nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

getting to know my car lol.

after long ownership and the car has always been service by dealer so I don't know much about it and bring such a big lump there isn't much room in there lol.

now I thinking I would try change the belts and the oil also want to fit my HKS air filter but I run into few things right away hahaha so let me ask for some expert advise .

any info on how todo belt change? what oil should be used in winter time? where can I buy an MAF intake adapter for the air filter? and would these brakes fit?.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-MI...kAAOSwo0JWJmIx

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

There are over 100 articles on " how to " in the members section including a detailed bolt by bolt how to change the belts. £20 on the membership fee will be the best £20 you will ever spend on your car. Don't bother with the HKS filter, it won't make you go any faster and it may make it slower it just looks pretty for the chavs. Spend the money on a FMIC and boost controller or get your ECU flashed, that will make a world of difference. Good luck.
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Those brakes will fit a 99 on VR4. There is lots of useful information here that you can often find with a search.

Name
    nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

Quote Originally Posted by John TheAntique View Post
    There are over 100 articles on " how to " in the members section including a detailed bolt by bolt how to change the belts. £20 on the membership fee will be the best £20 you will ever spend on your car. Don't bother with the HKS filter, it won't make you go any faster and it may make it slower it just looks pretty for the chavs. Spend the money on a FMIC and boost controller or get your ECU flashed, that will make a world of difference. Good luck.
    I been reading a lot on here and its a great place for info on those VR4

Name
    nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Those brakes will fit a 99 on VR4. There is lots of useful information here that you can often find with a search.
    I have been reading and its great place for the VR4 and I am between those brembo and those Carbotech XP-8 pads

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Standard brakes with Carbotech pads make a great combination.

I've just ordered my 3rd set of XP-8 pads for mine (I thought it was my 4th set, but not according to their system!)

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    22-11-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

I am very happy with stock calipers, stock disks, Ferodo DS3000 front and DS2500 back. Top it off with Motul RBF 660 brake fluid and you are set for heavy braking, and track days too.

Carbotech XP8 pads are not competitively priced to use mild language. A set of XP8's is 300 pounds, twice the price of my Ferodo setup. A track ready XP10 front, XP8 rear set is even more - 350.
    The more you know, the faster you can go. And I still don't know enough.

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    10-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

I couldn't handle the squeal of the xp8's bit then I don't drive my car properly lol

My mushroom filter is secured with a piece of Mdf inbetween the map and the filter lol, it's never caused a problem, and I can't say I noticed any difference in performance, so it is just aesthetic. (I needed to put it in as my hinges were in the way of the airbag)

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    22-11-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

DS3000's squeal only when you brake like a girl When used properly - no squeals.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

A lot depends on how you drive really, standard brakes with uprated pads are good. But if you want real braking confidence? Brembos are the only way to go, putting decent brake fluid in makes a huge difference to imo.

Name
    nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

thx to confused for the info with brakeparts and they weren't far so got myself full kit and sorted out the F/B calipers and also got some xp8 to try out
    will let you know how they are soon.

I did use the DS for few years and yeh they make noise when use easy but before that I was on those red stuff lol.

Name
    nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

hey guys..hows everyone?

been working oversea pass few months and now back to the really great UK weather..WTF lol.

took the car out for a drive/wash and lucky I was going to wash then do the drive..my back brake has seized up making the a lot of heat on the wheel so took it home got it jack up to have a look..the slider pins has rusted so bad its not even moving and I worry about snapping the 13mm bolt if I force it off..it took few hours of wd40 then abit of heat and it come out so I rang brakeparts up and they say they don't have the back slider pins..anyone knows where I can get some?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkei View Post
    hey guys..hows everyone?

been working oversea pass few months and now back to the really great UK weather..WTF lol.

took the car out for a drive/wash and lucky I was going to wash then do the drive..my back brake has seized up making the a lot of heat on the wheel so took it home got it jack up to have a look..the slider pins has rusted so bad its not even moving and I worry about snapping the 13mm bolt if I force it off..it took few hours of wd40 then abit of heat and it come out so I rang brakeparts up and they say they don't have the back slider pins..anyone knows where I can get some?
    mitsi dealer or ebay for the bolts.

the bolts should not have gone rusty really, they should covered in grease so they can't rust and have a the bellows rubber seal expanding gattor over any of the bolt that would have been exposed by the movenet of the calliper. the bellows/gattor seal goes between the caliper and the mounting bracket and covers the bolt.

the bolts require red rubber grease for the bolt with the rubber slide seal (top bolt i think).
    i use copper grease for the other bolt with no slide seal (bottom bolt i think).

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Copper grease can go cloggy. I use high temp red grease on both pins.
    You could try viamoto for the pins? I think camskill used to do them before they closed their parts department. They are the same as other cars including the evo 4 and some outlanders.

Name
    nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

yeh i know what ya saying dave cuz the front was same but they come out like they should and those back one was not coming out without some help from the heat gun.

once they were out..the pin was in real bad shape and the rubber thing was in bits also no grease inside or anywere lol.

i will go dealer and get some if do sell..are the 2.5 N/A have same back brake as the VR4? so i know what to ask for when i am there.

Name
    nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

hey nick..thx for that m8.

i will pop down and get some tomorrow

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Some N/A models have the same caliper but with a different mounting and smaller disc. A dealer will be able to get the part number using your chassis number.

Name
    nikkei
    Last Online
    24-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4

rang dealer up and got them but was abit shock at the price lol.

4 slider bolts £54
    2 rubber seal kit £85
    set of rear pad £40

since the car was jack up I thought I check the suspension and it look like those are on way out too so was thinking should I get some coil overs but I am worry of the hard ride they give.

what do you guys do? coil overs or just use factory stuff?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

No avoid coilovers unless you really need that quality/adjustability -you can get replacement stuff of better quality than std without expense of coilovers...

And just to say my bit again in a thread about brakes, you do NOT need Brembos to have confidence in your brakes even if you are a hard-charging driver - choose right pad with decent discs and you will be ok - have decent brake fluid but despite some views, it does not improve brakes i.e. the stopping capability.

Get Brembos for 'the look' and you need bigger wheels and bigger tyres with all the consequent expense....

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

I should have plenty slider bolts if you need
    Ask a simple question, never receive an answer these days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast