Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Air intake system

I'm looking for an aftermarket system or filter to replace stock. I had a HKS mushroom filter fitted to my V6 Sport which I owned a few years back, which really brought out the V6 noise. I'm reluctant to go back down that route as I've read the mushroom filters are terrible for the engine. I know the standard filter and airbox is considered best for performance, but really after that addictive V6 noise. I've had the silencer removed from my powerflow exhaust system, which helped with the sound a bit, but not as much as I'd like. Does anyone have anything suitable for sale or a relevant link? Google seems very sparce.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

I would have thought the box would create turbulence in the corners restricting air flow? But I could be wrong, it can't be a coincidence though that high performance cars use forced induction, if be interested in a aftermarket induction system

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

The stock airbox is (has) a tuned resonator - if you stuff a scanner on the car and live log the manifold pressure (boring cheap bluetooth obd2 worked on my 2001 v6 sport) you will see that it has slight positive manifold pressure for a bit of the rev range.. if memory serves its about 4500-5500 wide open throttle. this is likely why messing with it often hurts power! look at the intake elbow, you will find a hollow weirdly shaped box, thing, attached to the bottom, behind the air box and MAF - that is the magic maker, i believe...

I would imagine you can find a high performance panel filter (never an oiled one!) that might help things a bit. otherwise, just removing the snorkel might help build induction sound (at the cost of intake temps and maybe moving the resonance).
    there is also the option of an accidentally-on-purpose exhaust leak if you are actually mad.

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
    The stock airbox is (has) a tuned resonator - if you stuff a scanner on the car and live log the manifold pressure (boring cheap bluetooth obd2 worked on my 2001 v6 sport) you will see that it has slight positive manifold pressure for a bit of the rev range.. if memory serves its about 4500-5500 wide open throttle. this is likely why messing with it often hurts power! look at the intake elbow, you will find a hollow weirdly shaped box, thing, attached to the bottom, behind the air box and MAF - that is the magic maker, i believe...

I would imagine you can find a high performance panel filter (never an oiled one!) that might help things a bit. otherwise, just removing the snorkel might help build induction sound (at the cost of intake temps and maybe moving the resonance).
    there is also the option of an accidentally-on-purpose exhaust leak if you are actually mad.
    Some good knowledge there! Removing the snorkel sounds like it's worth a try, don't really think it's a good idea to fit a mushroom filter again. Interesting you say about never using an oiled filter, why is this? I think it may already have a K&N oiled panel filter fitted. I'll have to check!

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

the oil can hurt MAF's. not sure if all, not sure if ours, but i wouldn't want to chance it. others will know if its safe for us!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

You'll never make a VR-4's intake sound as good as a non-turbo - the turbos mute and block the sound bouncing back from the engine as you get from the non-turbo. It's one thing I really miss about my n/a V6 Galants!!

You can add different filters and change the noise a little, but the best thing is the standard airbox, even with a standard filter, but better with an uprated filter, if you can find one, a HKS Super Hybrid panel filter is great, and a lot of us are running them.

The airflow through the MAF is very important for proper fuelling, and other filters often mess with that - it's more crucial with a turbo car that you're fuelling right all the time, on a n/a it's less critical.

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    You'll never make a VR-4's intake sound as good as a non-turbo - the turbos mute and block the sound bouncing back from the engine as you get from the non-turbo. It's one thing I really miss about my n/a V6 Galants!!

You can add different filters and change the noise a little, but the best thing is the standard airbox, even with a standard filter, but better with an uprated filter, if you can find one, a HKS Super Hybrid panel filter is great, and a lot of us are running them.

The airflow through the MAF is very important for proper fuelling, and other filters often mess with that - it's more crucial with a turbo car that you're fuelling right all the time, on a n/a it's less critical.
    Mine is a V6, I don't have a VR4 anymore my previous V6 sounded incredible and I just can't seem to replicate the noise on my current V6 Sport. Maybe back to a mushroom filter it is...

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post

Do you know if the airbox on the V6 and VR4 are the same? I can find the HKS filter but only under the VR4 guise...

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm fairly certain the filters are the same part number

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I can confirm that V6 filter fits a vr4, so the reverse must be true

Name
    Charlie
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Gone for one of the HKS Hybrid panel filters. I'll see if that makes any noise difference, and if not, try and find myself an induction system!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The filter is the same but the snorkel and snorkel fitting to the airbox are different.