coils the my pitterfull 7200 isn't going to upset them, my next issue is plugs once again the front plugs were ok but the backs were really burnt after just 3-6k miles there ment to be 60k mile plugs at 7.25 a plug they wernt cheap either so not sure what plugs to go to currently on iridium 7s

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by billybobboot View Post
    the coils are good for 9-10k rpm as there civic and s2000 coils the my pitterfull 7200 isn't going to upset them
    you have missed the point of what i was saying,
    the 4 stroke cycle fire the plug every 2 revolution of the crank. the honda engines have one coil per cylinder so the coil only fires every 2 revolutions. so at 9000 rpm the coil only fires every other revolution 4500 times per minute
    the VR4 fires it coils on every revolution because it shares a coil per 2 cylinders so at 7200rpm the coil fires 7200 time per minute.
    so doing a basic replace one of the vr4 coil with 2 honda coils, the honda coils are still firing every revolution of the crank, so the honda coils are firing about 60% more time per minute when fitted to the VR4 than they did in say the s2000 at 9000rpm.

sorry for the granny sucking eggs description james, but i wanted to make it obvious for anyone reading this i am not doing it for you as i know you get this stuff and it was just an oversight on you behalf.

however,that said, adam has confirmed that this is not an issue with regard to the charge time for the coils between firing, this system has already been used extensively to get some good results, i have some ep3 coils waiting to go into my car after reading the results on the OZVR4 forums.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I know what you mean about the fire rate but it also comes down to how quickly the coils charge the stock coils may fire more regularly but the coils are also bigger and take longer to charge. Once at hi rpm with upped boost the stock coils cant produce enough power / charge mostly on the rear you loose a little of the power threw the ht leads + any cross flow from the ht leads tuching eachother and the metal. if you actually run a car in the very dark that runs ht leads you can actually see what i mean so yes the coils are firing more but the charge rate is very sim but you eliminate the loss of power threw the leads. So the slight less charge time give a better result. All in all 2 smaller coils charging from the same power (volts and amps) to 1 big coil there should be very little diffrence as once the coil is charged it wont hold / amplifi any more this is what normally burns out a coil is it being over charged. If it was 2 big coils compared to 1 big or 2 small then yes it would create an issue. But all im doing is effectively splitting a big coil into 2 small ones

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I am not saying there is anything wrong with what you are doing, only clarifying why a made the comment above about firing rate, of wasted spark verses single coil per plug.
    P
    I will be doing exactly the same as you. Running 6 coils in 3 pairs, it has been done before and has been proven to work.

It is quite interesting the way you have mounted them as well. I believe you have welded post directly to the rocker cover which is nice and simple. Others have fabricated plates with pillars on them bolted the plate to the rocker cover and then bolted the coil pack to the plate.
    Yours is much simpler.

Did you bolt the pillars to the coil pack then put the coil pack in place then tack weld the pillar to the rocker cover, remove the coil pack then Finnish the weld.
    It means you can fit them without having to measure anything, apart from the Length of the pillar. Is this different on the front rocker compared to the rear. I would guessing it would be.

Sorry for all the questions I am just interested for obvious reasons.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

front was nice and easy, put plugs in gone with bkr8s ive had 2 sets of 7s and had lots of probs + with the turbos thought 8s were maybe a bit excessive but at the same price as 7s thought why not + the 8s are what the cozzy boys run, anyways

put plugs in put coils in messured the gap between the bottom of the coil mount hole and the stock coil mount point took some steel tube cut it put a washer at the top next to the coil and bolted in place job done, the middle coil i just put the stock coil mounting bar on and it all lined up perfect coils are slightly off set so plugs fit.

rear i did think about a plate but then was like what do i bolt the plate to as there is nothing there so did the same as the front except use some ally tube that the inside was slightly smaller than the bolt and again mesured the gap this time between the rocker over and bottom of the coil mount and cut 3 tubes thredded the tubes and bolted them to the test coil (a scrap yard coil if i burnt the coil so what its going in the bin) i thing tig tac welded the tubes to the rocker cover un bolted it all took the rocker cover off and then tiged them all up, now i can simly bolt the coils down, the only down side is the rear coils plugs face the gearbox so the wires go to each coil on the back then have to come back on them selfs to be rooted the same way the ht leads did, ive wrapped all 3 plugs in a red cable tube so just looks like a stock wire as ive changed all my wire covers to red,

ill take some pics at some point, but with a front engine cover on it looks very neat and tidy and is plug and play so if the engine has to come out you just un clip the stock coil plugs and leave the new coil wire on the coils.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

the issue you will always have is what do i bolt the coils to, my other option was to make a bar up and bolt the coils to the intake manifold meaning you took the intake off and it took the coils off to but this didnt look as good so gave up.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

interesting, very interesting.

pictures would be great if you can.

Name
    stian
    Last Online
    06-04-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4 99

Secon that!!^^

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    29-06-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 LPG

Third that, especially if it can be done with the stock ecu too

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I dont know how to add pics but i do have some.
    Yes you can do this with stock ecu.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

20151109_082331.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Its not 100% clear as photo with all 3 welded lugs wont load but i welded 3 lugs on drilled and tapped them the bolted the new coils to it job done.
    Next got a plug kit made 3 wires from each coil at the back wired them to there coil at the front then put a conection plug to the original plug so its all plug and play and easly removable i can put the rear back to ht leads by just getting a stock coil and ht set and putting them in its all swappable

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast