Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

It's finally happened

The incredibly sad day has finally arrived, My Galant vr4 has surcomed to rust and is no longer road worthy. It has gone too far for it to be rescued. I had hoped it wasn't quite as bad, still repairable, but sadly no.
    Found out last night, didn't get much sleep as I loved this car, the best (although problematic) car I've ever had, and poss likely to.

So what do I do now? I would love to be able to find another and swap my bits over, but I think finding another black FL galant is going to be a tall order.
    Do I look for a while in hope?
    Do I strip my car, keep the good bits, in hope of finding another?
    Do I just sell everything I have, and go anther way?

Very annoying as I've just bought a vipec, a new perrin, a new expensive larger battery, and all the other bits I've collected, and in most cases, not had the chance to fit yet.

So if anyone knows of any galant vr4's going cheap, less rust the better. Not worried on man or auto, as mine is manual (that can be swapped)

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4

I'm sorry to hear it is gone
    Perhaps take a non black and get a respray done in the future - Def consider staying VR4, and since you have a fully "working" parts car, maybe a non-runner is the way to go

If there are any up-coming events I'm going to that you would like to attend then I can easily collect from Didcot Parkway, which should be easy to get to from Yeovil.

Best of luck

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Sad news, my personal view, you spend far too much on nice bits to give up vr4 now, find relatively rust free in any colour (this could be changed and you end up with fresh paint AND nice bits) or import one high mile/low spec and transplant over your bits.

Good luck whichever route you go.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Better the devil you know, IMO. Unless you've got the money up front to buy another car, you could at the very least give it an attempt for about ~£300 in outlay for a welder, some gloves and some tin snips.

Rust is simple to sort - just cut out the rotten stuff, cut/bend up some new stuff, and weld into place. Anyone can weld with enough practice. It doesn't have to be particularly neat (and a grinder can hide a multitude of sins!) - it just needs to be reasonable. Unless you spend 12 hours a day for 30 years welding, you won't get welds like you see plastered over Facebook and on YouTube - those guys are artists at the pinnacle of their trade.

I'm going through the exact same process with mine - doing the worst to get it through an MOT (I need to drive it, I believe you've got another car to use in the meantime), and then hacking away at it little bit by little bit.

There's just not another alternative vehicle out there that's as good, IMO, and I can't afford up front to buy a fresh import with no rust!

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Very sad news Colin

When you Love VR4's like we do can you really give them up? Like Adam said, you've already spent more than you'd ever need to again on the nice bits.

I'm in too deep myself and never see a way out. I didn't let a lamp post get in the way of VR4 ownership and I wouldn't let tin worm neither. In fact I need to start putting a bit more in the pension fund for a future fresh import incase I crash it or Ginger takes hold.

I wish you all the best and a bit of luck finding another one you can swap your bits onto.
    But should you go another way? I'd like to be near the front of the orderly cue for your parts please.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

This is sad news Colin. I know how much time and effort you have invested in the car. I would consider a different colour car to keep you in a VR4. Get everything swapped onto it and enjoy.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    john
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry to hear this about your car Colin,hope you can come up with a solution that you can get a car back on the road.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Well, the plan in motion at mo. will be to strip my car, keep all the good bits. And keep a look out for a fl galant in good condition and cheap (if such a thing exsists)

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've been through it myself Colin so I feel your pain. My advantage was that I saw it coming for over a year before I got to your stage so I had time to search out the replacement. Looking back, I made the right decision to get another one. I still enjoy it.

Name
    Kevin
    Last Online
    19-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Legnum

Don't think I've chatted to you yet Colin still a bit new round here. Hi there!

Damn another VR4 struggles with the UK climate. Although I feel it's just the Salt not necessarily the wet.

Here is white Legnum at 71K for £3995. What the under side is like no one knows and you could be at the same point again in a couple of years time.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...bo-4wd/7753042

Here is another Manual fresh import it says? £5000

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/c...manual/7951461

But they are both PFL's

Or you could go the route I took at and Give Miguel at Newera a ring for a fresh import of your spec. Just don't ask for a manual there will be a long wait unless your's lucky, because He will not buy a crap car just in case the deal falls through and he's stuck with a car he can't shift. But I was told the Auto's were available over there. The tax's and the damned exchange rate aren't in your favour though at the moment. I did a write up on here somewhere with what you can expect to pay in taxes etc.... as of 2016 prices but mark the price down for an Auto as they are much more plentiful in supply.

Or if you have second car have a go at welding it up and get your mechanic to check your work so that you can drive safely with a re MOT.

Regards

Kev

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by 94000 Miles View Post

Here is white Legnum at 71K for £3995. What the under side is like no one knows and you could be at the same point again in a couple of years time.
    the MOT history is odd on that one. its barely moved since 2007 and had a couple of skipped years! no advisory at all. so it could have been a garage queen, or it could have been very very broken. friendly MOT tester also a possibility.

Name
    Kevin
    Last Online
    19-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Legnum

Ah Yes I hadn't thought of checking that, good one Jake

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    27-10-2023
    Country
    Japan
    Car
    2000 Galant VR4

Thats heartbreaking to hear Hopefully a good replacement turns up soon!
    Daily driver / circuit car / drag car / show car / weekend cruiser / project car