Thread: Anybody here owned an Automatic V6.

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Anybody here owned an Automatic V6.

Hi guys, going to potentially view an auto V6 next week. Just wondering if anybody has any experiences of them to drive? How sluggish are they? How did you find having only 4 gears? (by the looks of the dash). I've owned an auto VR4 and found that more than adequate, but I'm just sure the V6 won't be quite as good. Cheers.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Nutter John had one for a bit that I borrowed while he was working on my car for a few days.

It did seem fairly well suited to the car, to be honest, from what I remember.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I test drove one many years ago. It wasn't too bad. It's still an INVECS gearbox, so will learn you driving patterns - you use more throttle, it'll react quicker and rev higher!

The thing to watch out is that they're prone to stripping the input splines on the torque converter.

Fuel consumption wise, it'll be less than the manual, firstly because of the nature of the gearbox, and secondly because you've got one fewer gears, so where as you might have been in 4th in a manual, you might still be in 3rd in the auto, for example.

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Thanks for that, it hasn't been serviced for many years and about 40,000 miles so I'm not too hopeful of it lasting long, but it's very cheap and I miss the V6 noise and the looks. It lasts as long as it lasts.

Don't suppose you have any idea of the availability or the frequency of sale of auto boxes these days incase it goes kaput? I've not been paying attention to ebay or the forums much this year.

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Oh and how much of a pain are we talking if the splines do strip themselves at some point?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

No idea how common spares are. I'd take a wild guess at £2k to sort if it goes. The auto is not as engaging as the manual, but it still sounds good and has good waftability.

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

If you want to have the fuel consumption of a VR-4 but with only 160hp - go for a V6 auto... Honestly, my car was a V6 NA Auto before I had out the VR-4 engine in. No change in fuel consumption - 4 gear AT box is not well suited on motorway speeds, The splines strip from the torque converter - which is a 2k EUR repair for an approximate lifetime of 100k kms (at that time I had my old torque converter repaired and extra welded for some strength).

Good point is - the amount of used spares should be good as Mitsubishi sold a lot of the 8G Galant series.
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by crazydriver81 View Post
    If you want to have the fuel consumption of a VR-4 but with only 160hp - go for a V6 auto... Honestly, my car was a V6 NA Auto before I had out the VR-4 engine in. No change in fuel consumption - 4 gear AT box is not well suited on motorway speeds, The splines strip from the torque converter - which is a 2k EUR repair for an approximate lifetime of 100k kms (at that time I had my old torque converter repaired and extra welded for some strength).

Good point is - the amount of used spares should be good as Mitsubishi sold a lot of the 8G Galant series.
    Hmm you've some what put me off haha. 90% of the time it'll be used for motorway driving so that's not good to hear. The cars done 93k miles so not a huge amount. Is the torque converter a completely separate part from the gearbox? As if it did break, it'd be looking to fit a secondhand part rather than fix the broken one...

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The torque converter is seperate. However the splines that strip are the ones that lock it to the gearbox input shaft. General wisdom is that if the splines on the tc go, the splines on the gearbox will also be not too clever so jyst replacing the tc is probably a very short term fix.

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    The torque converter is seperate. However the splines that strip are the ones that lock it to the gearbox input shaft. General wisdom is that if the splines on the tc go, the splines on the gearbox will also be not too clever so jyst replacing the tc is probably a very short term fix.
    In fact the connection between the splines and the torque converter fail/strip. So in the cases I know so far, it is done by replacing the torque converter itself or as it was in my case - have the torque converter re-furbished and re-welded. But anyhow - the V6 engine is a very good and reliable one - it just don't go to well with the 4-gear AT box. The jap. cars had the 5 gear AT box from the facelift on (except the 1.8 GDI) but this did not came to Europe, unfortunately.