Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

How unloved green duck become white swan

As promised to previous owner I open this thread to document history of 'green duck that become white swan'

Story so far, @<a href="http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/member.php?u=69380" target="_blank">Guigsy</a> want to get rid of his car as its fail mot and was stood for too long, under the tree, and become eyesore for neighbours. He listed it there and when I seen this ad let alone wheels and wind deflectors was a deal breaker to me and whatever left its a bonus. So I reserved it and paid same day, arrange collection over the weekend and here we are, car its in my garage waiting to be rebuilt.

I arrange few mates to come over upon car arrival to help me push it back in to garage, so flatbed came drop duck here and we come around to see whats what and here is what we see

20160925_154752 (Medium).jpg20160925_154756 (Medium).jpg20160925_154801 (Medium).jpg20160925_154808 (Medium).jpg

So some say lets pop the bonet and see if it will start, as current batter is copletelly dead so plug in jump pack and this happen

https://youtu.be/T2mfYkJD078

It was a bit of a shock as its been stood for soo long it has cobwebs all over, so yeah advertised as 'non runner' actually run, great to be misled that way, for a change.

So i reverse it back to garage but then I realise that I will not stand and look at this green ****e all over and decide to do first run with clay bay, do a panel a day few passes with a clay bar should bring this pearl back to life, how wrong I was, All what you see on pictures below has been done by crappy little pressure washer quick pass with plain water

20160925_155831 (Medium).jpg20160925_155834 (Medium).jpg

So yes, car overall its in great condition, its not rotten much under, wheel arches and strut towers are good, it will definitely not be scraped. Paint job its unmarked without any dents as the black leather and whole interior is in good shape. Only bonnet needs respray so its great opportunity to fit FL bonnet and grill/light areas needs a bit of massage to line up properly again. Will post all pictures later as I was focused to wash it yesterday and didn't think about photos.

Plan is to change all fluids for a start, so it can be taken for test drive and then sort out MOT, change cam belt, and there's is the biggest challenge, convince my Mrs that its perfect car for her, get rid of her soulless mazda and keep this instead. Cant get better than have His and Hers Leggys, black/white, auto/man to chose from every day, can it?

Will keep this thread running and share another chapters with this, so far great, story.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Damn you Adam!

The fact that you are saying that it's not rotten is just another twist of the dagger after not writing up my response in the thread quickly enough (I was on the phone to my dad within 2 minutes of it being posted up, but for someone who is difficult to talk to, he can half go on sometimes - his wittering on meant I couldn't get back on the browser to post in the thread!!)

I was planning to use this to re-shell my running gear if the running gear in this ended up not being brilliant. However - as it looks like it's all good, it's good that it'll end up back on the road (and, it probably means now I'll have to fix mine up, rather than potentially get rid of it, which I might have done if I had re-shelled - so maybe you getting this might actually has keep 2 cars on the road in the long run?)

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Reminds me of this
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Sorry Garry, i was read this and first though was, it must be really bad that some one wants so little money for it, and on second thoughts i say ok i need clips for my passenger rear doors wind deflectors and think that if only wheels are good then its worth hassle of bringing it over, but as it's turn around its in really decent nick so it will be carrying on happy life in my family.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Good luck with the MOT Adam. And even more luck convincing the Mrs, to have his and hers on the drive would be a pretty cool thing imo.

I look forward to your updates. It definitely is possible to polish a turd (your swan analogy much better).

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Cheers Olie, so far i cant find MOT fault.

Today have few spare hours and was itching all day to play with duck.

First of all, lest change oil, so my standard engine service pack containing AMSoil finest, Forte engine flush new crush washer and filter has been installed

20160926_172834 (Medium).jpg
    20160926_180621 (Medium).jpg
    20160926_181429 (Medium).jpg

This is whats been in engine running 30 minutes with Forte flush

20160926_181702 (Medium).jpg

but no nasty surprises like bearing ect here

20160926_182310 (Medium).jpg

After filling with fresh oil I go out to have a quick run around the block to see how its rolling, and surprise surprise, very smooth and quiet, pulling as vr4 should stopping too, AYC red light comes on but it was mentioned in ad that its not working, so have a good chance to refurbish pump over winter probably.

Back to the garage, lift front up and take wheels off to see what condition shocks, arms, links and brakes are b4 I order new parts. Brakes have still plenty of life left

20160926_184349 (Medium).jpg

pistons on both sides move freely as sliding pins

20160926_184417 (Medium).jpg

tyres at the front have lots of tread left and are just made in 2013, alloys could do with refurbish but I didnt decide yet which set I will be using, one of the options are to source COTY wheels, some how (any one have some kicking about?) and keep car as it was intended from factory 100% COTY or leave evo on, not know yet.

Straight arms looks like has been recalled already as they have 22mm nuts, not 19mm as prerecall pfl have, all arms are solid so nothing to do here

20160926_193134 (Medium).jpg

eventually I found fault with it, someone use standard wheel nuts on evo wheels, so it has been replaced with correct ones

20160926_193352 (Medium).jpg
    20160926_193456 (Medium).jpg

In the main time, I left completely dead battery on charge last night, today car start without jump pack few times and seems like it will be fine, battery itself is from 2014 so fingers crossed

20160926_172856 (Medium).jpg
    20160926_172905 (Medium).jpg

car charge battery fine too, this is on running

20160926_173358 (Medium).jpg

I love this car more and more and still cant get my head around how its landed in my hands.

TBC

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Sorry for rubbing more salt in your wounds mate, just tell me if you want me to stop showing off

btw did you notice almost new downpipes? actually its tubs back

ach sorry again

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Nah, don't stop posting updates on my account!

However - if I need any bits for my Legnum if/when I fix it up, you'd just best be hand delivering them, gift wrapped, on a silver platter, wearing your finest clothes!!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Nah, don't stop posting updates on my account!

However - if I need any bits for my Legnum if/when I fix it up, you'd just best be hand delivering them, gift wrapped, on a silver platter, wearing your finest clothes!!
    seriously, if you need anything just shout out, I have a piles of bits and will be more than happy to donate them to you if needed.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

looking good, it is excellent news the that the brakes are not seized and the slide pins are free moving.
    the ayc pump might just need an adjustable pressure switch to get the ayc working. a fluid change in the rear diff will probably be a good idea.

keep the updates coming.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Laura
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VW Golf

If the mrs doesnt want to part with her soul destroyer, ill take it off your hands
    What a find though, must be such joy to clean her all up and make her pretty again..

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

@Davezj I would rather try to rebuild pump as this switch not always do the trick (remember gibs issues?) and take away joy of rebuilding it, it still has to be diagnosed what's actually broken, it may be relay or something daft.
    @lhoust84 im afraid she almost convinced, it will cost me a lot as she told me that I will have to get rid of her mazda AND my xc90 and do up kitchen, now is ball on my side. I can offer you a very nice volvo, which is stupidly safe and have iso fix :-) or mazda 6, 2.5 so not average ass mover, with 170bhp and 6 gears its shift.

Yes joys of working on duck its massive as its get better and better daily. And still have few surprises hiding, will post them later on.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by adaxo View Post
    @Davezj I would rather try to rebuild pump as this switch not always do the trick (remember gibs issues?) and take away joy of rebuilding it, it still has to be diagnosed what's actually broken, it may be relay or something daft.
    I would try the relay first and then the pressure switch. If it is only a bar or two down on where it should be, then I would not bother with a pump refub. I know you are looking forward to pulling an ayc pump apart but why take the risk if it is not necessary..

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Theres just short videos of what AMSoil did to this car

That how it was run on cold start

https://youtu.be/Bvhoq5vkF3c

This is a cold start after oil change today morning

https://youtu.be/LDlCJ0xFW0Y

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

that has made a big difference. a couple more changes over the next year or so and it will be silky smooth.

Name
    Brodie
    Last Online
    16-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 Legnum

what are these cars worth to you guys?..in new zealand we can get these for $2000

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    02-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

In UK you can get them for £600 but it probably needs triple of that spending on it, if not rotten to death or can pay 5k for fresh low mileage import, there's not much in between.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Where from?
    Are you importing from japan or is it buy in NZ.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Wow... Adam you are one lucky guy. The green that was on that Legnum is now on me, pure envy!

Keep the updates coming, wonderful to see this COTY being brought back to on the road!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast