Last Online
    04-10-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant

Curtain New Member With Questions

Hi there!

My name's Marek and i am an owner of a Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6, 1998, Kombi Sports Edition, Universal. I really love the Mitsubishi cars (mainly the steering and hidden power of acceleration) thats why i call my Galant a "Silent Assassin". Nobody expects an universal car to pump out kW . Anyways since owning an universal i'm looking for a sedan VR4. Thats where i found out about this forum. I want to say hi to everyone and hope you could please answer me a couple of questions:

1) Having doing some research i still cant comprehend one fact. Is the VR4 a separate model of the Mitsubishi Galant series or not. Let's say i want to build a VR4 by buying a 2002 year Galant and transferring a Legnum engine on the Galant. Is it a VR4 or not?

2) My second question is related to my 1st one. Is it possible (kind of stupid to ask) to build your own VR4 from a Galant by just doing an engine swap from the Legnum VR4. Ive heard that adding a turbo (in this case a new engine with twin turbos) to a car that wasnt expected to use a turbo, it can wear it down really fast. So my 2nd question would be is it possible to do this swap and not wear down the car real fast.

3) When comparing the VR4 and Galant (lets say 2002 year), are there any mechanical differences? If i would decide to do the engine swap can the Galant withstand the Legnum engine without breaking down? Suspension, steering etc.

People ask quite a bit for VR4 (ive seen 10k and above) for sedans. To be honest i would rather buy a 2002 galant for 1k and then buy a Legnum engine for 1.5k and add about 2k other stuff on it and get it cheaper rather than pay 10k for it. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Marek

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    LR 110, 99 vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome Marek,

Short answer is no, it's not just the engine that is different. Other more wise members will be on soon but the shell of the vehicle is the same after that it is pretty much all uprated on the vehicle. to change it all it would be cheaper buying a VR4.

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

legnum and galant are basically the same, except the legnum is a wagon, everything engine and drivetrain wise are the same, car year doesnt make too much difference, few changes between pre face lift and facelift, facelift came out in 98. So are you wanting to swap your current 2.5na for the vr4 engine? search will help a lot with your question, search vr2, probably easiest if you use advanced search and search titles only, few people have put the vr4 engine in place of the standard engine and used the gearbox from the 2.5na, only seen them using manuals though

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Swap engine and gearbox between vehicles but 4wd not there...

As said, cost and effort worth it...?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

A VR4 is a twin turbo and 4wd version of the Galant. A Legnum is an estate car, not necessarily a VR4. You can have a Galant VR4 or a Legnum VR4.

The floor of the car is different between a FWD version and a 4WD version.

Along with other information above you should be getting a good idea about what you want to do. Keep asking and keep looking through the forums.

Name
    Boy
    Last Online
    04-11-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 mitsi vr4

Come buy a vr4 here in NZ . They are going cheap.. but a lot need tlc as they been thrashed, I bought mine for 5.5k and thats the most expensive I've seen them here... i tried to source a body for my 1st engine and drive train... was going to be more trouble than it was worth, so I bought another... so decided to see if the engine and drive train would fit in a normal galant body, but no... would have to be converted to 2wd