Last Online
    14-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 VR-4

Future VR-4 Owner - Still at V6

Hello community,

I come to you as humble owner of a 2001 V6 Galant.

I intend to gift it to my girlfriend once she gets her drivers license, but I'm not willing to give up owning a Galant - The eight generation Galant is, to me personally, the most beautiful and sexy car when it comes to looks out of the factory. I have a few gripes with it, and I absolutely want to get a VR-4 MK3 to deal with those.

To put it simply, the power the V6 has just does not live up to how aggressive it looks.
    That front looks like it's just going to devour you, but while it's not slow, it just does not live up to it's looks.

That is why I decided that I really, really want that VR-4.
    Since I crashed my Stagea (Poor thing... first day when it started freezing, I was one of 4 car accidents in the same part of town due to weather), I got me a cheap old mercedes van for transport needs, so I no longer need a wagon. I've wanted a VR-4 or Legnum from the start, but the Stagea just won out with more boot space. Now that it's dead, and I have my transport car, I can finally get that car I wanted from the start.

A sexy, aggressive, turbocharged supergalant, the VR-4 MK3.
    Now, I will need at least half a year if not longer to save up enough dosh to afford it.
    And I want to learn as much as I possibly can about this car, make good use of the time I need to save up for it.
    Learn of it's problems, what to look for when getting one, what to watch out for when considering an import, etc. etc. - I want to know all I can about this car before getting it.

That's why I signed up here.
    I'm no owner of a VR-4 yet, but I want to be one once I can afford it, and I want get a good one, not a wrecked, run down one. I also want to be a good owner, know how to maintain and repair it.
    I fully intent to keep it for as long as possible when I finally get it - Maybe for the rest of my life, depending on how long it'll live. It really is my dream car.

So, that's me, that's my story regarding the VR-4.
    I'm but an apprentice, but I'm eager to learn about this wonderful car.

Cheers,
    Elric

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There is lots of good reading on here, and it sounds like your English is more than capable of coping. There are a few of owners round Europe, including some in Germany, so I'm sure you can get help and advice relatively locally as well as on here. The import process might be your biggest hurdle.
    Some have been converted to left hand drive, so it is possible if you need to do it.
    As for choosing one, I would say come up with your perfect car, colour, transmission, interior etc and then be willing to settle for something close as they are rare. My perfect version would be a manual estate in Indigo Blue with Recaro interior and moonroof. If I remember correctly only two were ever made that met that spec!

Good luck in your search and enjoy your learning curve!

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    21-04-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom

Nick has the same idea, I think you will find, as many have on here, that importing an "un-molested" model from Japan is a very safe bet, more often than not they are very clean, rust free and lots of examples are low mileage. Just make sure to get it undersealed as soon as it enters the country.

Name
    Elric
    Last Online
    14-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 VR-4

Cheers lads, I do agree, language won't be a problem, unless I start to speak in slang gibberish. I'm a Brit living in Germany, it'd be more complicated if people started writing in German... no matter for how long I've lived her, I never managed to identify with the nation or language.

Bonus is that I can get cars in the UK without much of a hassle... have someone get it for me, fly over, drive back.
    I'm glad to hear imports from Japan seem to be the way to go. Thanks to the avid JDM scene here in Germany, that's the easiest way to get one over here.
    I'm a tad weary of Japan imports to be honest, since they don't like to keep a good service record, but everyone I spoke to so far has told me that's just something I'll have to deal with - And that the advantages outweigh that drawback.

Also, there's no way in sodding hell of me converting that beauty into a left-handy... the bonus about Japanese imports is that I get to sit on the right side of the bloody car!
    I feel more comfortable driving a right-handy. Being British (Or Chinese in Hong-Kong, or Australian, or....) does that to ye, I suppose. I didn't mind driving the Stagea here in Germany one bit, just need to be a tad more observant when switching lanes to the left, and that's it.

My dream VR-4 would be a burgundy red or gunmetal grey/black model with leather. No moonroof, nah. I wouldn't want to deal with sealing on that!
    I honestly don't care about transmission... 'course, manual is fun, but the fun stops when you've been stuck in a traffic jam for a whole hour. Automatic with tiptronic is kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion and experience, even if I lose the opportunity to "go as fast as possible" by mastering manual transmission. I'm too old to refuse any automatic car just because "It's not hardcore enough!".
    Last edited by Elric; 02-04-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The darkest silver is Hamilton Silver. It is still silver! There isn't a gunmetal although trigger mauve is close with a purple hue. Roanne Red is closest to burgundy.

