Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
    A warning to others:
    I got myself a cable appearing visually identical, but discovered after trying to connect it that the one you need *must* have an FTDI usb-serial chip on it. the one i got had a different pcb inside to what Confused shows, and will not work (unless anyone has any advice) the easiest clue i can see is that Confused's has a clear LED, mine was solid red.

the hunt continues
    Mine came with a RED LED and is using a WCH CH340T USB to Serial chip [data-sheet] which I'm pretty sure if I install the drivers for [link], will work pretty much exactly the same as the FTDI chip based ones

Here's a photo for reference

IMG_20190428_162053.jpg

IMG_20190428_162107.jpg

Also, following on from Dave's initial post (*excellent post by the way Dave) is there an alternative PIN on the adapter that can be used to ground Pin #1, rather than Pin #4, as on my adapter Pin #4 is tucked underneath the daughter board and looks rather fidly to get to?

Also - just because I'm interested - what mode does grounding pin #1 on the ECU adapter do to the ECU? I've been reading that the VAG protocol is also used by Fiat / Seat in an expanded way so adapters work there too but have even more functionality on different pins for MES [link]

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Alex,

99.9% wont work. I think that is the exact chip mine had.
    Best as I can tell Evoscan is looking for the FTDI chip! not for a serial interface but the actual FTDI chip - probably for specific configuration of the interface to the car.
    Pin 1-4 is nothing to-do with vagcom, it sets the interface on our cars (MUTII) into debug mode. The FTDI vagcom cables just happen to be (physically) the same, or close enough, as the cable that evoscan wants once 1-4 are shorted.

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
    Hi Alex,

99.9% wont work. I think that is the exact chip mine had.
    Best as I can tell Evoscan is looking for the FTDI chip! not for a serial interface but the actual FTDI chip - probably for specific configuration of the interface to the car.
    Finally had a chance to look at this this weekend and yes you are absolutely correct - unless it has the FTDI chip then there is no way Evoscan will talk to it as it seems to use that driver directly, rather than talking to a general USB -> Serial conversion device

Out of interest a couple of observations from this weekend that it would be great to get feedback form anyone else who has this working:

1. The lead that seems to work has a clear LED rather than the RED led and only lights up when it is connected to the cars not-quite-OBDII port - the red LED ones seem to light up when they get a USB connection

2. When I did connect the lead to the not-quite-ODBII port, then the dashboard lights did a random flashing between the Turbo light, and a few others - is that correct or is my lead doing something strange?

3. Evoscan when you select the first menu (Logging -> Select USB Device) doesn't actually bring up any menu as I was expecting - I guess it just picks the FTDI device if it finds one

4. It says it is logging at 5kbps which sounds pretty slow but is that normal??

Any screen grabs of your setup much appreciated and I can share the same

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, at slow road speeds, your dash will flash like a Christmas tree! It stops when you get to about 10mph(ish). I'm also pretty sure it is slower at logging than the OpenPort cable.

It's been a while since I last hooked up a working cable, so can't assist with the other points I'm afraid! However, it does sound like you've managed to get it successfully working!

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Yes, at slow road speeds, your dash will flash like a Christmas tree! It stops when you get to about 10mph(ish). I'm also pretty sure it is slower at logging than the OpenPort cable.

It's been a while since I last hooked up a working cable, so can't assist with the other points I'm afraid! However, it does sound like you've managed to get it successfully working!
    Great - that's good to know and especially the feedback about all the dash lights working - the thread doesn't mention that anywhere and it makes you a bit nervous if you're not expecting it!!

Thanks again

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

has anyone manage to sort this with the cable that has a red led ? mine has a red led and doesn't work either, I cant seem to find one online that has a clear led, so im struggling, help please

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by glyn View Post
    has anyone manage to sort this with the cable that has a red led ? mine has a red led and doesn't work either, I cant seem to find one online that has a clear led, so im struggling, help please
    The key here is the chipset of the USB driver being by FTDI as this driver is hardcoded into Evoscan so it can't talk to leads with other chipset unluckily

The way to find the right one is to search for FTDI in the OBD-II diagnostic cable search on eBay or similar and they turn up

Here's a quick example of one that _looks_ correct for sale today

OBD2 FTDI Diagnostics Lead

Name
    glyn
    Last Online
    14-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

brill, ive ordered one, fingers crossed this will have the right chip ! thanks for your help

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    Other

I found a VAG-KKL USB cable which physically has an EFTDI chip on it, but I also noticed it has pins 4 and 5 soldered together. Would it become an issue when I solder a wire from pin 1 to 4, essentially bridging pins 1 4 and 5 together? Also does anybody have the install files for EvoScan 2.7?

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Pin 5 is also ground, so it should be fine.

Once you've purchased EvoScan, you can go to the Downloads page (once you've logged in with your username and password), and you will find a link to 2.7.0090 FINAL

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by glyn View Post
    brill, ive ordered one, fingers crossed this will have the right chip ! thanks for your help
    Just back with my car again after lockdown and now have time to rig up my ODB-II lead again so wondered how everyone got on with their search for a compatible lead?

From checking on eBay, it looks like all FTDI serial <-> USB powered leads that should be compatible with EvoScan use a FT232BM chip as per this datasheet

If you search on eBay for that chipset with ODBII or for "subaru-forester-usb-obd2-ii-ftdi-kkl-diagnostic-lead-works-with-freessm" as the same chipset lead appears to be needed for FreeSSM for Subarus then a number of leads turn up for about £15 such as this one

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Pin 5 is also ground, so it should be fine.

Once you've purchased EvoScan, you can go to the Downloads page (once you've logged in with your username and password), and you will find a link to 2.7.0090 FINAL
    Hey @Confused I think I've read the answer to this somewhere but can we use EvoScan v2.9.0100 with these leads?

It says it includes drivers for "for FTDICOM / Openport 1.3D" so it _sounds_ like it might work

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I don't think so.

2.9 doesn't add anything extra useful for us, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the modified VAG-COM cables.

To be safe, stick with 2.7!

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

To be safe, stick with 2.7!
    Will do and thanks for clarifying

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Hi guys, could you let me know if you think I have the correct cable. The circuit board looks different to the one posted on hereIMG_20220323_133609_638.jpgIMG_20220323_133558_540.jpg
    Thanks.

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by CHESHIRECAT View Post
    Hi guys, could you let me know if you think I have the correct cable. The circuit board looks different to the one posted on hereIMG_20220323_133609_638.jpgIMG_20220323_133558_540.jpg
    Thanks.
    That should work fine - the key is in the Serial -> USB chip used and this needing to be a FTDI 232 based chip as that is the drivers that EvoScan has built in compatibility with

Looking at a zoom of your first picture you can see your chip is an FTDI FT232RL so should be fine

Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 18.57.32.png

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    31-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Thanks, I couldn't even see that in front of me lol. What tit I am.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Will this wire work? I've bought a soldering iron and solder and all tonight, going to look very closely at the instructions when I come to solder it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165391568...cAAOSwQXpiNadF

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by howardalex View Post
    Will this wire work? I've bought a soldering iron and solder and all tonight, going to look very closely at the instructions when I come to solder it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165391568...cAAOSwQXpiNadF
    I cross referenced that lead based on the manufacturer code C44D47A6AF72 and from this resultant page it looks like it has a FT232BL chip so _should_ work fine

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    05-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant vr4

Fantastic, thank you! I'll get one ordered!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast