Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Greetings from a long-lost member

It's been a while, thought I'd drop my Yuletide greetings and check in how people have been?

I'm still rolling with my Subaru *waits for sounds of cat calls to dissipate* and to be frank - but also Ryan, it's been the most thoroughly reliable car I've owned. How's it goin' 'ere then? There's no decent condition VR-4s this side of the world either rolling or advertised, a shame really - especially considering how much time's passed.

Miss the chats, they were grand. Trust all of you are well, won't name names but yeh... You know who you are.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Never heard of you!

Glad you're well Ryan, despite your obvious mental issues regarding vehicle choice! Reliability, schmeliability!!

I think one of the issues in NZ is that there were loads of VR-4s, but still being quite niche, the values plummeted - leading to it becoming almost disposable. So they were bought for peanuts, not looked after (rather expensive compared to purchase price), but still ragged.

Painting with a broad brush there, as there are undoubtedly a few sterling examples still around.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Ryan, good to hear from you again. It's rather quiet here recently. The long time members quietly fade away, with a few exceptions. We get very few posters from NZ now.
    Is your Subaru modified? How do you find the maintemance, I believe that the engine layout makes things awkward

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Hi Nev, Tim

It is indeed as you say Nev, VR-4s were cheap and the people that bought them typically had no idea on how to effectively maintain them. Put it this way, there is only one VR-4 in NZ that I could buy with certainty. Not even sure if he still owns it let alone frequents this forum.

As for the "Legbaru", speaking solely for the EZ30R, I've had to do very little maintenance as far as engine is concerned. Sure, accessing spark plugs for example might be a bit tricky but with the right tools and approach it's relatively easy. Certain things are more accessible than in the 6A13TT (alternator being a prime example). Aside from a strut brace, the car's as stock as a rock. The engine modifications available are generally fairly limited. There are supercharger kits available from Australia but they're not cheap!

I've been fastidious with maintenance since I bought it and aside from bushings, a wheel bearing is probably the most I'd have to replace so far.

It is extremely smooth, quiet, well balanced. Whilst it lacks the torque of a VR-4, it does pull cleanly all the way to the 7000rpm redline (max power @6600rpm). It lacks some features which I miss from VR-4, such as "one-touch" operation on all the windows (driver side only).

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

welcome back Ryan........ but don't get too excited. this place is dying a slow & painful death.

the banter in the past is long gone....... we need to get that back.... or else we're doomed, we're all doomed !!

I'm not blaming it on the newbies, but If any newbies (past few years ) have a problem with their car, someone on here can help. BUT................... pretend you're human with a sense of humour & likes a laugh!
    I have spoken to several of the old school members, & they are of the same opinion . no f. no cvr4 for them

the titanic went down slower than this place ! so....... al those reading my drabble..... lighten up & reboot CVR4.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Taking this post into consideration with the other you posted today @SGHOM I reckon you've been on the Sherry!

Name
    Craig
    Last Online
    01-05-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Super VR4 Leggy

Hi Ryan

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Taking this post into consideration with the other you posted today @SGHOM I reckon you've been on the Sherry!
    I have not really felt the club and its members to be dwindling although i do know that the Galants & Legnum VR4's /Owners must be getting less as the years pass.
    So will always be here in support

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM View Post
    welcome back Ryan........ but don't get too excited. this place is dying a slow & painful death.

the banter in the past is long gone....... we need to get that back.... or else we're doomed, we're all doomed !!

I'm not blaming it on the newbies, but If any newbies (past few years ) have a problem with their car, someone on here can help. BUT................... pretend you're human with a sense of humour & likes a laugh!
    I have spoken to several of the old school members, & they are of the same opinion . no f. no cvr4 for them

the titanic went down slower than this place ! so....... al those reading my drabble..... lighten up & reboot CVR4.

Howzit Derek! Man it's been a long time, can't believe I've been a member for nearly 11 years! Is Wodjno still around? Peter Thompson (sp)? What happened to the crazy Irishman?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigalant View Post
    Hi Ryan
    Hello mate.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    I don't need Christmas as an excuse to spend a night in with my Belgian friends, stella and artois .

but...... FYI Tim...... I drink far less now than I have done for most of my adult life !! the anti depressants I'm on take care of that !

I could easily drink at least 6 cans of very strong lager (10% + abv) nowadays I limit myself to a max of 4 cans of weaker lager. and once the tablets kick in & the scary monsters leave my bedroom...... I sleep like a baby

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Ryan

Nice to see another old 'un return...

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It is indeed as you say Nev, VR-4s were cheap and the people that bought them typically had no idea on how to effectively maintain them. Put it this way, there is only one VR-4 in NZ that I could buy with certainty. Not even sure if he still owns it let alone frequents this forum.
    Is it mine? haha, Glys old one, blue

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN-NZ View Post
    Is it mine? haha, Glys old one, blue
    Although being the only one of that colour that I've ever seen in NZ, I was referring to KiwiTT I think the handle was. Guy was fastidious with maintenance and spent thousands on servicing his car at Mitsubishi.

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Haha, yeah I didn’t think it’d be mine, especially if you knew how mines been in the last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi and welcome back!

I'm now in the process of having to actually do stuff to keep the car on the road, as opposed to just routine maintenance.

I'm assuming a lot of them have reached this point, but being so cheap to buy still, the extra care and attention isn't being given to a large majority that could do with it, so instead get sold off even cheaper, and are probably snapped up by people collecting them for parts, or just being scrapped.

I know if I weren't doing the work myself (or getting my dad to do it with no labour costs), mine wouldn't be getting this work done to it.

It's a shame they're not appreciating in value like some other similar cars are, still have no idea why there's no wider cult following for such an awesome car!

I've decided that there's no better car available for less than it'll cost me to keep mine going, so mine at least will live on for many more years if I can!

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

Hi Ryan,

Nope, He no longer own it haha, (If you are talking about this one)

10.jpg

Bought it off Ken in April of this year. Currently just sitting there and nothing being done with it
    Last edited by Bender; 30-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    1997 PFL Legnum VR-4 "Super Replica", White, Manual
    2001 FL Galant VR-4, Type V, Black, Manual

Past Owned
    1997 PFL Legnum ST-R, Pearl White, Tiptronic
    1998 PFL Legnum Super VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1998 PFL Legnum Super VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic
    1999 FL Legnum VR-4, Silver, Tiptronic

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    31-07-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Hi Ryan,

10.jpg

Bought it off Ken in April of this year. Currently just sitting there and nothing being done with it
    I have to agree it is a great shame that our VR's dont get the recognition they deserve. It needs someone who has public with influence to raise a campaign. Something that will make people think 'Yeah Where Are They.... i want one' public recognition will drive the price back up. They are such a great car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Hi Ryan,

10.jpg

That's my old car. Glad to see it's still around! Does it still run (with the failed injector or whatever it was)?

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    16-09-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    PFL Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That's my old car. Glad to see it's still around! Does it still run (with the failed injector or whatever it was)?
    It was running when I got it, but had a miss, set of spark plugs fix that issue, took it for few drives up and down the road and then it wouldn't start again, so remove the link ecu and replace with stock loom and ecu and still won't start, it not getting power to the fuel pump, we think we know the issue is but haven't had the time finish it.. I can't remember Ken saying anything about replacing a injector or anything like that...

I'm not sure what my long term plan with it Is, Am going swap a 100k engine into it (and remove those wastegates) and the front will be getting a repaint...

What kind of sound system did you have in it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast