Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

LPG guru help please :-)

Need to pick ya brains as struggling to find an answer elsewhere & know there's a few of you on here

Basically, can I use water / meth injection on my lpg without issues? My car is prone to drop valve seats & f**k the engine but I didn't find out until after I had converted mine. Is the engine even gets close to overheating, the metals expand drop the seat into the engine, screwing rather a lot. There is a fix but it's 20 hours labour & cant find anyone to even quote it. As lpg runs egt higher than petrol, I'm guessing I'm at higher risk so this would be a relatively straight forward fix IF it will happily run on it

Car is a 5.7 hemi N/A so meth / water is purely to drop temperatures to prevent the problem rather than to improve performance like on turbo / supercharged

Ta muchly
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

I personally can't see the reason why you shouldn't use water/meth injection with lpg.
    Regarding higher egt on lpg, it's only a myth. Theoreticaly lpg burns hotter than petrol (laboratory), but in real life with lpg system on the car, egt is the same on the car.
    I had egt fitted to my legnum and tested egt on petrol and lpg just for comparison and there was no difference at idle, mid load, high load and max rpm.
    There is thread somwhere on the club where I posted all the data from this test.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Cool, thanks for the info. I've connected up the factory programming tools to it and the figures are showing 8 deg hotter on gas on average which isn't enough to worry about normally but these are so common to go, I would rather play it safe. Might give the water a go as a decent kit is only £200 - £400 so certainly cheaper than a rebuild

Thanks again

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

I tracked my Legnum with 1.2bar of boost and Amsoil on lpg with quite high AFR and never had any problems with the engine. I bet it's still going strong.
    What AFRs did you have on petrol and lpg at high boost when comparing egt on petrol and lpg?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

I don't have boost as current car is NA. If it was a later model, I wouldn't be bothered as Chrysler upgraded the metal used for the valve seats but my year is prone to fail. I will try to plug the car in over the weekend and get some exact figures. I got bored the other day & ripped the whole front end of the car off for some random projects so not currently drivable lol

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Oh I forgot that you not talking about vr4.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Ha ha sorry, i'm a traitor these days

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i to would have thought it would be perfectly safe to run water methanol on an LPG car.

but if you are just wanting to cool the cylinder then why not just inject water and adjust the LPG ecu to compensate with a bit extra gas.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Cool cheers peeps. Yeah that's what I was thinking Dave, I just don't know too much about these. I only had it converted because my missus moved further away but we split up before it was even finished being converted Will send her the bill for the injection kit

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i think some of the LPG ecus will allow you to run on LPG and petrol at the same time or to change back to petrol under certain conditions eg rpm/load or a temperature measurement to compensate for when the LPG system can not keep up with the demand for fuel. so you might be able to set the lpg ecu to allow the petrol injectors to fire as well or instead of the gas injectors above a certain RPM/load.

it would be as fuel efficient but it would give a cooling effect if you fired the petrol injectors. but it all depends on what LPG system you have fitted.