Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

ABS Fault Codes - TCL light flashing

Hi all,

Strange one today! My car has started to flash the TCL light, as a result I thought I would look for codes - and I found some on the ABS ECU.

This ECU always used to log a couple of the sensors, but that never caused this issue or affected ABS functioning. As I think is already known, running data logging causes the ABS module to go crazy (pumping) so you can't do that while driving safely - If I try when stationary it should garbage values which do not change in every field.

When looking at wheel speeds on the AYC ECU though they are all read correctly, twice over - I assume these must be the same sensors?

Anyway, I got these codes presented when scanned in EvoScan and they will not clear. I have not yet actively tested the ABS, but can confirm Stability Control and AYC is still functional.

I'm pretty sure this started happening after my car went into the garage to have a calliper fixed and the wheels were replaced.

Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_20180106_2222022.jpg

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Ignore Evoscan when it comes to fault codes, it is unreliable in that area on the VR-4. Best bet is to retrieve codes with the flashy dash method.
    Also, you can only clear ABS codes with a MUT-II/III.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Ignore Evoscan when it comes to fault codes, it is unreliable in that area on the VR-4. Best bet is to retrieve codes with the flashy dash method.
    Also, you can only clear ABS codes with a MUT-II/III.
    Thanks Nev,

I'll do the flashy dash later.

I didn't realised EvoScan couldn't do that in MUTIII mode. Will take that under advisement. Does that mean I basically have to go to a dealer for diagnostics?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

For flashy dash diagnostic no. They are reliable. To reset stored codes on safety systems then probably yes.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I believe it is only SRS fault codes that won't clear without disconnecting the battery - however I may be mistaken.

So - do the flashy dash to get the exact fault code stored - if it's an ABS sensor fault it will likely affect all the connected systems which use the wheel speed sensors - ABS, TCL and AYC - but get the fault codes from each system to be sure. But, as you said, if the AYC ECU is reading all of the wheel speed sensors correctly, that end must be working OK.

You also don't necessarily need to go to a dealer, I know for sure that Snap-On Solus and Bluepoint G-Scan both work for clearing SRS codes on a VR-4, so these should also work if the ABS fault code won't clear after fixing the issue, so you may be able to find an independent who can reset them if necessary.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

To update,

I have done the flashy dash and got TCL codes 61 and 76.
    Both relating to communication with Engine ECU and Autobox ECU.

One of the tasks the garage was last doing was meant to be reconnecting my reverse light wires but they weren't about to do this for some reason. I'm guessing maybe they did something stupid and blew the fuse (or hopefully didn't burn out the A/T ECU).

My car is manual converted, but I kept the A/T ECU attached and haven't experienced this behaviour before, and its been converted for like a year now!

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Oh and also since yesterdays attempt to clear the ABS codes - my ABS light is now permanently blinking, even when the car is running - but no faults reported on flashy dash.

Any ideas with that?

EDIT - Updated and fixed.

Ok so I checked after some forum searching to find that fuse 3 in the cabin is the A/T fuse - and it was blown!
    Replaced with spare and now no TCL flashing warning.

ABS was still constantly flashing so I took it out to test the AYC/TCL/ABS - after flooring it out of a corner AYC and TCL/ASC did work as intended.

Then I slammed on the brakes (which desperately need looking at it seems - it was almost impossible to get them to lock up!) and as soon as ABS triggered the light went out.

All in all everything is back to as it was before, I'm guessing the garage shorted something trying to sort the reverse light... I will have words as I just switched to a new performance car garage.
    Last edited by Piers1989; 08-01-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, sorry, the SRS light needs resetting by Mitsi (or a Mitsi tool). The ABS light usually sorts itself out when used after the relevant fault is remedied, as you have discovered.

And thanks for coming back with the info!