Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Cheers Chap, it was just the laugh comment that read a bit weird and dismissive to me.

Glad to hear your experiences good and bad.

I agree about the simple upgrades of disks, pads, etc. I thought the same going from standard to Yellow stuff.
    Out of interest, how many miles have you done on said pads?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

EBC Yellows have been rubbished on the VR4 before. Maybe something went wrong with the design/manufacture on this particular size? I've never used them TBH although the red stuffs seemed okay.

I personally use Performance Friction - I would be running their discs as well but last time I needed to buy discs my wallet was a little light!! The PF disc is a much better two piece design than the MTec, it is a proper floating discs design, not just a two piece. It also fits out of the box!!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes View Post
    Cheers Chap, it was just the laugh comment that read a bit weird and dismissive to me.

Glad to hear your experiences good and bad.

I agree about the simple upgrades of disks, pads, etc. I thought the same going from standard to Yellow stuff.
    Out of interest, how many miles have you done on said pads?
    No probs Ollie, like I said it was aimed at the thread not your post & as for amount of miles I would say approx 7.5k

The problem everyone has on forums is not everything that someone finds good can work for another person

I don't think you had a bad set of yellow stuff like Nick says they don't seem to last/work well on the vr4

Maybe because of the weight which I think is around 1560kg with empty fuel tank

I see a lot of threads about tyres too & recommendations which in my opinion you just can't answer to help someone else because of the way the cars are set up & the type of driver you are

Ollie what do you use for your brakes at the mo bud ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    EBC Yellows have been rubbished on the VR4 before. Maybe something went wrong with the design/manufacture on this particular size? I've never used them TBH although the red stuffs seemed okay.

I personally use Performance Friction - I would be running their discs as well but last time I needed to buy discs my wallet was a little light!! The PF disc is a much better two piece design than the MTec, it is a proper floating discs design, not just a two piece. It also fits out of the box!!
    Nick do you use Brembo's ? I only ask as I drove a vr4 with standard calipers & one with brembo's & you could feel the braking power with Brembo's

Were as I have driven a gtr with brembo's & my skyline with standard calipers & the EBC set up & I can't tell the difference

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, I'm on Brembos now. To be honest, I don't notice much difference between stock brakes and Brembos until I am driving like an imbecile! Not including cheap pads on stock calipers - they never felt good. My experience of red stuff was stock calipers and my understanding of yellow stuff whinges is that they were also on stock calipers. I've never been an EBC fan boy - they have always seemed a little over priced and trading on a reputation that was better than their products. Maybe they just never found a solution that worked on the VR4 and their reputation is deserved elsewhere? I think Carbotech do the job, but I couldn't live with the dust burning into the wheels, and I also think that DS2500 work well on stock calipers. Both are far better than EBC on stock VR4 calipers IMO.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty's Revenge View Post
    No probs Ollie, like I said it was aimed at the thread not your post & as for amount of miles I would say approx 7.5k

The problem everyone has on forums is not everything that someone finds good can work for another person

I don't think you had a bad set of yellow stuff like Nick says they don't seem to last/work well on the vr4

Maybe because of the weight which I think is around 1560kg with empty fuel tank

I see a lot of threads about tyres too & recommendations which in my opinion you just can't answer to help someone else because of the way the cars are set up & the type of driver you are

Ollie what do you use for your brakes at the mo bud ?

Nick do you use Brembo's ? I only ask as I drove a vr4 with standard calipers & one with brembo's & you could feel the braking power with Brembo's

Were as I have driven a gtr with brembo's & my skyline with standard calipers & the EBC set up & I can't tell the difference
    Agreed about forums, most of the time I think people me included can't be arsed to keep typing to fill in the details and give full explanations to our comments.

The big shocker for me and my reason for commenting was the state of the front pads, they barely resembled a brake pad upon removal. The rears on the other hand had barely been tickled. It definitely must be a weight thing.

I believe recommendations should be regarded as opinions when it comes to such things as brakes and tyres. Too many variables between cars and drivers to make a recommendation valid. Although varied comments and experiences can help better inform out decisions so they will always be welcome.

I'm currently using Brembos with Pagid disks and pads (Eurospec's recommendation without spending a fortune)(Half the price of Brembo disks & Pads). I'm quite pleased so far having nothing else to compare it to, powerful breaking performance, not to dusty, and zero Brembo squeal.

If funds allow I'd like to try the Performance Friction disks and pads in the future but I think that would just be to stroke my ego. I'm know they'll be much better than the Pagids I have now but I really don't think I need more brakes than I have already.

IMO, upgraded disks and pads are better than standard, Brembos are even better, and I'll let you know when I upgrade further. My thoughts are they'll be even better still.
    You can definitely feel the power of Brembos over anything with standard callipers.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I ran pagid blues on standard discs when I first had my Brembo setup. I was very impressed with them, much better than some of the other cheaper stuff I've tried. And also minimal squeal compared to some other stuff. OMP group N stuff was great at stopping but could remove fillings at 100 paces!

I also agree that opinion on brakes is incredibly subjective, but I like to listen to other peoples findings - it can often sway me into a good decision on what to buy next time.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

OMG - brakes, tyres and oil...

Such a personal issue...

Individual needs depend on drivng style, braking/accelerating...

Upgrading brakes - pads then disks then calipers - fluid and lines as per your preference whenever...

Tyres - best you can afford - and sometimes that's with the tread pattern that looks best to you...

But as for oil - you read about this or that oil is best as had no problems with my car - how do you ever know about less or more effective lubrication and protection...

And then you have some statements about best to use 10-60 or some other numbers that bear no relation to manufacturers recommendations...

I must admit favouring Duckhams of correct viscosity because it was a nice colour, how could the engine NOT be protected by a green oil!!?

Car owners, a strange bunch...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12