Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

AYC diff repairs

Both my Legnums have oil leaks from the AYC diff. There is currently no fault with their operation but eventually aside from the mess left on the concrete there will be some damage done If I don't get them repaired.
    I'm in Hamilton: do any of you NZ'ers who come here have any suggestions of someone who would be competent to repair the seal between the two halves of the housing which is where the leaks are and then to refill with the correct fluids and bleed properly? I have no mechanical workshop facilities so would have to get the cars one at a time to the mechanic's workshop so preferably within 100km or so from me.
    Thanks.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

If they were mine, I would be removing the AYC diff's and putting in a open diff with axles from the Legnum ST-R (Or any 4wd non turbo Galant/Legnum) or diff from 4wd Diamante/Manga what has a factory LSD diff,
    But to repair them, Probably taking them to Mitsubishi in Hamilton is your best option or going to see Bill from Ralliart who is in Pukekohe.
    1997 PFL Legnum VR-4 "Super Replica", White, Manual
    2001 FL Galant VR-4, Type V, Black, Manual

Past Owned
    1997 PFL Legnum ST-R, Pearl White, Tiptronic
    1998 PFL Legnum Super VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1998 PFL Legnum Super VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1999 FL Legnum VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought Inghams would have been OK with these as I thought they would probably only know the NZ models. I will ask them, otherwise I'll contact Bill. I'd like to keep these cars original.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Is it definitely that seal? Usually it is a shafts seal, the oil runs down to the bottom though so it drips off the seal you mention.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I have also seen oil pushed out of the breath hole in the top of the diff. Again this runs down the diff case and it looks like the diff seal is leaking.
    Best thing to do is clean the diff casing with carb cleaner., then go for a drive and recheck the diff to see where the leak is actually coming from.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Bye for Now!

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

At least the green car is leaking at the join, there's even bits of the original silicone (I think it is silicone they used) hanging out from between the halves. I haven't looked under the blue car yet, it's just leaving an oil spill. Maybe next weekend I'll get time to look and see where exactly that one is leaking from, if I can get this damned washing machine going that I'm trying to fix for my housemate's daughter!
    Thanks for the replies so far: I've filled in the web inquiry form for Ralliart so I'll see what they come back with if they answer (most times those web forms go nowhere: I wish businesses would put real email addresses on their websites as email is how so much business is done nowadays)

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

Bill always replys, Bill email address is bill@teamralliart.co.nz

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The silicon gasket is quite often messy and pushed out from the joint. I have still never seen one of them fail. I'm not saying yours hasn't, but I'd be properly suprised if both have.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    01-01-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Thanks for the email link as I filled in that form last Friday night, it's now Wednesday night with no response: as I said I have no faith in those web reply forms. I'll look on the weekend and see if the blue car's diff is leaking at the silicone, I know the green one is.
    The blue car had a narrow escape today as a visitor came to my house using her friend's car with which she obviously wasn't too familiar. She failed to put the car into 'park' or apply the handbrake with the result it rolled back down my driveway, JUST missed the blue car and took out part of the fence between my and my neighbour's sections. Part of the fence landed on the neighbour's wife's car below causing significant paintwork damage but fortunately no apparent denting although we won't know for sure until she's taken it for a quote for repairs.
    Now we've got to sort out whose insurance covers which of the damages, it isn't yet known if the car the visitor came in carries any insurance at all so it may all be a charge on me.