Ed
    Last Online
    12-05-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum VR4

High Flow TD03s from Intense Turbochargers in Australia

Hi everyone. For many of you I am probably very new but I've been around a while. I recently had some Legnum TD03 turbos high-flowed. Properly high-flowed - in essence a complete redesign of the turbochargers whilst keeping the same housings (machined) and cartridge, for a 30% flow increase without impacting current boost threshold or lag characteristics negatively. The changes are:

• Custom billet compressor wheel. 5mm wider with smaller hub, for ~8mm increase.
    • Different blade design for the compressor wheel
    • Machined compressor housing to suit
    • Turbine wheel slightly larger by about ~1mm, but uses less blades for top-end boost and has a more efficient blade design
    • Thicker turbo shaft
    • Customised thrust plate to take higher boost with reliability
    • Porting of the wastegate for better flow through the gate

The design of these modifications is for +30% flow so we can hit ~260awkw on 98RON and ~300awkw on E85. The turbos will bolt straight on to existing manifolds and oil/coolant lines with no modifications required. To reiterate, there are no additional fabrication costs with these turbos.

Note, I have not yet had these dyno'd to see what we can *actually* achieve. That work is coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Intense turbochargers will rebuild a set of TD03s from for between $3,000 and $4,000 AUD, with payment required upfront.

In my case these turbos also use Turbosmart wastegate actuators set to 14psi, which is not included in the estimated price above.

IMG_1309.jpgIMG_1310.jpgIMG_1311.jpgIMG_1312.jpgIMG_1315.jpgIMG_1321.jpg

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Impressive work. I am very much looking forward to seeing before and after dynos! Good luck!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes it will be interesting to see the before and after dyno results. I would love to see you create a turbo modification that does what is claimed to, it sound great.
    Dyno results are key to making sales with a modification I like this. This is what people are actually interested in. Most people just want to see power and torque figure, referenced to to boost pressure and AFR.
    I am particularly sceptical when people claim to increase power and torque with a modification when there is no resulting data to back up the claim. So to make a good sales pitch you must have the before and after results. Just showing after results means nothing.
    With the inclusion of AFR and boost plots with the power and torque plots people can see that you are not using stupidly high boost or going very lean on the AFR to get the power increase, and claiming the run is done with safer boost and AFR figures.
    You must as Include what other modification you have on the car that differ from factory standard.
    I am just saying this so people like me don't have to put a negative spin on any claims that are made due to a lack of a propper comparison of before and after.
    I really hope you get the results you are looking for as a good bolt on turbo upgrade is what the 6a13tt engine has been screaming out for.
    Very best of luck with your project looking forward to the results.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Bye for Now!

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    25-01-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant vr4

i have highflow td03 turbos on mine witch i had done last year my before 273.1 atf/212.2 atw at 1 bar boost and my after was 276.1 atf /215.9 atw at 1.2 bar boost .i know its not much diffrence but you get the power a lot sooner. ill let the charts show how much better the car pulls .other mods are filter ,leads,decat with 3inch pipe ,highflow downpipes .hks boost controller ,welbro 255l fuel pump r1.jpg r2.jpg
    Last edited by Humpty's Revenge; 10-04-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    09-01-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

your on 200 hp 250 rpm sooner (3500 to 3250) with the high flow turbos and extra .2 Bar of boost.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I reckon there's more power to be had out of Paul's car. Just need more time to tune it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Want your car tuning? Here's my pricing
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Ed
    Last Online
    12-05-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Turbos are fitted and dyno results are in.

The results are 225awkw on a mainline chassis dyno at 17.5psi. 229awkw if you remove the smoothing. Heaps more boost capability left in the turbos, much more top end even on stock cams. On this old stock motor we stopped here, and will throw boost at it on the forged motor with the reground cams. Could you get 240+awkw with these on stock cams? Yes, but it would be a lot of dancing around between boost and timing to manage knock. You'd probably pull timing after the big dyno run for some reliability.

On 98 RON these turbos will easily push 250awkw with cams. We pulled a degree of timing out after the 225awkw run, as my motor has weird inconsistent knock (which it had long before these turbos) and my tuner is 1,000km from my house and I needed to drive home.

The first image shows my dyno graph compared to a tuned VR4 with stock turbos. The image with the 225awkw figure is my car in the red line and green line, and a VR4 with a big single turbo in purple.
    As you can see, the Intense turbos lose some power down low but absolutely run away at the top end and will pull to redline. The reason for the difference in power down low is the turbine wheel redesign. No choking up top, but the tradeoff is that lreduction in lower down power.

overlay dyno.jpgIMG_2120.jpg

The car does not feel laggy. It's a very different car to drive though - rather than spin through the gears to ride the torque hump as with stock turbos you just downshift and rev the tits off it. Transient boost response feels, if anything, as good as or better than stock.
    Last edited by Kaldek; 22-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Even if it's not the target you were aiming for on 98 RON, 300 HP at the wheels is mighty impressive

What other mods are there to support this?

Name
    Ed
    Last Online
    12-05-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Even if it's not the target you were aiming for on 98 RON, 300 HP at the wheels is mighty impressive

What other mods are there to support this?
    To clarify the target was 260awkw *with cams* on 98. 250awkw has been seen on 98 with a big single but with heaps of lag (as the graph above shows). We will get the 250-260awkw with the new motor and regrind cams.

Mods to the car right now are:
    • Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    • Custom 2.5" downpipes
    • 3" exhaust from downpipes back (custom cat section, followed by Fujitsobo Super R)
    • VK22 spark plugs
    • HDI GT2 intercooler
    • Bigger injectors
    Last edited by Kaldek; 22-04-2017 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to list injectors

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver PFL VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldek View Post
    To clarify the target was 260awkw *with cams* on 98. 250awkw has been seen on 98 with a big single but with heaps of lag (as the graph above shows). We will get the 250-260awkw with the new motor and regrind cams.

Mods to the car right now are:
    • Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    • Custom 2.5" downpipes
    • 3" exhaust from downpipes back (custom cat section, followed by Fujitsobo Super R)
    • VK22 spark plugs
    • HDI GT2 intercooler
    Thanks for sharing that. It confirmed my gut feeling.

300 hp at the wheels, or about 360-370 hp at the fly, puts you wayyyy into the danger zone for the stock injectors. I bet you're running 90% duty cycle or higher, you're gonna burn them out.

Best replace them when you replace the motor

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Name
    Ed
    Last Online
    12-05-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. It confirmed my gut feeling.

300 hp at the wheels, or about 360-370 hp at the fly, puts you wayyyy into the danger zone for the stock injectors. I bet you're running 90% duty cycle or higher, you're gonna burn them out.

Sorry - I was REALLY tired when I posted my update. The car already has bigger injectors fitted. ID1000. Good enough for 300awkw on E85.

I'll also be upgrading the fuel pump with the new motor to a DW300 as the Walbro can't go past 240awkw on E85.