There are good ones in the UK and bad ones in Japan. However on average fresh from Japan are cleaner.

Name
    Elric
    Last Online
    14-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    The darkest silver is Hamilton Silver. It is still silver! There isn't a gunmetal although trigger mauve is close with a purple hue. Roanne Red is closest to burgundy.

There are good ones in the UK and bad ones in Japan. However on average fresh from Japan are cleaner.
    Thank you for that bit of information, I checked those colours.
    I'd rather skip any silver and go for roanne red, with trigger mauve being a close second favourite.

Ye, definitely roanne red if possible. That red's just smooooth.

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    21-04-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom

Or you can do what I've done, cash permitting and have it sprayed in Infiniti Malbec Black, code GAC. Basically black, but in the sun has a deep pearlescent purple fleck. A lot of work and time consuming though. Pictures coming when I've finished it, just got the roof to do, and a polish. Such a wicked colour though!

I work in the trade so reaping the benefits it provides D

Name
    Elric
    Last Online
    14-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 VR-4

I'll be having a hard enough time getting the ~9000€ I need for a decent VR-4 including imports and getting it street legal here in Germany... no spare dosh left for painting it I'm afraid.
    But it's a decent idea for later on..

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to the club.

Auto's are far more available than manuals and the moonroof is nothing to worry about. I've personally never known one to leak.

The auto's drive very well and are quicker off the line, the gearbox is clever, learns your driving style and adjusts the gear changes to suit. They need good quality ATF as they can burn the oil by overheating if driven hard on track. A small transmission cooler is often recommended if you intend to do many track days.

The estate is quite a capable track car despite what you might think.

From 1998 they introduced a face lift model which has a different front bumper and more sculpted bonnet. The rear end was also updated. At that point they also introduced a Type-V (pre-face lift was a Type S) which doesn't have the active rear diff (AYC) or high-vis dash (sometimes referred to as the poverty spec!)

There were also 2 'specials', the Car of the Year (COTY) in 1997 which is pearl white with black leather interior and the Super VR4 which had red carpet, red steering wheel and gear lever. It also has a different bodykit to the standard pre-facelift car.

Good luck with your search.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Elric
    Last Online
    14-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 VR-4

Cheers mate. Not part of the real club yet, but hopefully that'll change sometime this year...

My V6 Galant has been the most reliable car I've owned so far, I'm mighty impressed by everything but the horsepower.
    I put it on track regardless, even the "standard" Galant is decent on it. For such a heavy car, it's suprisingly agile...

I have no doubts about the Legnum being a capable track car - My Stagea was good for that, and it was a bit bigger and heavier.
    It's just that I have no need for a wagon, I have a cheap van for my transport needs.
    I do plan to give my VR-4 basic upgrades though. Better coolers, better exhaust system. Not aiming for a huge gain of HP, I just want it to be in top shape.

I'm glad the Auto's are more available, that's what I'm aiming at. Manual is "hardcore" and all, but... I like chill daily driving. Comfort is nice.
    Ye, I'm aiming for a facelift. They look even more aggressive, and yes, I do like that, and I definitely want a Type S. The special editions aren't really that interesting to me, which is most likely good for my wallet, hah!

I've also decided that I -absolutely- want that cream leather interior. Colours, I won't be too picky, but I do want that leather interior!
    I'm not a fan of the moonroof due to personal taste, just don't feel that it looks good, leak or no leak.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for sales posts on here, and hope to be able to gather the budget required asap!

Cheers,
    Elric

Name
    Elric
    Last Online
    14-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 VR-4

About time... but I finally got mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	79239

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

That's a lovely looking example. congrats on your purchase

Stuart

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Very nice!

Name
    Bobby
    Last Online
    26-02-2024
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    2001 VR4 Galant

Congrats. The car looks lovely.

Name
    Elric
    Last Online
    14-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 VR-4

Cheers lads.

This is a dream come true.
    Every single time I take him out for a spin, I'm happy.

Most likely going to drive this car till one of us dies.
    Agility and cornering speeds are off the charts for such a heavy car!