Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blow through MAF does anyone have any experience.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The link/vipec cost does not include a tune. That is supply only.

Dave, I love your back to basics engineering projects and you get full marks from me for trying stuff and doing stuff. For me though, the time and effort required is not worth the cost of a second hand map ecu. For around £100 you could buy a map 2 ecu second hand which not only does the maf delete but also learns the maf settings before hand, is easy to reprogram/tune, can control timing and extra injectors and boost and nos etc.
    It wouls cost me a lot more than £100 in time, let alone components, to achieve a fraction of that.
    I realise there is more satisfaction in doing it yourself but most people are either short of hours or short of patience!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Nick has explained it better than I can - and having messed around with MAF-to-MAP over the last couple of years with my Anglia...

As soon as you change anything on the inlet tract, you completely change the pressure/airflow relationship - so even if you've got it working OK, a change could mess your tuning up.

Therefore, it's now worth the money to me to have a unit that is *designed* to work with a MAP sensor, and the Vipec/Link provides loads of very good methods of being able to tweak the tune - for example it provides good logging which tells you exactly what it's changing in what cell to match your target AFR, so you can then make an adjustment.

Even a MAP-ECU doesn't come with a simple lookup table built in, and it requires tuning to get it right. It does do some autolearning - but only with a MAF - once you've removed the MAF, you're on your own. With the MAP-ECU at least you've got a nice bit of software on the PC to set this up, change the output on the fly, and log with - if you roll your own you're looking at potentially months just for getting some software up and running.

I've decided now my time is worth more than the money it costs to buy a Link ECU - you're a busy man so I think you can probably relate to that a little too!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

Boost control

Ebay item no. 323115427378
    Includes self learning MAF to MAP conversion.
    £165 brand new. Includes warranty and PC software and USB cable.

Tempted!!!

Also does boost control amongst other things
    Last edited by paulg23; 08-03-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Extras
    Too much is just enough.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

That looks like similar spec to the MAP ECU 2. It says only four injectors, but I am not sure the MAP ECU 2 touched the injectors directly, I think the fueling was all down to the fueling tables which sent the frequency output of the virtual maf to the stock ECU.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    13-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr4 rall

So if someone was to buy that piggyback ecu, what are the key benefits briefly, I've read the product prescription that tells you everything it can do but how is it an improvement over just the standard ecu?

I want to replace the ecu and old tech with an upto date brand new unit maybe next year or So, but as I'm trying to learn as much as I can I read this thread and thought at £165 I'll buy that n use it now if it is a worthwhile improvement?

How would I go about tuning/mapping that? Guessing garages would only wants to deal with omex, dts, emerald etc

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

The ECU you talking about is a piggy back ECU,
    So it is fitted as well as you existing ECU and splices into the factory Wiring loom.
    It piggy backs on top of you existing ecuu.
    If you are looking to remove your existing ECU and replacing it with an after market ECU.
    You will be paying about £1000 to get it purchased, you will have to fit it your self. You will have to pay For another £300 or so for a setup and tune.
    So you are looking at paying approx £1300 for one.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Bye for Now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12