Gib
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Nurburgring Roadtrip Advice

Evening chaps. I'm planning to head to the 'Ring in April with some mates. It's a bucketlist type trip and I'll be taking my Evo X. The other cars in the convoy are a Impreza STi and a Lotus Elise SC. None of us have ever been before so it should be interesting!

The trip will be a mix of sightseeing and track action. So far the itinerary looks like this -

Monday - Leeds-Dunkirk (10AM) - Lille - Reims
    Tuesday - Nurburgring - GP track is open so hopefully that and an evening Ring session
    Wednesday - Sightseeing during the day- Nurburgring evening session
    Thursday - More sightseeing in the day - Nurburgring evening session - Cologne
    Friday - Cologne-Brussels
    Saturday - Brussels-Bruges
    Sunday - Bruges - Dunkirk (2PM) - Leeds

Any suggestions of things to add or amend to the list? Also open to any suggestions for must try driving roads along the way.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

B258 to the Ring if possible - enjoyable drive...

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

What date are you going,,,?

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Monday 17th April to Sunday 23rd April

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Drive to Cochem on the Moselle and the town is nice place - food, drink and other stuff...

Name
    Rob
    Last Online
    23-07-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    Bravo Sport 150

May advice if your going in April would be if its wet go and visit the Nurburgring museum as there are some great cars in there. If your also traveling in a convoy maybe worth investing in some cheap 2 way hand held radios. Oh yes and if your going on the ring id get some insurance as when we went there were a few spills on the track one guy rolled his honda crx over the barrier and it wasnt cheap with recovery and damage etc. Enjoy though its an fantastic part of Germany to go and the locals are great.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The insurance aspect of driving on the Ring is an interesting one for British drivers. Many UK policies now specifically exclude the Ring from the insurance. This is possibly thin ice for them, as it is a public toll road (when open), subject to German traffic law, so it is aruguable that they cannot pick specific roads to suit them. And although there have been no test cases yet (AFAIK), it is unlikely that they would be able to avoid third party liabilities. However, they would probably then claim it from you, for breaking the terms of your insurance policy. Expensive routes wherever it then went.

I have always driven there under the belief that I have sufficient cover for legal purposes only, and that I would probably be liable for any damage caused to my own vehicle, other cars and/or roadside/track furniture. I have investigated getting specific insurance for driving there before, but the cost was ridiculous, along with a similarly daft excess figure (something like £5k excess).

So you have to balance your options carefully.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I was talking to someone I met at the Old Skool Ford Drag Championship last year, who also has a Citroen AX (with a very exhaust).

He took this over to the ring, and did a lap, and was then banned because he was recorded at a VERY high decibel level! (He's been there previously, with other cars, so it wasn't his first time).

Anyway - the point is that, after his car was banned, he hired one of the Suzuki Swift's that they have available over there. This is specifically set up for the Ring - decent suspension, brakes, cage, seats, etc, and you can hire it either with basic insurance, or with "all-in" insurance. This covers absolutely everything, should you have an accident. Recovery costs, repairs, damage to other vehicles, the works. You basically walk away without paying any extra.

Yes - it's not taking your own car around, but the financial risk to yourself is greatly reduced - and he said he actually had more fun in the Suzuki than he did in any of his own cars - when you're in your own car you have a huge burden hanging over you - thinking that if anything should go wrong (either your own fault or not), you could end up destroying your car, not having adequate insurance cover to pay for it, plus the huge bill that could come from needing to repair the track, and the lost revenue whilst it's closed.

It did end up costing him more for hiring the Suzuki than it would have done driving his own car around, but he enjoyed the experience much more, knowing that there wasn't that financial risk hanging over his head.

Just offering it up as an alternative that you might not be aware of.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    I was talking to someone I met at the Old Skool Ford Drag Championship last year, who also has a Citroen AX (with a very exhaust).

He took this over to the ring, and did a lap, and was then banned because he was recorded at a VERY high decibel level! (He's been there previously, with other cars, so it wasn't his first time).

Anyway - the point is that, after his car was banned, he hired one of the Suzuki Swift's that they have available over there. This is specifically set up for the Ring - decent suspension, brakes, cage, seats, etc, and you can hire it either with basic insurance, or with "all-in" insurance. This covers absolutely everything, should you have an accident. Recovery costs, repairs, damage to other vehicles, the works. You basically walk away without paying any extra.

Yes - it's not taking your own car around, but the financial risk to yourself is greatly reduced - and he said he actually had more fun in the Suzuki than he did in any of his own cars - when you're in your own car you have a huge burden hanging over you - thinking that if anything should go wrong (either your own fault or not), you could end up destroying your car, not having adequate insurance cover to pay for it, plus the huge bill that could come from needing to repair the track, and the lost revenue whilst it's closed.

It did end up costing him more for hiring the Suzuki than it would have done driving his own car around, but he enjoyed the experience much more, knowing that there wasn't that financial risk hanging over his head.

Just offering it up as an alternative that you might not be aware of.
    When I last looked, all of the Rent-4-Ring (or equivalent) rentals also had a massive excess (like €10k!) which you could reduce, but still in the 1000s! Still, I suppose at least you know what your ultimate limit is.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

In summary at the Ring though, I would say, don't get the red mist, obey the rules and just have fun.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    When I last looked, all of the Rent-4-Ring (or equivalent) rentals also had a massive excess (like €10k!) which you could reduce, but still in the 1000s! Still, I suppose at least you know what your ultimate limit is.
    Ah, that might have been the case - it was about 5 months ago that I had this conversation with him!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    04-08-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '96 Galant VR-4

Drive on the wrong side of the road. Can't go wrong. Haha.

Seriously tho, take it easy and as fast as you think you are there are a lot faster people on that track, especialy the locals. I once got passed by a diesel vw caddy van mid corner. Not my proudest moment but the local boys and girls can get any machinery round there at insane speeds.

Oooh and mirrors mirrors mirrors. A large amount of incidents are caused by people not checking their mirrors enough and turning in infront of a faster car.
    '96 Galant VR4 manual
    Uprated intercooler
    Siebon Carbon bonnet
    Carbon roof
    Custom 3" straight through Exhaust
    Tein Super Wagon coilovers
    BBS alloys
    Mintex 1155's
    Hell braided break hoses
    Gizzmo IBC
    DE-restricted
    Dump vlv.
    Td04's
    Custom exhaust manifolds
    Custom 2.5 - 3" downpipes
    Custom intake pipework
    Twin filter set-up
    Vipec ECU
    SARD FPR
    RC Racing 550cc injectors
    Modified fuel rail
    HRC HR342 fuel pump (340lph)
    Relocated battery
    A/C removed
    Slim push fans x2

'97 Legnum vr4
    Evo Enki's
    Custom cat back exhaust
    HKS mushroom filter
    De-restricted
    Brembo's on front
    Now breaking for spares

More to come, eventually.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Definitely wise words there!

Mirrors, oh yes!!

One other thing, have good recovery in place. ADAC is ideal, as it covers Europe, and the Ring is not excluded (in fact, I think they encourage it lol). I have an ADAC joint policy with covers everything - recovery, onward journey, home start, can be used in the UK like a normal UK recovery service, but it only cost about £100 for the year. For UK/European breakdown cover all year, for both of us. A veritable bargain!

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Cheers for the replies. Planning sort out insurance and ADAC before we go. Sorted out some walkie talkies last week so it's more Top Gear style! Not planning to set any lap records. I'll be staying within my limits!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I was told not to time anything. Just enjoy it, don't try to go balls out. Keep your eyes open is awesome advice too. Don't judge the speed of a car by its appearance!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Oh, someone once told me to watch lots of ring crash videos before the trip. It puts an extra layer of caution in you!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    26-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Oh, someone once told me to watch lots of ring crash videos before the trip. It puts an extra layer of caution in you!
    Sorry! But that still 'rings' true!
    Still here somewhere........