Aaron
    Last Online
    16-01-2016
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Lancer coupe

Fwd 6a13tt

I noticed earlier that Zentac managed to maintain 500hp+ In a single turbo 6A13TT toting FWD FTO. I just can't seem to find any information regarding what he did in order to keep it FWD. literally everyone I know making great figures has converted to Evo spec AWD or destroyed their Trans.

If anybody has remained FWD in a 6A13 swapped mitsu, I'm really interested in seeing what you used and how you went about it. From what I've seen a couple people have destroyed a serious number of parts but nothing that has solidly supported 400hp+ in a FWD setup.

Any info is appreciated, even a link to a 500pg build thread with the info buried somewhere inside, believe me I will read it if I think it's gonna save me heartache in the long run.

If this is in the wrong place (as its not VR4 related, just 6A13TT related), please advise and I will move it to the correct place.

Cheers mechs n techs 👍🏼

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I think he was using a standard n/a 8g Galant FWD gearbox.

And getting through them like they're sweets!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

I've got a VR2 as we label them: originally a V6 N/A 2.5L Galant (1999) with the VR4 engine in it. The mated gearbox is the FWD 2.5L N/A V6 gearbox which itself copes quite well considering it handles almost twice the power. In my 9 years of ownership the gearbox itself has had 1 major bearing and some synchro-mesh redone to it and a month ago I replaced the complete gearbox for a brand new one as I knackered one of the diff bearings. That gearbox has endured 300.000km with most of it's life being abused by the 6A13TT power

One thing that is a big warning/concern/advise though is the clutch disc & pressure plate. I'm currently using an ACT combo but I've got a ClutchMasters set waiting as spare when the ACT set gives up. The original Mitsubishi clutch/plate can't cope with the power, they will be gone in 60 seconds (okay, maybe a bit more, but practically unusable). I've been swapping clutches almost once ever 2 years on average, maybe more actually as the initial 2 ACT sets got faulty rather quick (pressure plate 'fingers' broke off due to wrong material used by ACT, this last one is on for several years without issues. knock on wood).

That said: using the clutch will get you a trained left leg

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Richard certainly did get through a lot of gearboxes! I think he might have had a dog box built for it in the end?

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    16-01-2016
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Lancer coupe

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies, great info ����

I had an inkling that he might've been using a FWD Galant box, good to see someone else thinking along the same lines.
    If I have to have a dog box made up, I fear it'd probably be worth my while going AWD for the cost instead.

Thanks guys, and happy new year. Hope you get that new build started and Santa brought all the parts you were waiting for.
    - Aaron

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Certainly at 300 bhp he was using FWD galant boxes. By over 600 bhp I think he was on a dog box. At some point he was destroying drive shafts regularly and at another point he was destroying one of the gears (2nd?) but I don't remember at which point all that happened.