Thread: Fuel Pump Check Connector location?

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT

Fuel Pump Check Connector location?

So I'm back in Ireland with my Galant VR4 and for the life of me I can't get it to start

I've added a new canister of Unleaded, and can get it to turn over with EasyStart, but then the engine dies as soon as I give it any sort of acceleration

Therefore I'm wondering if the Fuel Pump might be the problem and / or the Fuel Pump not getting power and wonder if anyone has suggestions how to check and can point me in the location of the Fuel Pump Check Connector please?

I'm guessing that this will have +12V if I meter it between the test connector and the car body ground which sounds like a good way to start checking

Spark seems there as the can does turn over with EasyStart as long as we keep spraying it!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and places I have read so far:

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/...page=0&fpart=1

http://img.galantvr4.org/103000/103552-0-0-0.jpg

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/...page=4&fpart=1

Judder

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

None of the above will help you as they are not for the 8th gen VR4.

Start by removing the rear seat base under which you'll find an access panel for the fuel pump. The thick black wire with white dots is ground, and thick black wire with white stripe is fuel pump +VE (+12V). Check you have voltage there.

Note that there is also a relay on the bulkhead which puts a resistor in the wiring that lowers the voltage when the car is on tickover (so it doesn't overfuel). If you check the voltage at idle or whe the car isn't running, you'll see less that 12volts at the pump. If I remember correctly, it'll be 7-8volts. When you drive, the relay switches and you'll get 12v at the pump.

Fuel pump VR4 (1).jpg

https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attach...8&d=1335259524

Images originally supplied by GalantOnly

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TAR; 01-04-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT

Awesome - thanks TAR and very much appreciated the reply and yes mine is a 1997!

From the picture I can see the Fuel Pump Relay #2 on the engine bulk head and the resistor you mention

Is the Fuel Pump Relay #1 still behind the glove box like the other threads above say?

I'm wondering if I've knocked the relay some how which means even when the ignition gives power, the relay doesn't fire so the fuel pump doesn't get connected...

As you say a good way to check is to get to the fuel pump and meter it - any tips on removing the back seats to do so or is it a case of pulling and seeing how you get on!!!

Many thanks again

Judder

Update: I found this PDF on Mitsubishi, Kiev which talks about being able to test the fuel pump by supplying +12V to the No. 2 terminal of the Fuel Pump Relay so might try that too

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 15.14.00.png

and the Fuel Pump / Control Relay test (where is that!)

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 15.26.00.png

and (if it's the right version of the Galant) a test connector at E

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 15.25.43.png

Plus diagnostics procedure

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 15.19.46.png
    Last edited by Judder; 01-04-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

'Is the Fuel Pump Relay #1 still behind the glove box like the other threads above say?'

I think it's behind the radio (if I remember correctly). There are 2 on a metal bar, one is the ecu relay the other the fuel pump 1 relay.

Have you considered getting full memebreship on here? It's only £10 and gives you access to a wealth of information about our cars. the full Jap manuals are also in our archives.
    https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/content.php?117

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT

Yes thanks again and good advice about becoming a member - I used to be one of GTOUK quite a while ago too

My profile on the left now should be showing my new member status so if there are any more articles that you know of that would help it would be great to get any pointers towards those if you have them :+1:

I found this picture of the Fuel Relay 1 (Location P) so I can potentially check that too (if none of all of the other things above help me diagnose my issue!!)

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 15.25.43.png

Happy Easter BTW!!!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

A search for fuel pump will bring back lots of posts some of which discuss cars which won't run due to issues with the fuel pump wiring etc.

I would definitely check under the seat. On the estate (Legnum) there are two clips that you pull out at the front of the seat base to then lift out the seat. I think it's the same on the saloon.
    Next, check the relay in the engine bay, it will provide a 12V switched supply to the pump (via the resistor at idle). After that work back to the dash.

If you don't find the issue, post again and we'll see if we can assist further.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Try unplugging the maf. It is possible that the fuelling is wrong because the maf is not reading properly.
    The rear seat base has two clips on the frint edge by the carpet. Pull the ring forwards and lift the seat.

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT

Hi guys

Well I had another go on the car today in the hour in-between the torrential rain (it's in Southern Ireland after all) and still no luck starting it but some good photos and a video which hopefully the experts on here can advise what might be causing the issue

Fuel Pump Relay

The one on the Galant VR4 is a 5 prong relay, rather than a 3 prong relay as in the above diagnostics manual from Mitsubishi. So my intention was to provide +12V to the drive wire on this to test the fuel pump, but as I didn't have the wiring for this I didn't test it. I did however clean the connections as these were covered in a grey / yellow paste which looked like it wouldn't have helped.

Here's a picture of the relay and where it is located in the engine bulk head - any advice welcome on whether it is the correct relay, the connections and how to test!

FuelPumpRelay2.jpg

FuelPumpRelayConnector.jpg

Fuel Pump

Thanks for the advice on the two circle clips holding the rear seat in place, and as you say if you pull these towards the dashboard, the rear seat levers out. Under this I found the fuel pump and sensor as per the photos below. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or should I be checking the Black White dot / Black White line wires as per above at this point for 12V power?

FuelTankUnderRearSeta.jpg

FuelPumpWiringConnector.jpg

Finally I put in a brand new battery and took a quick video of the turn over process. On the first turn it sounds like the engine is trying to start, but after that it just turns over.

https://youtu.be/XA9YzOpwsRU

So I'm kind of stuck at this point bar trying more easy start and / or trying to find a new relay to replace it with, so any advice very very welcome

Regards

Judder

Addendum:

How about I try the Fuel Pump Relay resistor bypass mod as recommended on the 3000GT / Stealth website as that appears to use the same Fuel Pump Relay?

http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumprelaybypass.htm

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 17.06.22.png
    Last edited by Judder; 02-04-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Iirc the fuel pump relay flicks between 7v and 12v. The car only puts 7v to the pump under low load conditions.
    I think some have hard wired by bypassing the relay but I have never bothered.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

That relay is just a regular 5 pin changeover relay so it should be easy to see where to apply the 12v to test. Did you look at the image I posted above?
    The bypass isn't needed unless you have an uprated pump which requires a higher operating voltage, even then, it's debateable if it makes any real difference.

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 TT

Apologies - I forgot to check back on the schematic you posted!

Yes, as per the GT3000 one it appears that connecting pin 5 of the harness to pin 2 will hardwire the full voltage all the time, but I will also check that I have continuity between pin 2 and pin 5 on the relay as that is the default setting.

Also I should be able to check between pin 5 and the chassis with a multimeter that I am getting +12V at the Fuel pump relay

Also from the diagram it looks like I can check (as you suggested!) +12V between pin 9 (2B-W) and pin 8 (1.25B) on the fuel pump harness - one for tomorrow afternoon when apparently we have a few hours of dry weather over here

Fuel-pump-VR4-Annotated.jpg